PDA

View Full Version : ISO Ideas for 10th Anniversary Trip

LD92599
05-31-2008, 04:41 PM
DH & I starting to think about a trip for our 10th Anniversary, which would be Sept 2009. We're in NJ - we have one week (plus the weekends on either side) for travel, etc.

We've thought about an Alaska Cruise....or a Princess Cruise to Canada out of NY. We're also thinking Disney but won't do that if DS can't come with us (he'll be in 1st grade then).

Throw some ideas to me please! We're not beach people...so no stricktly beach destinations! We also don't mind traveling in the "off" season if that's what it would be.

elizabethkott
05-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Are you guys big into "activity" based vacations? Exploring? Tours?
And what sort of price range?
They are rather expensive, but the Tauck Tours company puts together exquisite tours. My family went on the England/Scotland/Wales one as my high school graduation gift. I will never forget it. Fantastic hotels, getting to see so much cool stuff, having mostly everything taken care of but still a lot of free time... I know they also do "child friendly" family tours.
Here's the site:
http://www.tauck.com/
HTH!

StantonHyde
06-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I would go for Spain--such an amazing place. I plan my own vacations--book everything through the net and no tours except maybe a day tour or so (e.g through wine country). I am sure you could find a tour there.

For our honeymoon, we went to Rome (2 days), Florence (3 days), Tuscany (4 days). I would go back, stay in Florence for 3 days and then rent a villa in Chianti/Tuscany and do day trips. There is also an amazing hotel outside of Siena that is gorgeous and great concierge service. That was just a truly amazing trip.

Closer to home--Napa and/or Sonoma Valleys. A driving tour of the soutwestern parks--Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion etc--gorgeous views.

deenass
06-02-2008, 09:11 PM
We went when my husband had a business trip - we were there for 8 days and it was FABULOUS. SO much to do, most people understand (Or speak) english, great shopping, TERRIFIC food (at every price point) and extremely romantic!

M&Mmom
06-02-2008, 09:58 PM
If you're kinda outdoorsy I would look into REI Adventures. We did our belated honeymoon through them and hiked around Ireland. It was the best trip I have ever taken.

bubbaray
06-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Florence, Italy.

Mermanaid
06-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I second Paris. Great food, beautiful city, lots to do. We went in February. It was chilly, but we made it through with cashmere sweaters and a light coat. I've heard it's beautiful in May/June when the flowers are blooming. Can't wait to go back again.

niccig
06-02-2008, 11:22 PM
For our 5th, which is this year, we're going to a hotel we love in Tuscany. For our 10th, it'll be another trip to Nepal/Tibet. So both are places we've been to and love. Is there a place that you've been to again that you would want to revisit for a romantic holiday???

s7714
06-03-2008, 01:03 AM
:popc1:
Our 10th is coming up in 2010 and I'm already drooling over thoughts of a nice kid-free vacation somewhere! I'll be watching this thread for sure!

Jen841
06-03-2008, 01:17 PM
We plan on returning to where we honeymooned... two years to change that plan : ) It was a great mix of adventure, beach, sun and relaxing... and good food. We felt very removed from the fast paced world we live in.

salsah
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
we also plan to return to where we honeymooned.

wellyes
06-03-2008, 01:43 PM
3rd vote for Paris. Stay in the Latin District, it is easy to do on your own without get stuck with a tour group. Eat in street fairs and in great restaurants, stroll the river, explore the museums, soak in the beauty.

willow33
06-03-2008, 06:46 PM
If you want to stay a little closer to home...I would go to Vermont. I lived there for 7 years and there is so much to do depending on season (hiking, boating, skiiing, tons of B&Bs, family-friendly if you decide to bring your son).

Or even Montreal...fun city with tons of things to do and see!

Our 10 yr anniv is in 2009 and we don't have plans yet, but your post has definitely inspired me to plan something :)

fortato
06-03-2008, 07:10 PM
If you're looking to just relax.. Check out the Cornhill House, in Biggar, Scotland.

It's where we wanted to go for our anniversary last weekend, but I am too chicken to leave Jack for more than a day.

The hotel only has 7 rooms, but it is stunning, and very secluded... There's a lot to see.. and it's not very far from Edinburgh..

LBW
06-03-2008, 07:34 PM
How about Iceland? I've always wanted to go there. It's a short flight from NJ/NY, and if you want a package tour, Iceland Air usually has interesting options.

You've done the Cunard thing, right? That's another dream trip for me.

My third suggestion would be Venice. I know others suggested Florence, but for me, Venice wins hands down. It's so peaceful and beautiful, and like nothing you've ever seen before.

pinkmomagain
06-04-2008, 11:16 AM
For our 10th we did a short cruise out of NY on Cunard's Queen Mary2. That was fun. We need to plan our 15th for next year...I'm thinking Paris or Italy. Recently we went to Napa and had such a great time. It is so beautiful and if you like wine and food this is a great place to go! We stayed at a very unique, gorgeous place - Carneros Inn. Check it out!