PDA

View Full Version : Ideas/recommendations for birthday gift for 65 year-old male cousin

momtoonegirl
05-28-2008, 09:39 PM
My cousin's family is having a surprise birthday party for him in a couple weeks. My mother is going to the party, and is at a loss for gift ideas.

My mother requested ideas/recommendations from you all here at the BBB, because she sees the end result of all of your advice on my recent purchases ;)

My cousin is a retired engineer/businessman. He was a golfer, but has been limited due to health concerns. He is a very kind, and generous person. My brother often goes to him for advice and sort of sees him as a father figure, because my father died when we were teenagers. My cousin was helped by my father when he was young, and just sees it as returning the favor.

Any suggestions you all have are appreciated.
TIA :)

bubbaray
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Is he hard to shop for because he has everything? If so, could you all go together and make a (largish) donation to his favorite charity?

momtoonegirl
05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Is he hard to shop for because he has everything?

:yeahthat: He always gives everyone such thoughtful gifts, yet it is so hard to find something for him.

I like the idea of donating to charity, since he is so generous.

skygoddess
05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
How about a collection of photos of his life and/or family history? Maybe a simple scrapbook with some letters written by family members that share with him how much he's meant to them, combined with photos.

Is he living alone? If so, how about a huge gift basket of gourmet foods or a subscription to a gourmet food delivery service? I always worry about older male relatives living on their own that they're not cooking or eating healthy.

ShanaMama
05-29-2008, 01:18 AM
How about a collection of photos of his life and/or family history? Maybe a simple scrapbook with some letters written by family members that share with him how much he's meant to them, combined with photos.

This is a great idea. He'd probably find it very touching & meaningful.

firsttimemama
05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Tickets to something?
Renting a fun car (convertible?) for him for a weekend?

momtoonegirl
05-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Thanks for all of the great ideas. I will let my mother know :)

klwa
05-30-2008, 06:39 AM

We did something like that for my grandmother's 80th birthday and she loved it. Sent everyone a page from a picture album and asked them to fill it with pictures, stories, whatever.