PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Changing Kit

VidyaParanjape
05-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Should we have the Diaper Changing kit ready even before baby's arrival?

I am not sure what creams to get for the rash.. There are so many products, I am not sure if the ones I get will suit my DC.

Should we get new born diapers as well? I read somewhere that it depends upon baby size..

Please help.

What should go into a Diaper changing kit?

susandink
05-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Our baby just took us by total surprise and came 4 weeks early!! I had literally just gone out and got myself Buttcream, travel wipes and diapers!

We brought our own wipes, cream and diapers to the hospital. Our baby was only 5 pounds so the the newborn size were too big.And I was glad to have some premie size with me.

Also, I've found that alot of the newborn clothes are way too big as they are sized for 0-3months. You may want to pick up a premie outfit to take baby home from the hospital in even if he/she is full term!

JBaxter
05-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I would buy ONE bag of newborn diapers. Diapers are something that are available 24/7 everywhere. I personally liked triple paste for diaper rashes its a little more expensive but works wonderfully. Until they get all the meconium out of their system I also coated their bottoms with aquaphor makes the black sticky poo come off easier. Newborns should only get wiped with water for the first few weeks their skin is very sensitive. I also didnt use anytime of baby soap ( except for their hair) for several weeks. Before I switched to cloth wipes ( baby wash cloths work well) I would wet a viva paper towel to wipe a newborns bottom ( they seem to be the softest paper towels)

bubbaray
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
I used Pampers Swaddlers newborn diapers for both girls. I also used Pampers wipes with both. Huggies wipes gave them rashes. My favorite diaper cream is the Gerber oatmeal cream in the blue tube and Sudacream in a grey tub (its from Ireland). I'm not sure if those are available in the US, though. I agree with the PP that Aquaphor works well too.

mamaoftwins
05-31-2008, 10:21 AM
We got Pampers Swaddlers Newborn-size (both of my guys were little - 5lbs and 4lbs 7oz and the Newborn-size was a bit big, but the Nurses at the hosp showed us how to fold it to make it fit and it worked fine), Huggies wipes, and 3 kinds of cream:

1. A+D diaper ointment (we buy the Target brand of this, works just as well and is cheaper!) - this was good to apply at every diaper change especially in the beginning b/c the first few bowel movements are meconium and super-sticky, so if the baby already has a little A+D on their bum, cleaning off these sticky poops is MUCH easier. I still use A+D on them each night when I put them to bed b/c they are staying in that diaper for awhile.

2. Desitin Creamy (blue tube) - this is good when their bums look a little red.

3. Desitin Regular (purple tube) - this is good when their bums look really red.

Just note, if your baby has diaper rash that is not going away despite applying creams or is getting worse, make sure to call your pediatrician. There are diaper rashes that need prescription creams sometimes.

We didn't bring any of this stuff to the hosp, but did have it ready at home for when we came home. My advice: don't buy too much of anything at one time. You'll find that you'll have to go through a trial-and-error period with products, so don't buy too much. Then you won't have to waste a ton if you don't like it.

Good luck!

vludmilla
05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I second or third the recommendation for Aquaphor. It works amazingly well and there are no unsafe ingredients (parabens, etcetera). My DD was 3lb 12oz and the newborn Pampers Swaddlers are what we used with no problem. Sure they were big, but really, who cares? I also highly recommend not using any baby soaps or wipes, they are usually full of undesirable chemicals and they are completely unneccesarry. Babies don't get that dirty when they are newborns and their skin is extremely delicate and more prone to absorbing chemicals. I used plain warm water with either Viva papertowels or baby washcloths instead of wipes and it worked very well. I kept warm water in an insulated thermos container with a pump style top on the changing table so I could just pump out a little warm water on a papertowel or washcloth as needed.
Good luck with the new baby!