PDA

View Full Version : How much sleep does my DH need???

proudsahmof3
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Every night he goes to bed about an hour after me, makes noise, trips over something and swears loud enough that he wakes me up. When I finally fall back asleep an hour later, his suffocating scuba diver snoring begins, waking me once more. I take the opportunity to use the bathroom (for the first of many times during the night, future DC#3 always works that into the schedule) and fall back asleep. DS #1 wakes up and needs water. I get it and fall back asleep. DS#2 wakes up and needs milk. I get it and fall back asleep (why don't they ever go to him???). DH continues to snore. I gently nudge him, he mumbles something and rolls over (stopping snoring, at least for the moment). I fall back asleep. He's snoring AGAIN!!! I give up on the nudging and give him a full kick in the a**. He sits up, says "what!?" and mentions something about not getting any sleep. I get up this morning when DS #1 wakes me, and DH is STILL SLEEPING! He gets up an hour later and races around the house to get ready like it's my fault he slept in!! How much sleep does he need?? I'm pregnant and only averaging about half of what he is getting! And what is with the snoring? I swear it wasn't happening 6 months ago and now it is every night. What is the deal????:angry-smiley-005:

Aaaah. That feels better. :boogie:

SnuggleBuggles
05-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I was wondering if maybe he has sleep apnea? My mom went in for a sleep study and found that due to her sleep apnea even though she was in bed "sleeping" for 7-8 hours her body was only really getting the equivilant of 3-4 hours. Since she got the breathing mask she has been gettong tons of great sleep- and not snoring anymore.

I would totally lay out some rules with your dh about sharing the night time gig...and buy him some Breathright strips and see if they heklp. Switch the 2 and 4yo to cups of water (or giant thermoses so you know they won't run out ;)). Explain that mom needs her sleep and I bet at least your 4yo will get it. :)

((((Hugs))) I am sorry your dh is giving you such poor sleep!

Beth

elizabethkott
05-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Ohhhhh, amen sister.
My DH gets to sleep in EVERY Saturday, saying, "I NEED another half hour."
Fine, great. Where's MY half hour? Because you bet your sweet bottom it's not there on Sunday morning, when he's "on" and the Monsterbaby is oddly active and vocal in the living room rather than quiet and eating in the kitchen...
And the NAPS! WTH?! Nap-time is when you get things DONE! You don't get to nap while *I* run around like a crazy woman!!! That's a good two hours in which you could get stuff done, or put in your time on the treadmill as opposed to napping when the Monsterbaby naps, waking when he wakes, and then saying to me, "Oh, I feel much better now. I think I'll get on the treadmill while you feed him lunch."
GAHHHHHH!
That *does* feel better.
You are not alone.
I say we slip them both some Red Bull every night for the rest of the week.
:innocent:

kijip
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
I would consider a sleep apnea evaluation. My husband was frequently tired and dragging but doctors never suspected apnea because he does not snore and is very fit and slim (not the general physique of someone with apnea I guess). Finally they evaluated him, he got a CPAP and MAN our lives are much easier. MUCH easier.

happy2bamom
05-29-2008, 09:18 AM
I can relate! DH has been snoring so much over the last 2 months that he now sleeps in our guest bedroom. He doesn't even try to sleep in our bed. He has had several sinus infections, which he says is causing his snoring, but I'm thinking about pushing him to ask for the sleep apnea test. My FIL uses the CPAP now and my MIL says that it has made a world of difference and NO more snoring.

I am also the only one "on duty" during the night. Regardless of how much sleep DH gets at night or how late he sleeps in, if he isnt' at work then he HAS to take a nap. It is so irritating! Over the weekend he got up every morning to go fishing with his brother (they left the house around 5 am and got home by 10am) and then dragged around the house until after lunch, then took himself a 3 -4 hour nap. So my holiday weekend basically consisted of me taking care of the kids all day, which is like every other day of my life. Irritating!

kozachka
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Start training both your older DC and your DH. DS has learned that there is a glass of water on his bedside table and he should only ask one of us for water if it's empty. DS has also learned that he can and should ask DH for help., that mommy is not the only person capable of fetching water from the kitchen. I've been known to send DS to DH in the middle of the night because it was DH's turn to help DS. DS is also learning a concept of "it's mommy's turn to sleep in". I've also given up on the no TV rule to get some sleep on Saturday mornings. DS knows how to get yogurt from the fridge and eat a banana. And he does not ask for help when he needs to pee, he just goes to the bathroom. And I insist on DH and DS leaving the house (unless it rains or cold outside) when it's my turn to sleep in. Boys can be trained, no matter their age ;). Good luck with it!

kransden
05-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Besides the rest of the #$%, seriously have him checked out for sleep apena. He has all the classic symptoms. Oh, and try not to strangle him ;)