PDA

View Full Version : Best carrier/sling for pregnant woman?

vtbunny
05-30-2008, 02:20 PM
I have an 8 month old who is no where near crawling or walking and demands to be held all day long. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and would like to buy a sling I can use throughout my pregnancy with my son, and then use for my next baby as well. I have a Baby Bjorn but it kills my back and DS is way too big for it now.

I borrowed a ring sling from my friend and it looks like it would be great, but I think the size is all wrong. I'm very thin, but very tall- which poses another question. If I'm in between sizes, do I opt for the size that fits that is bigger or smaller?

new_mommy25
06-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I wore my DS up until I was about 6 months pregnant, but my DS was 2.5!! You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a carrier that will work for you. When I was pregnant I really liked wearing a ring sling or pouch on my hip. I used an Ergo for about 4 months fastened below my bump. Mei Tais in a back carry are also fantastic because you can tie them high or low. My vote would be for both - a Mei Tai and ring sling. If you can only get one then get a ring sling. They are so perfect with newborns.

For ring sling sizing, I would probably size up. The biggest difference will be the length of the tail and that is where your height comes in to play. But it's all a matter of preference. I have owned slings with long tails like an Oopa, and slings where I wore my tails much shorter like Zolo's. I prefer a shorter tail with an older child so I can just tuck it out of the way. With a younger child longer tails are easier because you can use it to hide the baby while they are sleeping or nursing and also to hide your belly while nursing.

Here is a link to my local babywearing groups flickr page.
You can see a woman here who is very pregnant wearing a MT: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrythechildren/2201402842/
And one of me 5 months pregnant and wearing a silk sling (silk is awesome because it is so supportive): http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrythechildren/2201399902/