PDA

View Full Version : Mild Panic Attack: Radian Replacement Parts Safe ?

jhamman
06-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi,

I have a question about the Radian replacements parts
that I ordered from skjp.com...are these considered
"after-market" accessories?

My Radian replacement buckle tongs, center buckle strap,
and dry-seat are all sold by Sunshine Kids,
but I haven't seen any documentation that says
the Radian has been crash-tested with those accessories.

(Sorry, I'm just a little concerned because Sunshine Kids
also sells that Mighty-Tite Belt Tightener, and isn't that a
prime example of an after-market accessory that we are
NOT supposed to use ? )

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!
-- jhamman

brookemd
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm sure Jools can chime in, but I'm pretty sure they are safe. The only difference in the crotch strap is like 1/2 inch of length. And the wider buckle tongs are the same as the original ones, except they are, well wider, and allow the straps to slide through them more easily. Nothing that I can think would compromise their safety. I believe I've even heard that the newer Radians are supposed to start coming with these parts on the "stock", but mine didn't, and I haven't heard this from anyone who has gotten one. I also believe that I read that SK crash tested their seats with the britax clip, so it is also safe to use. Granted I'm not a tech, but I can't see that these modifications would make the seat less safe. If you are really worried, you should call SK to confirm...

Joolsplus2
06-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, they are fine. As the PP noted, minor modifications aren't a problem, and if the seat maker itself sells them for use with their seat, they are fine. Other seats have harness variations all the time that don't make a difference in their performance (Cosco, for example, changes buckles and harnesses like the rest of us change our underwear:))