PDA

View Full Version : What is the "Next Step" after a Kettler Tricyle?

christymc33
05-30-2008, 12:33 PM
DD is 3, very tall for her age and is out growing her kettler (knock off) tricyle.
What is the best first bike choice?
Thanks!

brittone2
05-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Have you looked at balance bikes? DS got his at 3 and was zooming around on it within a month or so. They are a pedal-less bike. It is a 2 wheeler that they learn to ride without training wheels. They can literall *run* on the thing, and then eventually they build up speed and can left their feet and "glide". You have to see it to believe it. It is really amazing. (I'm sure there are videos on YouTube, etc.)

We bought our bike from gliderrider.com but they no longer carry the Puky (brand we have). They have their own line, and I don't know as much about it.
They used to have video of kids riding balance bikes on their site...not sure if they still do. Other brands are Like A Bike, Strider, Skuut, etc. You can google "running bike" or "balance bike" and take a look.

DS is still riding his at 4 and could probably transition to pedaling a regular 16 incher before long. I'm debating the Trek Float for his 5th bday or Christmas of 08 (can add pedals to this one or use it like a balance bike, but it is more for the 5 and above set because it is on the larger side).

There are a bunch of old threads on balance bikes here.

happymomma
06-02-2008, 11:14 PM
We just recently bought my DS (4 1/2 years old) a Puky from a garage sale for only $15. My DH thought that I was crazy to buy it. He couldn't believe that there was a bike without pedals. But my son took to it like a fish to water. I mean he really loved it and everyday he asks to ride his bike. He is doing so well in it and has gotten so good at balancing, we think we might get him a regular bike by next year. He goes really fast and has been faster then his friends that are on training wheels. Also, I never have to give him a push. My DH has totally seen the light. :cheerleader1:

pittsburghgirl
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
If you go with a balance bike, make sure you get one that is not too tall. We bought a funone bike (not available anymore) for DS for his birthday. With the seat all the way down, it was just a tiny bit too tall for him and he had no interest in riding it. I think they really need to feel solid on the ground with flat feet, slight knee bend before the balance bike feels "safe".

We tried many times to get him to ride it, never wanted to. While DS and I were visiting my parents a few weeks ago, DH took it to the bike shop and had them put training wheels on it. He has been riding it nonstop ever since. (DH was never "sold" on the balance bike thing).

So -- my advice is that you should make sure the balance bike is short enough or it won't be fun.

I am resigned to the fact that it will probably take DS longer to ride the bike w/o training wheels than it would have otherwise. But he is having so much fun with his training wheels (and his cool red bike with the hand brake) that I can't really complain.

jwozy
06-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Mine were given Kettler tricycles when they were 2 and really didn't have that much interest in them. When they were 3 we got them the puky balance bikes and they loved them. Both kids can go really fast on them and coast for awhile on their balance bike, they recently turned 4. We've taken them on a bike ride around our neighborhood and they do great and love it.

A friend of ours gave us a little bicycle with pedals and with a push my ds can actuall ride it a little before stepping down (the bike is too small). So maybe for Christmas we'll get them regular bikes as I think they could do it.