PDA

View Full Version : OT - Question regarding Rosemary

rachelh
05-29-2008, 09:56 PM
So...totally random question...

I am cooking for a large crowd this weekend, and I have this incredible recipe for london broil that calls for dried rosemary which I have made before. It is so tasty but my husband felt that the rosemary kind of stays really hard and it tastes feels a little like twigs.

Does anyone know if I can grind up dry rosemary? Would it take away the flavor/change it?

Thanks!

mudder17
05-29-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't really like dry rosemary. I much prefer fresh. If you don't have a rosemary plant, then you can get fresh at the grocery store. To use fresh, I just pull off the green part and get rid of the stem. Basically, you hold it by the top of the sprig with one hand and gently push off the leaves with the other hand. Easy peasy and fresh rosemary is sooo much more fragrant and flavorful than dried.

eta: Care to share the recipe?

ShanaMama
05-29-2008, 11:34 PM
I've heard that fresh rosemary makes a huge difference in taste. I use dried rosemary in my soups & stuff, but maybe a roast would really be better with fresh. I've seen the type that's grown in hydroponics in many kosher groceries, if you want to try that.

DrSally
05-29-2008, 11:57 PM
I too prefer fresh. You can remove the whole stem afterward if the texture of the twig parts bother you