PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU cook a roast?

gatorsmom
05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
I've never made one. I'd love some different ideas. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought this'd bring in some unique ideas (besides, I need to make it for dinner tonight- time crunch, kwim?).

Feel free to move this thread if I'm violating any rules.

JBaxter
05-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I use the roasting bags ( like you do turkeys in only the smaller size) I put in onions, carrots and potatoes. Makes clean up very easy

JenaW
05-30-2008, 03:46 PM
I am assuming it is a beef roast? I have a few different ways depending on the amount of time, size of the meet, etc.

For a hearty (usually winter but could be anytime of year) dinner, I surround the roast with root veggies (carrots, onions, etc and potatoes), season well (salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, whatever you like and have on hand) in a roasting pan/dutch oven/even a 9x13 baking dish and cook slowly until done (325ish). You can start it at a higher temp and turn down if you are pressed for time, or even sear the sides of it on the stove and then roast in the oven. You can add some water or broth to the pan if the veggies start to stick/cook too fast, etc.

I have also "smothered" with various things and cooked the same way as above. Ex's include cream of mushroom soup and a container of cut-up mushrooms; a bottle of red wine; french onion soup mix with some liquid (broth, wine, water).

HTH.

Jera

linsei
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
depends what kind of meat.

I use a pressure cooker, but on a lower flame. Season and fill pot with roast about half way with water. Cook about 1-1.5 hours. It falls apart and is so tender.

Pork roast is yummy with apples, raisins and cinnamon.

Beef is good with Good seasons, Hidden Valley mix, or onion soup mix if you want something simple.

I cook the vegetables in the juices in the pressure cooker after the meat is done. If I cook it all together the vegetables are mushy. They only need about 2 minutes to cook.

ThreeofUs
05-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I adore this recipe - but it means a little work. Serve with polenta or garlic mashed potatoes.

Pot Roast

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (3- to 3 1/2-lb) boneless beef chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 lb sliced pancetta, finely chopped - can be bacon or another savory meat
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4 (4- to 6-inch) sprigs fresh thyme
2 (6- to 8-inch) sprigs fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups full-bodied, fairly dry red wine (Barolo, Ripasso Valpolicella, Gigondas, Côtes du Rhône, etc.)
2 cups water (or low-salt beef broth)

Special equipment: a 4- to 5-qt heavy ovenproof pot with lid

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to (250-325°F, slower for better).

Heat oil in pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking.

Meanwhile, pat meat dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Brown meat in hot oil on all sides, about 10 minutes total. (If bottom of pot begins to scorch, lower heat to moderate.) Transfer to a plate using a fork and tongs.

Add pancetta to oil in pot and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until browned and fat is rendered, about 3 minutes. Add onion, carrot, and celery and sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and rosemary and sauté, stirring, until garlic begins to soften and turn golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and boil until liquid is reduced by about half, about 5 minutes. Add water and bring to a simmer, then return meat along with any juices accumulated on plate to pot. Cover pot with lid and transfer to oven. Braise until meat is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (lower temp means about 5 hours of cooking)

Cooks' note: Beef improves in flavor if made 3 days ahead. Cool completely in sauce, uncovered, then chill in sauce, covered. Fat will congeal into a sheet; remove before reheating. Reheat, covered, in a preheated 350°F oven until hot, 25 to 30 minutes, then slice meat.

Transfer meat to a cutting board. Skim fat from surface of sauce and discard along with herb stems. Boil sauce until reduced by about one third, about 5 minutes, then season with salt. Cut meat across the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices and return to sauce.

Makes 4 servings.

gatorsmom
05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I am assuming it is a beef roast? I have a few different ways depending on the amount of time, size of the meet, etc.

For a hearty (usually winter but could be anytime of year) dinner, I surround the roast with root veggies (carrots, onions, etc and potatoes), season well (salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, whatever you like and have on hand) in a roasting pan/dutch oven/even a 9x13 baking dish and cook slowly until done (325ish). You can start it at a higher temp and turn down if you are pressed for time, or even sear the sides of it on the stove and then roast in the oven. You can add some water or broth to the pan if the veggies start to stick/cook too fast, etc.

Sounds easy. How long do I cook it for at 325?

JenaW
05-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Until it's done (sheepish grin). Honestly, it depends on the size of your roast. One that is several pounds can take several hours. I usually just plug in my thermometer and set it for 140-145F (medium-ish). You are supposed to let it sit for 15 minutes, during which time it is supposed to rise another 5-10 degrees, but we are always to impatient/hungry, etc. I also usually cut into the center (another no-no) and make sure it is not too red for our liking.

I found this online if you need a more accurate description than my "method" :)

Cooking at a constant oven temperature of 300°F (160°C), a 5- to 8-lb standing rib roast will take 17-19 minutes per pound for rare, 20-22 for medium rare, 23-25 minutes for medium, and 27-30 minutes for well done. A sirloin roast of 8- to 12-lbs will take 16-20 minutes for rare, 20-22 for medium rare, 23-25 for medium, and 26-30 for well done. A boneless top round, by contrast, will take 28-30 minutes for rare, 30-33 for medium rare, 34-38 for medium, and 40-45 for well done.

If you roast at 325°F (160°C), subtract 2 minutes or so per pound. If the roast is refrigerated just before going into the oven, add 2 or 3 minutes per pound.

HTH
Jera

ETA since it is nearly dinner time here (5pm est) if you have a large roast that will serve more than you need for tonight, you can cut it smaller or even preslice it and cook it that way which will take much less time.

jd11365
05-30-2008, 06:22 PM
This is the best and easiest potroast EVER. Seriously.

Throw a chuck roast in a baking dish, sprinkle both sides with salt and black pepper, cover with a can of seasoned petite diced tomatoes, add carrots and quartered onions, cover and cook at 350 for 3ish hours...or until becomes fork tender and falls apart.

Serve with mashed potatoes. The tomato gravy from the roast is delish with this! :drool:

Joolsplus2
05-30-2008, 07:24 PM
My DH and my mom had some bitter holiday fights over what to do to the roast beast until they both saw how to do it right on Good Eats... http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/alton_brown/good_eats/dry-aged_standing_rib_roast_with_sage_jus.html

That's not your everyday recipe, but if you have a $50 piece of meat, that's the only way to cook it, IMO ;)

kellyd
05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I toss it in my slow cooker, add 2 or 3 cans of beef broth, at least 1 bag of baby carrots ( I love roasted carrots) and a whole onion... salt and pepper to taste, and cook on low for hours lol. I start it at 8am and it's done when i come home at 6, probably done sooner... but i'm not around to check it.

I always make mashed potatos w/ mine cause i'm not a fan of roasted potatos. You can also make a ranch potato to go w/ which is cook your potatos for mashing the night before, drain and add 1 reg size container of ranch dip and 1 package of cream cheese... mash and put in a baking dish. BAke in the over at 350 for 25-30 minutes. YUM!

GeekLady
05-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Beef - Slow cooker on low. Drop in a roast, a packet of beefy onion soup mix dissolved in 2 cups of water, a whole pound of baby carrots, and some red potatoes. If the Husband is setting up, that's all he does, I'll grind fresh pepper over the top of everything.

Pork (for pulled pork) - Season it with Montreal Steak Seasoning, and then in the dutch oven in a 325F oven until it falls apart when you twist it with a fork.

Preseasoned Pork Loin - Wrap it up in foil, 325F oven until it's done. Careful not to spill the fat when you're checking on it, or taking it out. These tend to be small diameter long cuts, and cook really fast, 30-45 minutes.