PDA

View Full Version : WWYD if your DH gives away the furniture to his cousin without asking you?

kusumat
05-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Due to the move, we have been selling all of our furniture. DH told me that his cousin would buy one piece of our furniture. I just found out that he would just give it away for free. There have been several people interested in buying it. Should I be upset that he didn't even ask me me before verbally giving it away? It was paid from our joint account. It was a nice leather sofa.

SnuggleBuggles
05-30-2008, 06:27 PM
It'd be nice had he run it by you but I would personally just be happy if dh got rid of the stuff since in the long run that is the goal. We always offer to give away our stuff first though before selling it so I would have been going into it with a different expectation. I'd feel weird taking $ from family or friends a lot of the time. Maybe you could make a stipulation that the cousin comes to get it at their expense soon or you will sell it? At least have a firm plan for the furniture w/ the cousin so you don't have to deal with it.

Beth

blisstwins
05-30-2008, 06:53 PM
If you guys are really strict about keeping your finances separate or money is a very big issue I would be upset, but it is hard to sell something like that to family. I would feel weird in his situation asking the cousin for money, but it really depends on how your family works. If he did something against the norm I would be upset, but family is different.

schums
05-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I would have been annoyed if DH didn't discuss it with me first, especially if I had (non-family) people interested in buying it. I'm not sure that I'd try to sell it to family, but I would only have offered it for free if there wasn't anyone who wanted to buy it or if there was a great need on the part of a family member.

lizajane
05-30-2008, 07:17 PM
my DH gave away our computer (when we got a new one) to my sister and BIL without asking me. BIL is a computer tech so he knew how to "clean it up" and make it "good" again. i told DH i had planned to sell it. but how could i be angry at generosity???

MamaMolly
05-30-2008, 10:22 PM
ITA with the PP who suggested that you stipulate that DH's cousin can have the sofa if he comes to get it by XXX date. I find that people can get lazy when things are free and might not come pick it up as soon as you'd like. Since DH gave it away, the least he can do is help with this!

I'd be annoyed if DH did this, but I also agree that family is tricky and at this point you're probably better off explaining to DH why it bugs you, but be gracious to your family.