PDA

View Full Version : Children's Souvenir Suggestions from Italy/Croatia?

JennM
05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
This is a really random question, but I'm always amazed at what great information I can find on these boards, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

One of my good friends is leaving this weekend on a trip to Italy and Croatia - not sure of the exact cities she'll be visiting, though. Anyway, she's offered to bring back some things for my 3 1/2 yo DD and my newborn DS. Does anyone have any suggestions on cool toys, collectible items, maybe even clothing that I could ask her to look for? Thanks!

BeachBum
05-29-2008, 03:19 PM
We got DS a lovely etching of Pinocchio (is that spelled right?) when we were in Italy and I was pregnant. There was lots of Pinocchio "junk" and it was a little harder to find something nice, but it is a great momento.

GeekLady
05-29-2008, 04:00 PM
If you decorate a Christmas tree, ornaments for the kids are always nice. My siblings and I have collected ornaments all our lives - things we've made and gifts alike. When I got married, I had enough ornaments to trim a small tree of our own.

Whenever I go on vacation, I buy an ornament for the trip, they're perfect souvenirs. Small, generally inexpensive, and they satisfy the souvenir shopping urge without really contributing to clutter in the home. Plus every December I get to relive lots of happy memories, either of people or of places, as we trim the tree.

In Florence they have sweet little wooden Pinocchio jumping jack ornaments. Venice is famous for blown glass, but those wouldn't be as kid-hanging friendly.

Otherwise, for your daughter, there are always dolls from each nation. I have a collection of those that my dad bought while on business trips.

Piglet
05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Kinder Eggs - they are Italian chocolate eggs with toys inside. My boys will do just about anything for a Kinder Egg (including potty training).

deannanb
05-29-2008, 05:25 PM
my parents have brough back Pinocchio stuff - tape measure, puzzle, magnet - the boys also have Italian jerseys (soccer/football) - my older son loves it, the younger one loves matching his brother

the boys have croatian hats and shirts.

I'm sure your friend would be able to find a cute outfit for DD in europe!

blisstwins
05-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Someone brought my daughter a beautiful lace dress from Italy.