PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about living in the Las Vegas area?

JamiMac
06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm curious about where the family friendly areas are to live? We're looking at a possible relocation and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.
Thanks!

Tondi G
06-02-2008, 11:40 PM
DH's cousin and aunt and uncle live in Las Vegas.... well they actually live in Henderson and that is where I would suggest you look if you are interested in relocating there. There are a ton of parks and such in the subdivisions .... seems very family friendly. They have the green valley ranch hotel close by with a nice outdoor mall adjacent to it... with a carousel!

http://www.thedistrictatgvr.com/

we have some other friends who live in Summerlin and all I can say is that you do not want to live over there!

HTH's ya!

~Tondi

Emmas Mom
06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
We live in Henderson & there are definitely some nice areas around here. Honestly we do not plan to stay here & raise our girls but I can't complain, they are little & Henderson does have a great Parks/Rec department with TONS, and I do mean TONS of classes for everyone.
Swimming, sports, languages, computers, arts/crafts, dance. And it's year round. There are a few really fun city pools/activity centers. As far as where you look, I would try to find something with a good school district. Ours is "ok" but I joined the PTA & got some insight on who the good teachers are. But our oldest is only going into Kindergarten. There is a GREAT pre-school program called ABC ETC. that's run by the city & they follow the school year. We loved it. The District is definitely a nice area. We also have family that lives in Summerlin & it's a master planned community. They love it. They have a really good school district & it's a pretty new area so it is very nice to look at.

If you want more info you are welcome to PM me. :)

JamiMac
06-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Thank you all for the replys! We are looking at a transfer to there but are going to visit first. It would probably only be for a few years so I would have younger elementary aged kids at the oldest. Both Henderson and Summerlin look nice online from what I've seen. Tondi, just curious what you didn't like about Summerlin?
Coming from Texas, the heat doesn't scare me too much because it's awfully hot here in the summer, but pretty humid too. Maybe I'm being naive though? ;)

Emmas Mom
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
I lived in San Antonio when I was a kid & let me tell you I'll take the desert heat (110 degree days) ANY time over the 90 degree humid weather! Me & humidity do not get along! ;) Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help. :)

Tondi G
06-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Thank you all for the replys! We are looking at a transfer to there but are going to visit first. It would probably only be for a few years so I would have younger elementary aged kids at the oldest. Both Henderson and Summerlin look nice online from what I've seen. Tondi, just curious what you didn't like about Summerlin?
Coming from Texas, the heat doesn't scare me too much because it's awfully hot here in the summer, but pretty humid too. Maybe I'm being naive though? ;)

The only things I know about Summerlin are what our friends who are trying to move from there have told us! They bought a house from plans and just as the framing of their home was up someone came along and burned their and 2 or 3 others to the ground. So the builder opted to move them to another location... better home plan for them for the same price... great, in their minds. All was well, they moved into their home finally, no biggie! About 6 months ago my friend and her husband were home one night and they heard someone trying to break into their home. They actually were holding a door closed as 3 people were trying to force their way in from the other side! SCARY! They did eventually go away and the police were called etc. Nothing ever came of it but it has made my friend very scared to be alone in her own home. Their house is on the market as we speak!

DH's cousin is actually a police officer for LVPD and when I mentioned Summerlin to him he didn't seem too fond of the area! He and his folks are quite happy in Henderson!

~Tondi

mdb78
06-17-2008, 01:42 PM
My cousin's inlaws live in Summerlin and they have an awesome view of the strip from their backyard. Especially at night, it is really beautiful. Her inlaws also seem very happy in Summerlin. To tell you the truth, I'm kind of surprised to hear that Summerlin is not really a good place. I've been there a few times and it seemed like a nice, quiet, safe area.

My cousin's BIL and SIL live in Red Rock Country Club community. Their house is also very beautiful. I remember going upstairs and thinking the house just kept on going. This neighborhood is gated and secured.

I don't know the name of the area where my cousin lives, but it is also a nice area as well.