PDA

View Full Version : Boy, do I hate junk faxes.

Sillygirl
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
They come about once a week, always at around 7AM, tie up our phone line. No, I'm not interested in cheap health insurance or a crappy Orlando vacation. I've filed FCC complaints, reigstered our phone number, called their opt-out line. Nada.

So today I had the day off and I was intermittently cleaning. I figure I've spent about thirty minutes wasting their time, pretending to be dumb and interested while I play Bejeweled, then asking them to remove my number or I'll keep calling. Boy, are they mad. They hang up now each time I call, or press buttons, or snap "Don't you have anything better to do?" Since these companies last about a week before they take the money and run, I figure I've dented their profit margins today while seriously irritating them. In addition to my home phone, they've learned to hang up on two cell phones. Maybe I'll go into the office and see if I can get them to dump this whole area code. :D

sidmand
05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Good idea. I think I get those faxes almost every day. The Orlando vacation, the health insurance, some fax to my "hiring and/or purchasing manager." My fax is a business fax and I think I get maybe two work faxes per month and junk faxes all.the.time.

I don't have a heck of a lot of film and/or paper either. It just wastes it all. Luckily it's the business line and I don't usually hear it ring, but still...

kijip
05-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I hate them too. I used to joke they must come from the toner manufacturing companies, cause they were using up 1/2 my fax toner!

We have done everything we can to get of their lists but they still come through. So freaking annoying. Such a waste of paper!

shilo
05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
ok, i swore i was going to stay away while i was on vacation, but i couldn't resist popping in this morning. addict, yada, yada.

we have a family friend who has made it a 'jokes on you' retirement project of his to take the junk fax companies to small claims court. it's actually illegal for them to send out unsolicited faxes (at least in CA), and he's been awarded tens of thousands in small claims since each fax is a separate infraction, even from the same company. whatever the max # of times you can file against an individual/year in small claims, he's done for about three years now. now actually collecting on the awards, that's a different story ;). he's got some liens, etc, but has seen very little actual $ out of it, and what he has collected he donates to a local charity they support. but anyway, not suggesting you go this route, as it's more a time consuming mental exercise for fun on his part... but he would appreciate your sense of vengence in making them squirm :).

lori

casey0729
05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Take a black piece of paper and fax it to them a few times. Say bye bye to the toner on their end!!