PDA

View Full Version : "HE" Detergent recommendations

gscheel
05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I am trying to find out if there are "High Efficiency (HE)" detergents for front load washers that are also fragrance free, hypoallergenic and in general baby friendly. I had planned on using Dreft for the baby's clothes but I don't think Dreft has an "HE" variety. Any suggestions?

DrSally
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
I use Kirkland's from Costco (unscented) and DS and Dh have not have problems (both are prone to eczema. I think Dreft is too scented.

icunurse
05-29-2008, 09:40 PM
We use All Free & Clear for HE (concentrated and with a silver cap). It's the only thing that doesn't make DD break into a rash.

kayte
05-29-2008, 09:44 PM
P & G who makes Dreft recommends on their (Dreft) website that you use '2x Ultra Tide HE Free' in an HE washer. From the description, it seems to be a HE safe version of Dreft.

cvanbrunt
05-29-2008, 09:56 PM
We use the All Free and Clear, too. There are several on the market and they have all been fine.

vludmilla
05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Charlie's Soap (www.charliessoap.com) is also HE friendly and a great fragrance free soap that is very gentle on skin and environmentally friendly.

elliput
05-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I just recently switched from All Free & Clear to Seventh Generation Free & Clear (which is HE friendly). I like that it is free of optical brightners, petroleum based cleaners, and phosphates, and have been very pleased with the overall condition of my clothes after washing.

BeachBum
05-30-2008, 06:11 AM
An add on question...

Is concentrated detergent the same as HE, or do I really need an HE one for my front loader?

erosenst
05-30-2008, 07:23 AM
We use Kirkland's unscented too, and have been happy with it.

pastrygirl
05-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I just started using Ecos brand free & clear, because my son has nasty eczema that won't go away. It has an HE stamp on it and I've had no problems with my front-loader.

I ordered mine from Amazon since I have Prime and get free 2-day shipping. It is more than half the price of Tide!! (Which is what I used to use.)

pastrygirl
05-30-2008, 07:36 AM
An add on question...

Is concentrated detergent the same as HE, or do I really need an HE one for my front loader?

These are not the same. You need less HE detergent than you do regular detergent, concentrated or not. I would look for a bottle that has the "HE" symbol on it first, and if you can't find that, then look for one that has instructions for use in an HE machine (for ex, "use half the amount for HE" or something like that). The Ecos brand I'm using now has the HE symbol and it says to fill to the first line, but to use it in a top-loader, it says to fill to the second line. HTH!

mamabelle
05-30-2008, 08:37 AM
I use tide free for he. That being said, you can use any regular detergent and use less detergent and get the same results with an he machine.

fivi2
05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Someone posted this cd website once:
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/hedetergentchoices.htm

it has a great chart listing detergent choices and which ones are good. HTH!

eggnova
05-30-2008, 02:11 PM
We are expecting our first baby in a few weeks so I've switched to All Free and Clear HE.

I have two add on questions about fabric softener - I've been using Downey fabric softener - 1) Am I defeating the purpose of using free and clear detergent by adding fabric softener that is not frangrence free or clear to the baby's clothes, and 2) does anyone have a suggestion for how much fabric softener to use in an HE machine? I don't have a front loader but rather a top loader without an agitator. The washer instructions suggest using HE detergent, and the regular amount of fabric softener but diluting it with water after adding to the dispenser. I still get a lot of residue in the fabric softener dispenser however, and I don't always feel like the clothes are static free and Downey fresh when they come out of the dryer...

kimberley-k
05-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Try 1/2 cup of white vinegar instead of fabric softener - it works great for us!

-Kim

Joolsplus2
05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd use a dryer sheet instead of liquid fabric softener (and NOT on infant sleepwear, which is supposed to be anti-flammable, fabric softener defeats that).
I have another vote for www.charliesoap.com (it's not soap, it's detergent, very natural scent free HE-allowed detergent... every other detergent just seems goopy and gross to me now... makes my clothes feel sticky and weird... compared to Charlie's which I've been using happily for every washload for over 2 years now...it's funny because I never DISliked my other detergents, I always loved All or Purex just fine ;) ).

mamabelle
05-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Fabric softener is loaded with perfume so I would avoid for the baby. I agree with the vinegar. We do use fabric softener in our he machine now that dcs are not babies and I add it every other wash. I avoid the sheets because I think they just leave a coating on the wash.

mommymy
05-30-2008, 07:31 PM
when you use vinegar as a fabric softner do you add it directly to the clothes or put it in the fabric softner section of the washer dispenser? When i had my top loader I put it in with the liquid wash but now that I have a front loader i put it in the fabric softner section but it doesn't seem to work like it did before?

bubbaray
05-30-2008, 07:32 PM
when you use vinegar as a fabric softner do you add it directly to the clothes or put it in the fabric softner section of the washer dispenser? When i had my top loader I put it in with the liquid wash but now that I have a front loader i put it in the fabric softner section but it doesn't seem to work like it did before?

I've put it in the softener dispenser in my top loader and would think you could do the same with a front loader.

gscheel
05-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Wow! Thank you everyone for some wonderful suggestions. I think I'll try a few different ones and see which one I like.