PDA

View Full Version : going CRAZY, baby doesn't sleep

TraciG
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
UGH my DS is 3 month's old & doesn't know how to fall asleep on his own yet, he usually fall's asleep comfort nursing BUT when I try to put him down he immediately start's crying & wake's up, if I'm lucky I can get him to go back to sleep in the swing but this happens RARELY ! He sleep's in my bed with me in my arm's usually in nursing position, I don't move in my sleep, not the best sleep for eighter of us, this wasn't planned , just happened .

I am going to do Ferber but he's still to young, I did it with my DD at 51/2 month's & it worked GREAT with her. We're afraid it wont be as easy this time since he has cried/ screamed in the car for an entire hour without falling asleep.

I was having luck with him falling asleep while in the BJorn but I can't even count on that anymore. My poor baby & me are so sleep deprieved !

Meanwhile my DD is the deepest sleeper & is now asleep , I didn't
want her asleep now it's dinner time & now she'll be up late. I left he rin her room a little over 5 minutes & she went into her bed & passed out!

anyway any tip's ??

elephantmeg
06-02-2008, 06:18 PM
nak sigh, me too.... sorry

Melarina
06-02-2008, 07:17 PM
My baby had a lot of trouble sleeping anywhere but in someone's arms. Turned out that she had reflux and once we got that treated things improved. Of course that was just our experience but wanted to share as we went through some sleep deprivation and didn't know what to do.

nov04
06-02-2008, 07:48 PM
dd2 slept in the sling quite comfortably until 4m when she graduated quite easily to the crib.

GL!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2008, 07:49 PM
We had luck with tummy sleeping with ds2 or swaddling. Ds1 was an awesome sleeper but ds2 isn't. We have an Angel Care monitor but since we only let him tummy sleep if co-sleeping we didn't bother setting it up. Swaddling helped him. I nurse him to sleep still at night. I don't care if the books say not to do that. It puts him to sleep and I can transfer him to his crib with pretty good success. If he partially wakes up he used to take a pacifier and drift back off easily.

Beth

ShanaMama
06-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I've been thinking about you lately, wondering how things are going. No real suggestions, just :hug:
Will he take a pacifier?

linsei
06-02-2008, 11:07 PM
I nurse and rock to sleep, and don't really feel guilty about it. I justify that ds1 turned out ok, so it is ok to do this time.

One little trick I do... when I put him down, he wakes up a bit when I pull my arm out from underneath him, but I still hold on to his sides like I am still holding him and stay close to him (trying to make him feel like I'm still holding him) until he has gotten over the startle of being put down in the crib. It's hard to describe, but it helps for us. He sleeps on a foam reflux incline board.

BTW, how is big sis doing with her little brother now? We still are dealing with it some here.

Wife_and_mommy
06-02-2008, 11:17 PM
The way I started DS was to put him against the side of the crib(on his side) so he wouldn't feel alone. A paci helped too.

Have you tried swaddling him?

Hang in there!

mezzona
06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
----------

TraciG
06-03-2008, 09:06 AM
thanks everyone, I have given up on the pacifier. I do swaddle him at night, unfortunatley Jacob is up at time's longer then 2 hour's .I'm thrilled that he's asleep in the swing now, I can shower AND eat breakfast !! Only thing I'm worried about is that I will have to wake him & feed him by 10:30 because I have to pick up my DD at nursery then go to the park & drop her off at Pre K .

I decided when DD start's camp, the end of June I will start Ferber, I think it's unfair for him not to be able to sleep & lately I can tell he's not comfy in my arms in bed, my boob is in his mouth at least half the night !!!!!!!!!!!!

wellyes
06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
You can't Ferber a 3/4 month old -they do not have the ability to self-sooth at that age. They do eventually fall asleep from exhaustion, but that's not the same thing. Ferber recommends waiting until at least 5 months.

One thing that works for me (most nights) is having DH put her down to sleep after I've finished nursing. She reacts differently to different caretakers, and she definitely fusses and cries to mommy more than to anyone else in her life.

Good luck, BTDT!!

ltmommy
06-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Hang in there - I was SO there last year. By 4 months I was desperate - I must have looked like a crazy lady at the 4 month visit. The doctor suggested 3 things at that time - 1) keep swaddling, and swaddle for naptime too (weird since DD gave up the swaddle at exactly 3 months, as if she had read Dr. Karp), 2) start rice cereal, and 3) let him cry. I tried them all right away, the first day. I sat there reading a magazine, crying, as he screamed on and off for almost an hour, comforting him every 10 minutes, until I gave up and held him as he fell asleep. But I will say something worked, and suddenly within a few days he was a completely different baby. It's like they get into a vicious cycle of no sleep, exhaustion, overtiredness, insomnia, and no sleep.

So maybe another month or so and you can try some or all of the above... I will say now DS is a GREAT sleeper, much better than DD even, who slept through the night at 6 months.

Good luck!

elephantmeg
06-05-2008, 08:45 AM
DD is the same way and apparently has reflux. I started her on her prevacid yesterday afternoon and last night she slept in her crib (!!!!) on her back (!!!!) from 11-4, then ate. This is a huge improvement from the last 2 weeks. I feel so much better. I slept 5 hours in a row! And she's been much less fussy nursing too. Apparently her weight gain has slowed down some since she's been so fussy/not wanting to nuse as much. Hang in there, and check out the reflux angle...

LBW
06-05-2008, 11:47 AM
DD is the same way and apparently has reflux. I started her on her prevacid yesterday afternoon and last night she slept in her crib (!!!!) on her back (!!!!) from 11-4, then ate. This is a huge improvement from the last 2 weeks. I feel so much better. I slept 5 hours in a row! And she's been much less fussy nursing too. Apparently her weight gain has slowed down some since she's been so fussy/not wanting to nuse as much. Hang in there, and check out the reflux angle...

I could have written this post! DS3 is 6 months, and I had a light bulb moment the other night that all of his issues can be explained by reflux. I started him on prescription pepcid yesterday and he slept from 8-6:30! He has NEVER slept more than a few hours at night and typically has at least one 2-3 hour screaming fit in the middle of the night. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke.

elephantmeg
06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I could have written this post! DS3 is 6 months, and I had a light bulb moment the other night that all of his issues can be explained by reflux. I started him on prescription pepcid yesterday and he slept from 8-6:30! He has NEVER slept more than a few hours at night and typically has at least one 2-3 hour screaming fit in the middle of the night. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke.

yeah, I hear you on the screaming fit in the night too, I've been up from 4:30-5:30 or more every night this week-except last night. Bliss, and here's to sleeping babies (fingers crossed, fingers crossed)

hellbennt
06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
if you think it might be reflux, I'm a Moderator at infantreflux.org

and here's the Welcome post that I give to all newcomers :D

http://www.infantreflux.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=853&PN=1&TPN=1

~laura in miami~
ds1 7/03
ds2 7/06

LBW
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Laura. Off to check it out.

if you think it might be reflux, I'm a Moderator at infantreflux.org