PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a breast reduction surgery?

hollybloom24
05-27-2008, 09:15 PM
After having and then breastfeeding my girls (three now) my body is just not the same! I am done having kids, and no matter how much weight I loose or exercise I do, my breasts remain HUGE. So huge, that I practically shut them in drawers I am leaning over. I can't sleep without a full support bra. I have upper back pain daily. I have to buy huge tops just to accomodate my chest that don't fit the rest of my body. I was a B cup before kids, now I am a D.

Sad as it may seem, I am just not happy with the way I look. So not only am I physically uncomfortable, but mentally uncomfortable too. My husband is supportive of whatever I want to do (surgery or no surgery).

Did anyone have breast reduction surgery? More specifically, surgery that insurance paid for any portion or all of, and if so, what was that based on?

I realize it is a painful process with a potentially long recovery. Any insight on how long of a recovery you had and how long the pain lasted would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if I should see an orthopedic surgeon regarding the backpain and start the process that way, or just see a plastic surgeon. I am willing to pay out of pocket for the surgery, although obviously if there is a medical diagnosis I would be happy if insurance paid for it.

LED
05-27-2008, 09:28 PM
My mom had breast reduction surgery that was completely covered by her insurance. She was huge and it caused serious back pain and issues with her shoulders and spine which was why she could get it covered. She waited till she was 60 to do it, and loved it so much she wished she had done it years earlier. Because she was so successful and so positive about the surgery, my cousin also had it done. They are both new women now. Based on their stories, I say go for it! Good luck with you decision!

TraciG
05-27-2008, 09:42 PM
My SIL just had her's done Friday ! Her insurance didn't cover it. Her pain wasn't bad, she had her drain's out today & so far is very happy. She also had a lift, she went with a double D to a C.

I have the opposite, breat implants BUT I wish I could have them smaller, I went way to big & at the time didn't even think about breast feeding .

ANYWAY I think you should do it !

good luck

MaiseyDog
05-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I had a breast reduction 13 years ago. I went from spilling out of a DDD to a D cup. My surgery was completely covered by insurance. I was already having back pain (keep in mind I was only 19) and had indentions in my shoulders from the straps. I'm not sure exactly what determines if insurance will cover it or not. I would recommend you meet with a plastic surgeon and go from there. I know that my surgeon was incredibly well educated on what could and could not be covered by insurance.

Financial issues aside, I will say it is easily one of the best things I have ever done. The physical relief was wonderful, but what really impacted my life the most was the increase in self esteem and how I felt about my body. I didn't fully grasp how much my large chest affected how I interacted with others or how confident I felt in myself.

Recovery for me was not bad. I know everyone is different, but after the first 3 days I was easing back into my normal life and by 4 weeks was completely recovered (to the point of forgetting I had had it done).

Anyway, good luck with your surgery. I hope you are as pleased with the results as I have been.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Not to hijack but I just wanted to say that I'm so glad you started this thread. After having 2 children and breastfeeding both I'm currently wearing an H cup. I didn't know that some insurances will cover the surgery. Is there a link somewhere with information?

kellij
05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I checked into this at one point when I was younger, decided I wanted to wait until I was done having babies though. Anyway, back then whether or not insurance paid for the redux had something to do with the amount removed from your breasts. Like it had to be a pretty decent amount, because that made it more physically necessary. So it boils down to the fact that you should call your insurance agency and ask them because it will vary depending on the insurance.

I think they also take into consideration back pain, dents in shoulders, etc. The dr. took pictures of me and I think they send them into the insurance agency.

I've heard lots of positive stories about the sugery. My SIL had a bad experience because she got really infected afterward. Unfortunately I watched it on one of those health channels one time, and that has made me much more hesitant!

JustMe
05-28-2008, 01:19 AM
I just had breast reduction surgery on 2/21 and am thrilled. I was very large...don't know what size, a I never wore the right one and am a large C now. I had back pain, worried about health concerns as I aged, and could not exercise. The pain was no where as bad as I would have imagined...and I am quite a wimp. The recovery process was long and not linear (after a few weeks I had days when I felt good followed by days when I felt awful). It was very fatiguing for me for a long time. I took 3 weeks off from work, but probably didn't really feel close to normal (again, not in terms of pain but just energy level and a general feeling of being off) for about 6 weeks. I think it probably took me a full 2.5 months to feel completely back to myself, but as I said these were not severe symptoms.

My insurance did pay for it, although I still had a large out of pocket expense, just because my insurance is not great. As far as what to do first, I would say to go to a plastic surgeon first and see what they recommend as far as insurance. I did not have to see an orthopedic person or anyone else to address back pain first, although I know some people have. Plastic surgeons have people in their office who are quite experienced in working with insurance companies and they will be able to advise you about what you need to do.

Feel free to ask me any other questions.

hollybloom24
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow! Thanks to everyone for giving such good information! I have HUGE indents on my shoulders (when I can actually take my bra off - even to go in the shower it's uncomfortable.)

I am going to start researching plastic surgeons this weekend. I'm in Massachusetts if anyone has suggestions.

If anyone else has any thoughts or advice, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks to all who took the time (which I know is limited and precious!) to share their stories. It helps to hear from real people what the process was like.

sidmand
05-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I am going to start researching plastic surgeons this weekend. I'm in Massachusetts if anyone has suggestions.

If you find someone, please let us know. I'm in MA too and I was planning to ask my OB at my post-partum visit if she could recommend any plastic surgeons (she's at Beth Israel and I'm thinking there must be some good plastic surgeons in that area). I've been thinking about breast reduction surgery for a long time. And now I'm thinking as long as I'm doing that, perhaps a lift and tummy tuck too (hey, why not shoot for the moon!).

I actually had a consult a few years ago, but I chickened out and left the office (there was an emergency and a long wait...). I'm not huge huge, but they are fairly pendulous (although I finally found a bra that works okay). And now I'm thinking it'll be hard not to pick up two little ones. I was planning to wait at least a year though (still breastfeeding), but still...I'm guessing I won't do anything for a little while still.

Alice523
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I had it done in Oct 2004 and it was a piece of cake! It was painful, but nothing too bad and certainly nowhere near the pain of recovering from the endoscopic sinus surgery I'd had a few years prior. (I shudder just thinking about that recovery.) I was in pain for a few days and taking the bandages off to shower the first time post-surgery really hurt. Other than that, the only inconvenience was having to wear a front-zip sports bra for a few weeks as I healed. I don't think I was in pain more than a week or two. Less than a month later, I was fully back to normal, with only minimal red scarring, and now, the scars have turned to white, like stretch marks. They're only on the underside of my breast because I opted out of the resizing of the areola (I had yet to have children and wanted to breastfeed). I went from a D to a C, which wasn't a huge change, but made a big difference to me. Unfortunately, with nursing, I went up to an F (DDD) but it was temporary and after DS weaned, they went back down. It also didn't interfere with BFing - not that it is a concern of yours but for anyone who later reads this - and I was able to nurse DS for 18 months. It was one of the best decisions I ever made!

If you are trying to get insurance to cover it, make sure to start documenting the pain now, even if you're not 100% on the surgery. You're going to need that to get it covered any time in the future.

cvanbrunt
05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I realize it is a painful process with a potentially long recovery. Any insight on how long of a recovery you had and how long the pain lasted would be appreciated.

I had it done in 1991 or 92 during my senior year of college. Best thing I ever did for myself. Insurance covered it. Same problems, sore back, no bra comfortable. The surgeon knows what to say to get it covered. I had it done over Christmas break and was back on campus with no problems in January. My friend had to carry my suitcase up to room but that was it. I never took more than Tylenol.

hollybloom24
05-30-2008, 08:31 AM
This is all very helpful!!!

elephantmeg
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
from reading History and Physicals from breast reductions it seems the insurance points are: have attempted to lose wt via excercise to improve back pain etc but continue to have back pain.

hollybloom24
05-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I did read today that sometimes insurance companies will cover the surgery if 454 grams of fat from each breast is removed (which is just about a pound.) Not sure what other criteria needs to be met in addition to that.

I hate to call my insurance company (BC/BS) and ask their criteria because I don't want to be "flagged" and then have a problem later.

isaiahsmom
05-31-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd love to have it done. After BFing 2 kids I am around a G cup, depending on the bra. I would prefer to lose 50lbs and see what happens, but even when I was 50lbs lighter I was a DD. i may check out a plastic surgeon after reading this thread. Thanks.