PDA

View Full Version : Organic crib mattress: Naturepedics, Dax Stores, or others??

kusumat
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I need to get a crib mattress for DC#2 due in July. Any advice on the organic crib mattress and where I can find the good deal? The one sold on the dax store website seems to be more natural than the Naturepedics ones which are still have plastics coat at the top. Well, it uses the safe plastic for now, will this type of plastic considered safe in the future though? PVC was considered ok back then, but now it is a big no no.

If I get the ones at the dax stores, I still need to get a wool mattress pad. I am just wondering on how good it is in term of the leak proof. Any experience? It will be very bad if the urine or stool leaks through the pad and get to the mattress dirty.

I can't make decision on this. Are there any other organic mattress brands that I should also look into? Help, please!!! TIA!!!

jamie
05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
My husband and I are going to be first time parents as I am pregnant with twins due in October. I try and live an environmentally friendly lifestyle. We have been looking at organic crib mattresses and have decided to purchase the Acorn mattress from Land and Sky. We bought their Heaven and Earth mattress for our bed and just love it.

You may purchase directly from their online store at the natural bed store. However, we have found that our local mattress store sells the Acorn mattress at a significantly discounted price.

I would be interested to know if you purchased a non-toxic crib too?

kusumat
05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Jamie,

I am still looking for a good deal on the crib. So far, I like Pali. It got the good review on the website, use non-toxic paint(per its website), JPMA certified, and made in Italy(the collection I am planning to buy is).

The only concern I have is the formaldehyde remission. Per their customer service, it was only used at the small amount for the underneath drawer.

The natural cribs sold on several websites are not JPMA certified. So, I am not sure how good/safe they are. Pali is an European brand and I believe need to follow the European standard which is higher than the US one.

I would avoid any cribs made in China or any third world countries.

I would like to hear what you find out about the crib as well. BTW, which local store you got your mattress from? Is it near NYC?

designermama
06-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm noticing that the Naturepedic organic crib mattresses are 1/4 inch longer than standard according to mfr specs (27.75 in. as opposed to 27.5 in.). Has anyone had any problems with this, or is the difference too small to matter?

h23
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Hi,
We are having our first (which are twins) in September. I'd be interested to know the organic mattress options as well. We are planning to purchase Argington cribs. They haven't been rated here, but on their home page they are members of JPMA. Hopefully, that applies to their cribs, but I'm going to write them and ask. No one responded to my earlier post on Argington, so I'm not certain what to think. Here is their site: http://www.argington.com/index.php

Have you picked out bedding yet?

Any help or direction would be great!
Thanks,
h

kusumat
06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I am leaning toward the organic cotton and wool ones sold on the dax store and organicgrace for the crib mattress. In term of the organic bedding, I found ones with reasonable price and decent pattern at organicgrace.com

http://organicgrace.com/ntb_crib-mattresses

liltxgirl
07-21-2008, 08:03 PM
hi. i was wondering if you ended up ordering the DAX innerspring crib mattress? i am trying to decide between the Pure Rest/Eco Baby innerspring and the Dax one.

saschalicks
07-28-2008, 03:55 PM
The ones w/wool, have me concerned about my ultra allergic kids. Our ped says NO WOOL, for my kids. Do you think that I should stay away from them in cribs?

liltxgirl
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
in researching the organic mattresses, they say that most people are not actually allergic to wool but the processing of the wool and chemicals used. i think the eco baby website as well as the daxstores.com discuss allergy concerns. plus, the wool is batting used around the innersprings and then cotton over that so the wool is not directly at the surface. that said, it is recommended a wool puddle pad be used over the mattress to protect from leaks with a cotton mattress pad over that as well then your fitted crib sheet. i ordered only pure grow wool and organic cotton mattress pad. hope this helps a little.

Lance W
11-13-2008, 03:56 PM
The Ecobaby Crib mattresses are the best. I have been a reseller of those for over 5 years now and know the owner of the company, Ginny Turner. There is no company that takes these products more seriously than they do.

***Disclaimer, I am a seller of these products. Please point me to the forum rules and let me know if I am violating anything. I have no intention of doing that.

thewebbie
11-14-2008, 02:51 AM
I am considering the "Simply Affordable organic crib mattress" made by the Amish. You can try to Google it.

On crib, I got a Pali that was made in Italy. It was completely hard wood. No drawers.

I am a member of local mom's club in my community, and someone in the community said that she works in bedding and do a lot of textile processing, and basically she advised us that the benefit of the organic mattress is to avoid offgassing, but that most textile processing today does not have anything harmful left on the product by the time it is in your home - formaldehyde or otherwise. So, I think I will get an organic mattress, and regular bedding which I will make sure I have washed several times before we use it.