PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to keep rabbits out of garden?

Kyras mom
05-29-2008, 02:23 AM
I know probably the only way is to build a "rabbit-proof fence'. Any other tips? We tried moth balls. Didn't help. Trapping and moving to another area isn't practical. Too many.

So far, they seem to love petunia plants. They haven't done too much damage to CA poppies.

clb
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
I planted basil in a pot one year and that was gone-squirrels. That was the last veg I planted.

As far as flowers, I've been doing trial and error. If they don't eat it I will plant more of the same the following year. At this point for annuals, I am limited to begonias. I see geraniums and impatiens in my neighborhood, so those may work too. Please let me know if you find something else.

So far here is my list for flowers:
They will eat tulips, lilies (maybe squirrel), gladiolus, pansies and petunia
They leave alone lily of the valley, iris, daffodil, hyacinth, bleeding heart, peony, hydrangea and begonias

bubbaray
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Get a dog. My dog chases rabbits out of our garden. Well, except when he's sleeping.... ;)

missym
05-29-2008, 10:29 AM
My mom used to swear by blood meal. It's a fertilizer, so you can scatter it throughout the garden. You have to reapply after hard rains, though.

brittone2
05-29-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not a gardener, but I remember my parents using blood meal when I was growing up. In the past, we've also brushed the dog and sprinkled the hair around flower beds. Gross in some ways, but IMO better than chemical deterrents.

You could call your local cooperative extension office (most counties have one) and ask them. We have master gardeners (part of the county cooperative extension office) that hang out at our weekly farmer's market and they offer free advice, handouts, and suggestions to the public. I've asked them for advice on some issues my dad was having w/ the health of his tomato plants.

missym
05-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm not a gardener, but I remember my parents using blood meal when I was growing up.

I always wondered what horror stories the local critters told about our house. "Go smell that garden, dude! I'm telling you, it's a death trap!" :ROTFLMAO: I will say that it kept the rabbits out of the garden, though!

trales
05-29-2008, 12:00 PM
My mother swears by spreading fox urine around, she buys it. We don't have a rabbit problem, we have a coyote and bear.

And dogs, but the dogs sleep too much. They don't feel the need to work very hard.

icunurse
05-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Blood meal is what we use. I have also seen garlic tabs to place around the garden, but I have never tried them.

caheinz
05-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Fence, with chicken wire buried at least 1' under ground all the way around.

Dogs don't work unless they're always outside. We've had three nests in our yard in three summers, with a 100lb dog who loves to chase rabbits. (Unfortunately, he can only catch the ones in the nests... keeps the population a little smaller, I guess?) Hasn't stopped the stupid-bunny-mommas from continuing to try...

lisams
05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
This is going to sound gross, but you can purchase coyote urine flakes (basically dried pee) and sprinkle it around your garden. The rabbits will not want to be anywhere near where they think a coyote has been! I've never tried it, but I've heard other people say it really works. Some hardware stores may carry it or you may have to order it online.