PDA

View Full Version : Which diaper pail do you prefer?

luv2bmommy
06-02-2008, 06:07 PM
I am having a hard time deciding which one best contains the smell, what is your experience?

SnuggleBuggles
06-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Newborn diapers don't tend to be smelly, at least w/ bf babies, so any old trashcan will do if using disposables. And when they get older you can and should flush the solid waste and it keeps the smell down so, so much that you really can get by with just a plain, lidded trash can rather than a fancy diaper pail, in my experience.

Beth

wendibird22
06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree with the pp. A regular pail works fine. We have a small garbage pail in our family room next to the PNP (which has a changing table) and because it's small we have to empty it every few days and so really no smell. We have a Diaper Champ upstairs in the baby's room (we registered for it because we thought we needed a diaper pail) and it works well as well and we like that it just uses regular garbage bags. I will admit though, now that DD is getting older and eating solids it can get a bit stinky by the end of the week, but still really not too bad.

Drag0nflygirl
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm going to be the slightly less practical one here because I hate my plain pail. It seems to get stinky pretty quick. I love my diaper champ though. It's been redesigned since I bought mine, and it looks like the little things I didn't like about it have been fixed.

MNmomtobe
06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
I am having a hard time deciding which one best contains the smell, what is your experience?

I think the Diaper Genie probably contains smells the best since it encases each diaper in a plastic baggie. We have the Diaper Champ and love it. It is super easy to use and as pp mentioned, it is nice to be able to use regular garbage bags. I think it works pretty well at containing odors.

deannanb
06-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Had a diaper champ - actually 2 - which I really liked.
and it was super easy to change the bag -
a little smelly - but putting some bounce fabric softners in the bottom or some other type of smelly container always worked.

for some reason decided to try the diaper geni - it does contain the smell. no question about that
but it was a PAIN to change the bag -
It has been sitting in my son's room for the last month - untouched.

I just got a new Diaper Champ for this baby!

janine
06-03-2008, 09:19 AM
anybody have experience with diaper dekor?

Kindra178
06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I love the Dekor. i just bought a second one - after two years it doesn't contain the smell as well. only negative is that you have to buy their bags.

wellyes
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
I have a Decor, and I do not use their bags. Just put a regular trash bag in. It seems to do a great job containing the smell, but then again, I have a breast-fed 2 month old so her diapers don't smell very strongly anyway.

I do plan to start using the Decor bags if my current method doesn't control the odor well as she gets bigger.

proudsahmof3
06-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I have been using the same Diaper Champ for 3.5 years with both my sons. I think it contains the smell pretty well (and the diapers that a 20-month-old and 3.5-year-old produce ain't pretty!) and I use store brand garbage bags, but I do give it a good washing probably once a month. When I was a nanny the family had a Diaper Genie and I hated it. I think it contained the smell fairly well, but when you had to change the bag, the aroma was overwhelming!

sue_g
06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
I really like the Diaper Champ. We had two. It saved a lot of money by using regular trash bags.

klyama
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
At home, I use the Diaper Genie II and it works pretty well. There's no smell at all and it's easy to use. I wrap my diaper up using the side tabs, so when you push it in there isn't any chance of the diaper leaking. My only criticism is that the way the liner dispenses is not very efficient, so there's some unnecessary waste at times. Other than that, it works well enough. On the road, I use this dispenser by Munchkin that you can get at Target. It has a little yellow ducky on top of a dispenser roll of scented bags. The bags are a good size and can hold a couple of diapers, plus the scent is long-lasting. I've forgotten a tied dirty bag in my diaper bag overnight and everything remained sweet smelling. Plus the replacement rolls are inexpensive...think it's $2.99 for 3 rolls.

KBecks
06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Diaper Genie II. I got one to replace our Dekor after our Dekor broke and I tried the DGII at a friend's house.

bubbaray
06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
We used a Diaper Champ with DD#1 until the stick got so bad we thought we were going to have to move out of our house. Coincided with her starting solids. Ewwwww. Got the Neat system and it works great! We are using the same Neat pail now with DD#2.

mamaoftwins
06-04-2008, 10:56 AM
We have the Diaper Genie II as well. Have not noticed a smell from it at all since we started using it when the boys were born. (and they do have some toxic poops!) But, I do have to empty mine once a day, as with two kids, it fills up quick. We go through about 3 refills/month, so factor in 1-2 refills/month for a singleton ($5-6ea - we get ours at Target or Walmart for $5.04ea, BRUs runs $5.69 or $5.99, I can't remember) when you're thinking about this pail. I like using the refills b/c I can't imagine how many Target bags or kitchen trash bags I'd have to go through with another pail. And the refill bags seal everything up really tight, like a dirty diaper sausage, if you will. ;)

ltmommy
06-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Another vote for the Diaper Genie II. I LOVE IT! I had the Diaper Champ with DD, and loved the whole regular trash bag thing - at first. Then it became scented trashbags, plus baking soda, plus little air fresheners, and then it still just STANK. And forget changing it. The empty pail just stank. And since the diaper touches the plastic, you have to clean the plastic chute regularly too.

So I was a little skeptical about the DGII, but I figured it couldn't be much worse. No cleaning the pail since the liner covers the chute. And I have had NO odor issues - and DS is now 13 months, fully on solids, so there are some awful diapers. It is amazing, you walk into his room and you can't even smell anything, which was NOT the case with the Champ.

mdb78
06-04-2008, 10:07 PM
We have the diaper champ and we're happy with it. My cousin has the diaper genie and The only thing I didn't like about the genie is that you have to push the diaper down.

amycoh
06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
I love my diaper dekor- no touching, just press the pedal with your foot and toss the diaper in - it also does a great job on the odors as long as you change it every 5 days or so (with a 2 and a half year old) We used to be able to go much longer. I also dont think the bags are that expensive considering they last a long time.

clc053103
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
warning against Diaper Dekor. Foot pedal and lid both broke- didn't make it through one child's diapering days! And the new biodegradeable bags are more expensive and do not do a good job containing odor- I wrote to Regal Lager but they said they only market it, they don't make it.

wendibird22
06-05-2008, 09:24 AM
And since the diaper touches the plastic, you have to clean the plastic chute regularly too.
\

We've been using our Champ for 10 mos and I haven't had to clean the chute yet. I guess I've been lucky that none of DDs diapers have been really messy.

Also, ditto the Munchkin diaper duck for travel. Love, love, love it. Best baby gift I received. Seriously. Fits great into any size diaper bag. Convenient for changes on the go or when you are at a friends/family's house who doesn't have a child and you don't want to feel bad putting a stinky diaper in the kitchen/bathroom garbage. The bags have a powder scent.

lorinick
06-05-2008, 10:09 AM
The Diaper Champ is Gross! It was redesigned and not well either. I have friends that have them and they love them. But there the old ones. I got one last June for a shower gift. In the begining it was fine baby BF. As soon as we started with solids that was it. We were empting it twice a week and using Lysol. Nothing helped we stopped using it and went back to the Diaper Genie from our first. I didn't want to buy refills, but it works and works well.

sarahsthreads
06-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Yep, agree with the Diaper Dekor Plus. We've had ours for over 3.5 years now - DD still wears pull-ups at night, so we're not completely diaper-free yet. I love that I don't have to use two hands - step on the pedal, toss in the diaper, move on with life. That was *really* important to me when DD was smaller and on a changing table, because I could still keep a hand on her while I tossed the diaper. The refills last forever, and when DD had stinky diapers it filled up and got emptied before it stank. (And the nice thing about the liner system they use is that if you want to empty it early you're not wasting a whole lot of plastic.)

We plan to use the same pail for DD2, if we go the disposable route again. (I'm thinking of trying out g-diapers this time around instead.)

Sarah :)

lorinick
06-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Do NOt Buy The DIAPER CHAMP! It use to be good but when they redesigned it not good. I got one last June or July from my register. It was fine in the begining BF baby. Started solids alll over! Lysol changing twice a week. GROSS! GROSS! Went back to the Diaper Genie we used with the first. Had to buy refills again but it works.

dr mom
06-06-2008, 07:08 PM
We have a Diaper Champ and I love it, but it is four years old, so not the new redesign. Once we figured out how to properly install the bag, there was no smell.

We mostly use cloth diapers, and for that I use a regular lidded trash can and then empty it (to do laundry) every other day, and that also contains odor quite well.

Jen841
06-08-2008, 08:53 PM
DH has dog nose, and so did I when I was pregnant. When we would go to friend's houses DH could tell he did not want what they have (Champ, pail,...).

I am cheap and confess to HATING to pay for the inserts, but they are worth every penny... and DH will change it b/c he wanted it (a deal is a deal!) 5 years later going strong, and we had to buy a second b/c of the overlap of the 2 kids.

Another thought, we have 2 floors and emptying the upstairs trash happens once a week. You never smell the BM diapers, which is a blessing.

DH is so opinionated with this (this and the stroller are the only things he is opinionated about) that he will tell his expecting friends to make sure they have these, and he wanted to go buy one for his brother when he smelled what they were using (pail.)

luv2bmommy
06-09-2008, 08:23 AM
... and DH will change it b/c he wanted it (a deal is a deal!) DH is so opinionated with this (this and the stroller are the only things he is opinionated about) that he will tell his expecting friends to make sure they have these, and he wanted to go buy one for his brother when he smelled what they were using (pail.)
That is sooo funny, I should have my DH read this:) I thought this thread would have given me an easy answer as to whichto choose, but it's all over the board. I think it's a good idea to have DH read the posts and decide, AND change the insert;)