PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER sinus infection

bubbaray
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
OMG, I'm D.O.N.E. Really, I am. I think this is round 4 or 5 of antibiotics for sinus infection since January. And, this time, I have green gunk coming out of one eye. Neato.

I am so worn out its not even funny. I left work before lunch to go to the dr, took the rest of the day off to go to the pharmacy and get xrays. A little retail therapy along the way.

But, man-o-man. I'm sooooooo over this sinus infection thing. My dr says depending on the xray results, she's going to refer me to an ENT next. She wanted to give me a different drug, but couldn't b/c I'm still nursing DD#2. She's given me a bunch of different samples of allergy sprays too (I was using Flonase, now I've got a sample of one that starts with an A and also one of Nasonex, plus an Rx for Nasocort).

I'm not even over the last sinus infection -- I pulled a bunch of my (intercostal) muscles in my ribs last month from all the coughing.

trales
05-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Push, push, push for the ENT. Sounds more than something a regular doc can deal with. DH had chronic sinus infections until he saw and ENT(I forgot what he did) and had a series of periodontal cleanings. There was some connection to his gums and the sinus infections. After those appointments, so sinus infections in 3 years.

Feel better.

egoldber
05-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow does that ever suck!!! :(

I hope the Nasonex works for you. As far as I'm concerned its a miracle drug. Seriously.

Have they considered doing a culture? I'm wondering if this is still the same infection and perhaps its an antibiotic resistant strain.

bubbaray
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh joy -- a periodontist? Ugh.

No, my dr d/n culture it. Hmmmm, I wonder why? I can't even think straight, so its hard for me to get my head together and ask her things. That's a good point though. If the green crap is still in my eyes tomorrow, I think I'll go back. Ugh.

Funny thing is, the best info I've found so far is on askdrsears.com.

kijip
05-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Ugh, I am sorry. I was there once from about March to July my second year of college with recurring ones. It was terrible. Hope it is gone for good soon.

ShanaMama
05-29-2008, 01:35 AM
Oh no. You have been sick way to many times this year. Can it be allergy related? Do you have any exposure to mold? I had several sinus infections each year for two years and the ENT found nothing. I moved to a new office & haven't had any since. I'm convinced the old disgusting carpet in my old office had mold or something in it.
Try to get to the ENT. At least you can find out if there's something underlying causing it.
And :hug: I know how bad sinus infections are.

urquie
05-29-2008, 02:12 AM
have you considered using a neti pot? it might give you some relief. they are also great for colds and allergies!

here's a (similar) thread where others recommend them...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=242654&highlight=neti

elephantmeg
05-29-2008, 07:59 AM
get thee to an ENT now! It sounds like there is more going on than you think. Sinus infections create scar tissue which hold onto the mucus which create new sinus infections....

bubbaray
05-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

My dr did tell me to irrigate my sinuses with 1tsp kosher salt, 1tsp baking soda in 2c boiling water. Use 1c solution in a bowl in the shower and sniff it. The pharmacist told me that this works better than the regular saline solution that they sell (Hydrosense) and that I'd been using. Apparently, ENTs here recommend the addition of baking soda. They used to sell netipots at my pharmacy, but don't anymore.

Would a netipot be different than sniffing this solution in a bowl??

As for allergies, I've been taking Flonase (what I usually take for allergies) and its not working. So, either its not allergies or the Flonase isn't effective anymore. What is weird is that this started when I went back to work, but my symptoms are the worst in the morning when I get up, not at the end of the day at work. And, I haven't had allergies since I got PG with DD#1. I am allergic to mould, but there definitely isn't any in our house (I'm like a sniffer dog with mould) -- plus I sleep with a HEPA filter running. It could be at work, but they have the air quality tested and its apparently fine. And, if it was work-related, wouldn't I be worse after a day at work, not after I've been at home sleeping?

The symptoms I have (green crap in my nose) aren't typical with my allergies either -- usually I get itchy eyes, sneezing and clear sinus discharge. This most definitely is NOT clear. Ugh.

ThreeofUs
05-29-2008, 10:45 AM
First, let me say I'm really sorry you're going through this. At this point, you must feel SO frustrated!

Would a netipot be different than sniffing this solution in a bowl??

Much different. Neti pots cause a great flow-through, and sound perfect for you.

If nothing else shows up, you may also want to consider stopping all meds and letting your body clear. I've seen recurrent infections like yours that are actually caused by reactions to meds.