PDA

View Full Version : Sinus/eye infection question -- Help!

bubbaray
05-29-2008, 12:20 PM
OK, so if you've been following along in the BP and with my poll on allergy meds, I have a sinus infection. I guess I can call it chronic as I've had it since January and this is my 4 (or is that 5th, I've lost track) round of antibiotics. I've been using saline sprays (Hydrosense) and Flonase (prescription allergy spray), along with puffers for the coughing (ventoline + Qvar -- though I don't need those at the moment).

Yesterday, I went back to my dr AGAIN, got put on 2w of antibiotics (clavulin -- amoxicillan +clavulinic acid). She wanted to give me a different drug, but couldn't b/c I'm still nursing. And, she gave me samples of different nasal sprays, so I tried Nasonex this morning (thanks to the poll responders!). AND, I'm using a kosher salt/baking soda/water sinus irrigation (wow, was that fun, NOT).

BUT, my question is about my eye. I had green discharge out of it yesterday afternoon and the sinus under that eye was really sore. askdrsears.com says that eye discharge can happen with a sinus infection. I threw out my contacts as soon as I got home from the dr/pharmacy yesterday. I've taken 2 antibiotics yesterday (Rx is for 3 pills per day) and one so far today. My eye was yucky when I got up, but is better now (I'm wearing glasses not contacts). I'm confident the eye thing is related to the sinus thing as I've not been around anyone with pink eye and I'm pretty careful about not touching my eyes unless I've washed my hands.

Anyway, my question is do I need Rx eye drops or will the oral antibiotics I'm taking for the sinus infection deal with the eye as well? I just made an appointment with my dr for today, but I can't get in until 4:15 and she's downtown, so I'll be fighting rush hour traffic both ways. Frankly, I'd rather nap/lay in bed and continue with the oral antibiotics if that's all I need to do. But, obviously, I don't want eye problems on top having to endure this sinus issue.

Help!

Tondi G
05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
I think it is probably just due to the sinus infection. Is it really red or just gunky upon waking? If it is just morning gunk then I would suggest getting out some black tea bags.... put them in some warm (hot as you can stand it) water and then put them on your eyes and wipe them down. You could also try a squirt of breast milk in your eye as well!

Did you call your doctor and tell them about the eye problem and the fact that the appt time is tough for you? Maybe call back and ask to speak with your doctor directly.... they might just call in some drops without having to see you.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon!

~Tondi

bubbaray
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
I think it is probably just due to the sinus infection. Is it really red or just gunky upon waking? If it is just morning gunk then I would suggest getting out some black tea bags.... put them in some warm (hot as you can stand it) water and then put them on your eyes and wipe them down. You could also try a squirt of breast milk in your eye as well!

Did you call your doctor and tell them about the eye problem and the fact that the appt time is tough for you? Maybe call back and ask to speak with your doctor directly.... they might just call in some drops without having to see you.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon!

~Tondi

Its a bit red, but not too bad. Its mainly gunky. Yesterday it was like the stuff that came out of my nose had migrated to my eye. Ugh.

My dr won't take phone calls nor call in Rxs without an appointment. I told them the appt time d/n really work for me, but they are kinda in a jam today -- my dr delivered a baby last night and had to cancel all her appt's for this morning and extend her hours into tonight to try to accommodate everyone. So, its a bit of a weird day for the office staff too.

If my brain was functioning, I think I'd be able to make a decision!

nupe
05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Don't know the answer to your eye discharge question. However, I would like to tell you about my nasal irrigation system.

AND, I'm using a kosher salt/baking soda/water sinus irrigation (wow, was that fun, NOT).

I'm nursing too and allergy season is in full swing. I usually rely on zyrtecD which I can't use now. What I use for nasal irrigation is this neti pot by Neilmed, called NasaFlo, with the packets. Feels stupid paying $10 for a box of packets with premeasured salt and baking soda, but since it is isotonic it doesn't sting, and that is well worth it for me. The pot is plastic (lightweight/not breakable like ceramic) and holds 8oz of solution.

Here is a link to the product w/amazon reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/NeilMed-NasaFlo-Unbreakable-Premixed-Packets/dp/B000ITHH86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1212079702&sr=1-2

bubbaray
05-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I almost bought the NeilMed thing yesterday. The pharmacist told me to try what my dr advised, she though it would work just as well.

Ugh, not sure whether to keep this appointment or not this afternoon. I'm so wiped, I really do NOT want to battle rushhour traffic.

momto2boys
05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Melissa:

This happened with my youngest (almost 2) a couple of months ago. I thought for sure it was pink eye but the doc said it was related to his sinus infection. He did give me a script for eyedrops but I didn't need them since the oral antibiotics took care of it after a couple of days.

HTH,

Kathy

DS 1 - 12/01
DS 2 - 11/03
DS 3 - 06/06

bubbaray
05-29-2008, 04:19 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I'm gonna cancel the appt for this afternoon. I don't feel up to battling traffic. I have an appt for Monday if I need it.

Thanks so much!

lilycat88
05-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Stay on top of it. I had a sinus infection that moved into my eyes and I was out of commission for 4 solid days. Literally, my eyes were so swollen and seeping gunk that my DH had to stay home and drive me to the doctor. I had been on oral antibiotics but had to add an antibiotic eye drop and a steroid eye drop. My vision didn't return to normal for 2 weeks.

elephantmeg
05-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I ended up with a corneal ulcer secondary to a sinus infection once. Keep an eye on it!

fauve01
05-29-2008, 10:17 PM
i just wanted to throw out there that when dd had an eye infection, her ped told me to put breastmilk in her eye to cure it. breastmilk is a wonder drug and will cure conjunctivitis and other eye problems (as well as other things too). you might try it since you are nursing!

at the time, i read about it in the book "so that's what they're for"

i did a quick google and found a bunch of links, including this
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/373334/did_you_know_breastmilk_can_cure_these.html

anne