PDA

View Full Version : ? for those that color their hair at home?

JustMe
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
I am looking for an at-home product I can use to color my hair that is gentle/does not harm my hair. I have been using some of the "natural" brands and they just fried my hair. I got a hair cut and need to start new...

thanks,

JustMe
06-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Trying one more time...anyone?

thanks!

katerinasmom
06-04-2008, 08:19 AM
I use Natural Instincts to cover my gray. It's semi-permanent so it doesn't have bleach or ammonia. It only lasts about six weeks but you don't get roots because it simply washes out over time. I hate roots and my hair is pretty fine so I was afraid of using anything with ammonia or bleach.

supercalifragilous
06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
The Allure magazine June 2008 issue listed its annual Reader's Choice winners and Clairol Natural Instincts was tied with L'Oreal Paris Feria for drugstore home hair color. Here's what the article said:

Clairol Natural Instincts The 36 shades are ammonia-free, last through 28 washes, and-shocker!-promise healthier hair with repeated use. It comes with a hair gloss that creates a more intense gleam.
*Reader Review "It actually leaves my hair in better shape than before I colored it-very shiny and silky. Additionally, it's easy to use and has no unpleasant odor. I mix half of two kits-Amber Shimmer and Toasted Almond-and it comes out just right." -Julie Miller, San Diego

luv2bmommy
06-04-2008, 02:00 PM
I've heard Henna coloring is the most natural, but unfortunately offered in very limited shades of red, and I think black. So, it will depend on the color you choose.

HIU8
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
I use a demi permanent color from Wella called Color Charm. It has to be mixed with activator. I get this at a salon supply store. So far so good. My hair is not fried and the color is supposed to last 3ish weeks. However, on my hair, it lasts a bit longer--which is nice. I don't get roots b/c the color simply washes out over time. Oh, and this product does not contain ammonia.

HTH

MontrealMum
06-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I have used both Natural Instincts and Feria and felt that they did less damage than other types. I preferred the Natural Instincts, but I think it was the range of color choices that appealed. Look for demi-permanent color; what you want is something that deposits, not strips. I've also had something called a "color glaze" or "colorwash" applied at salons. Some stylists will even do this in a shade close to your natural color just to boost shine since it only coats the shaft.

JustMe
06-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks, the responses were very helpful! I may try Natural Instincts.

updacountry
06-05-2008, 08:54 AM
I use Natural Instints also. I like that I don't get roots. I really don't ever find the time to keep on top of it. This way I can change my color with my mood, also!

Mikey0709
06-05-2008, 10:08 AM
I second Wella Color Charm... i get it from Sally Beauty supply. This is a professional product and MUCH less harmful to your hair than any box kit you can buy!!!! I was first told to try this from a professional stylist who charges $100/application to apply this $3 stuff! You have to buy the color and activator separate which seems like a pain - but it's REALLY easy and cheaper than a box haircolor.