PDA

View Full Version : Newbi looking for info...

~Belle~
05-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi my name is Rachel and I am new to the boards. I was watching Montel today and saw about this website on the show.
I am currently pregnant with my 4th child. I have 2 girls and a boy. My youngest will be 4 in September and my oldest will be 12 in December.
I recently had a garage sell and sold everything...I mean everything. I found out a month later that I was expecting again...talk about shock.
I am very excited but concerned about shopping for new stuff.
I have seen several things on this website that caught my eye, like the go to grow bottles.
Can someone share with me a list of must haves. I know things have changed alot since I had my last baby. Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel

purpleeyes
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Welcome!

A swing...DD had to sleep propped for the first 4 months of her life until we got the reflux meds figured out and the swing (which we borrowed from a friend) was a must have.

Some version of a baby carrier (we have the bjorn, but I am also looking at the ergo or the beco). Get stuff done and still hold the baby! :)

We've cleaned out our 'bad' plastic and gotten corelle, kleen kanteens, glass Dr. Browns, and Born Free-you can find good info in the Kid Food section

I love our double jogging stroller, too. (in step)

And I *love* my Fleurville mini sling tote diaper bag. I splurged and it was it is perfect-fits everything, easy to carry, clean, etc.

Good luck!

ShanaMama
05-29-2008, 01:29 AM
Welcome to the BBB! I'll add a bouncer seat. Haven't had a newborn in a couple of years but absolutely loved our FP bouncer. I can't wait to take it out & use it again.
Carseats are another one. Do you need a new infant carseat? I know there are new ones out. Try the carseat board for info on that. I want to get a Snap N Go this time around. If your youngest is out of the stroller I don't think you'll need a double stroller. You may want to get a lot of strollers, LOL. But I think a Snap N Go type is very convenient for running errands, especially if you'll have the other kids along.
Good luck & best wishes for an easy & healthy pregnancy.

Happy 2B mommy
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Welcome! I hope you find this board as fun and informative as I have.

We did not have a lot of extra money when I was preggo, due to the expense of the medication I was on and our sub par insurance, so I found an older edition of the baby bargins book and bought several things used. I was very happy with the quality of the used items I purchased. I'm assuming from your post that you were 'done' and might not want to spend a lot of money on stuff that you just got rid of. If you do buy used, check out recall info.

Essentials, IMHO are:

Good carseat/infant carrier (Graco or Chicco Keyfit seem to be the favs on the carseat forum for infant seats). While I bought a LOT of stuff 2nd hand, this is something that you should buy new. I never knew that old carseats can be dangerous and that they expire. I recommend you spend some time on the carseat forum - you'll learn a lot. IMO a good infant seat and convertible seat is worth every penny.

Good baby carrier. I loved the ring sling my aunt made for me (she got the pattern off the web) I used it way more than the bjorn, which I found uncomfortable and my DD outgrew it in a few months. If I have DC#2, I might spring for an ergo.

My dd HATED the swing, but loved the Fisher price bouncer/rocker that I picked up for $7.00 at a gargare sale. She slept in that more than her crib for the first few months.

Ultimate crib sheet and Halo sleep-sacks.

Fisher price high chair (People also like the Chicco Polly). I got mine used and, although it's bright blue, it's very sturdy and well-made. My cousin skipped the high-chair altogether and just used FP booster and is really pleased with it.

BPA free bottles/sippy cups.

Happy shopping.

~Belle~
05-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all your help. I picked up a copy of baby bargains today. I have only had a chance to skim the book but I think it is going to be a definite help.

Thanks,
Rachel

elephantmeg
05-30-2008, 07:40 AM
I kept meaning to reply to this but was always nursing so couldn't do a lengthy reply...

my "must haves"/favorite things right now
-rainforest swing (has a plug so no batteries)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-boppy bounce in comfort bouncy seat!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-baby bjorn for when they are small and then ergo carrier at 4 months or so. I still carry my 2 year old in the ergo
-snap n go stroller
-Dr Brown's bottles-now in BPA free but I retrofitted my parts from the non BPA bottles into walmart BPA free bottles
-fisher price healthy care booster
-and if you are working or pumping a lot the freestyle pump from medela

wishing you a healthy pregnancy!

lorinick
05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I to had to get all new stuff. My oldest is 7 and the baby is 9 mts. They are seven years apart. And we needed just about everything. I kept the crib not sure why? But get the Baby Bargins and stop by BRU they have must have lists. It's helps to look through to remembering how many towels, onies, washclothes, bottles BPA Free of course, sheets etc. Good luck! Happy and healthy pregnancy.