PDA

View Full Version : OT: Brain Candy

psophia17
05-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I like to read historical romances. I admit it.

I'm trying to get them from the library, placing holds and such, since there's a very small branch where DS1 has preschool, and the big branch with the good selection is downtown, where I try to avoid going.

Anyone know any authors I should search for? "trashy romance" doesn't come up in searches too well...

I know I like Teresa Medeiros, Julia London, and Eloisa James. But I know there were others, I just can't remember names or titles...

Putting the bag over my head now.

elliput
05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Johanna Lindsey.

psophia17
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Oooooh! 42 books in the list, and she didn't come up in any searches I did. Thank you Erica!

maestramommy
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Kathleen Woodwiss (I think that's the spelling) The Flame and the Flower was pretty good. Actually had an intricate plot. There's a sequel, but I never got around to reading it.

elephantmeg
05-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Deanne Gist-a bride most begrudging is my favorite (of the 2 I've read). The other one I read was the measure of a lady

elephantmeg
05-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Kathleen Woodwiss (I think that's the spelling) The Flame and the Flower was pretty good. Actually had an intricate plot. There's a sequel, but I never got around to reading it.

It looks like the author is Woodiwiss

MaiseyDog
05-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Ah a kindred spirit. I too admit I'm addicted to trashy romance novels. I got into them during pharmacy school as a way to shut my brain down after studying, but I just can't give them up. Anyway, here are some of my favs

Julia Quinn
Sabrina Jeffries
Samantha James
Stephanie Laurens (I've read every single one of her books and liked them all)
Mary Balogh
Jane Feather
Johanna Lindsey
Jo Beverly
Karen Hawkins

Hope that gives you a few to look for. Enjoy!

psophia17
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I've been addicted since my Mom got me some from the church bazaar, when I was 14. She still doesn't know exactly what she bought me. :boogie:

luvmypeanut
05-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Julie Garwood and Judith McNaught (AWESOME). Both of these authors have ventured into contemporary romance but I really love their historical romances. I recently donated a bunch of my books and 95% of the books that I kept were by these two authors.

Also, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is fascinating if you've got the time.

Jacksonvol
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Marion Chesney I think she also writes mysteries as M.C. Beaton.

GeekLady
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Jean Auel. Technically those are prehistorical romances, but hey.

LBW
05-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Victoria Holt aka Phillippa Gregory (and a couple of other names I don't remember). I especially like her books about the English queens and consorts. So much fun!

psophia17
05-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Also, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is fascinating if you've got the time.
I just got Drums of Autumn from the library. I'm reading the series in order, and have been waiting for it to come back in for almost a month. I also read the Lord John books while I waited...

psophia17
05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Everything I know I learned from Ayla and Jondalar. ;)

MelissaTC
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Hands down, Bertrice Small. And you must read Skye O'Malley and all the sequels. It is the best smutty historical romance series. The characters are passionate and full of life. My Mom let me read Skye O'Malley when I was like 12 and I have been hooked since.

Georgia
05-29-2008, 07:36 PM
You might want to browse the reviews on this blog for other ideas

http://dearauthor.com/

psophia17
05-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Skye O'Malley sounds familiar...was there a character named, Neill, maybe? Her true love? And shipwrecks?

tylersmama
05-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm totally a trashy romance addict, although I don't have nearly as much time to indulge it these days! My mom started it with her Betty Neels collection that I started reading on the sly probably around 4th or 5th grade.

One of my favorite authors is Catherine Coulter. She also writes modern novels, but I much prefer her historical stuff. I have a crabby/sick toddler snuggling right now, but I'll have to check my stash after I get him to bed and see what I can come up with!

MelissaTC
05-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Niall Burke...and they thought he drowned. And she was sold into slavery in Algiers. Good stuff!!!

nov04
05-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I read lots in university. I've copied down all the listed authors, I'll have to check them out again. thanks!!!!

Corie
05-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Petra,

You have the same taste in books that my 87 yr. old grandma did. :)

I have to admit that I *borrowed* her Kathleen Woodiwiss books
and I liked them. It was the sex that sucked me in.

MamaMolly
05-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Julie Garwood and Judith McNaught (AWESOME). Both of these authors have ventured into contemporary romance but I really love their historical romances. I recently donated a bunch of my books and 95% of the books that I kept were by these two authors.

Yup, ditto, could have written this post myself but I'd put Diana Gabaldon in a whole separate rank all her own. She is my #1 all time favorite!! I love, adore, read and re-read the Outlander series, and I really like that they are so freaking long. (although I'll admit that when Jamie fell off the boat I threw the book across the room. I was so peeved with him!) Breath of Snow and Ashes was my anniversary present when it cam out. Mmmm off to raid my bookshelf.

mom2binsd
05-29-2008, 11:04 PM
The Trilogy by Celeste deBlasis - Wild Swan is the first....from the Napoleonic War in England...to Baltimore horse country...romance (lots of steamy stuff too), history, horses, and family drama....I've read the trilogy about 3 times, my all time fav!

cleo27
05-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Petra,

You have the same taste in books that my 87 yr. old grandma did. :)

I have to admit that I *borrowed* her Kathleen Woodiwiss books
and I liked them. It was the sex that sucked me in.

I could have written this post, except my grandma is going to be 83 next week and still reads these types of books! I remember reading some of them when I was a teenager and being shocked that grandma read this stuff!

elliput
05-29-2008, 11:10 PM
If you are interested in something on the more, um, erotic side- Anne Rice writing as A.N. Roquelaure is sure to keep you, uh, captivated. :wink2:

tylersmama
05-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok, after inspecting my bookshelves, I have a few more names to add to your list!

Susan Wiggs
Stella Cameron
Candace Camp
Georgette Heyer

I also liked reading the North and South books a lot. I think there were 3? BIG, LONG books. I think I read them in junior high, about the time the miniseries were out on tv. ETA: Looked it up on Amazon...The North and South trilogy by John Jakes. North and South, Love and War, Heaven and Hell. Not strictly romances, but there's plenty of romance in them, and a really interesting read about the Civil War.

karstmama
05-30-2008, 09:34 AM
if the gentle stuff gets too tame (though i love johanna lindsay, too), i'd suggest angela knight, lori foster, diane whiteside, and shannon mckenna. rowr!