PDA

View Full Version : Baby develops full-term ectopically

Ceepa
05-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Baby was born at 38 weeks. 6 pounds, 3 ounces. Mom and baby doing well.

(From AP)

SYDNEY, Australia (May 30) - A woman in a northern Australian city gave birth to a healthy baby girl after a rare full-term ectopic pregnancy, a hospital official said Friday.

Meera Thangarajah, 34, had no symptoms or complications during her pregnancy, so doctors performing a routine Caesarean section Thursday were shocked to find that the baby had developed in the ovary rather than the uterus.

-----------------------------
ETA: A couple more paragraphs of the article because there was a question about prenatal scans not picking up the abnormal pregnancy:

Baby Durga weighed 6 pounds, 3 ounces, and both she and her mother are healthy, said Robyn Cahill, general manager of the Darwin Private Hospital. ...

But Cahill said the mother had no complications or symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy, and it did not show up on a scan halfway through the pregnancy. She said only 1 in 40,000 fertilizations implant in the ovary, and it is unheard of that one of those fetuses grow to full term, generally 37 weeks.

ThreeofUs
05-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow! I'm not sure I've ever heard of a full term baby from ectopic pregnancy. Everyone must have been in shock.

KBecks
05-30-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm so glad they are OK.

schums
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Wow!! Never heard of this happening before!

Do they not perform routine ultrasounds or do the doppler heartbeat thing in Australia? When I was preg with DC, the doc checked for a heartbeat in an expected place starting at 6-8 weeks and I had the standard 20 wk ultrasound. I'd think that consistently finding the hearbeat REALLY high would trigger some questions, but maybe not. Not judging or anything, just wondering.

egoldber
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I read about a similar case in England maybe 2 or 3 years ago?

She's extremely fortunate.

In many places, an ultrasound is not routine.

kep
05-30-2008, 06:36 PM
That's amazing. I bet the doctors performing the section about passed out once they realized what was going on.

Emmas Mom
05-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Holy cow! How is that possible? I didn't think an ovary could stretch/grow!

schums
05-30-2008, 06:56 PM
OK, how could they miss that the baby was NOT in the uterus??? I understand (sort of) if she hadn't had an U/S, but she did. Not an U/S tech or doc, but isn't that kind of a basic thing to check?

She's VERY lucky!! Bet the OR was a fun place to be that day!

bubbaray
05-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Some u/s tech or OB who did the scan is gonna be out of a job soon, that's my prediction.

Mom & baby are both very very lucky.