PDA

View Full Version : Infant Head Support recommendations

Papa Joe
06-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Does anybody have recommendations on the best infant head support (aftermarket) for Graco Snugrides for infants (including newborn/preemie) that isn't too hot for summer months? I cannot seem to find the supports that came with the seats.

Thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
From what I understand, anything that you add to the seat has not been tested. Our Snugride in Lotus came with 2 snap-in head supports.

o_mom
06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
You should only use a head support that Graco has approved for the Snugride. They make one specifically for that seat that you can buy separately. It has been tested with that seat so that you know it fits and won't interfere with the safety of the seat.

This is the one available at Baby Depot:

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=AC025&CategoryID=1

Other than that, you can use rolled up cloth diapers or blankets on either side of their head (not behind or above) until they can hold it up themselves.

Joolsplus2
06-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Second vote for a couple of flannel receiving blankets...or nothing at all (the pads are there to provide something of a snuggly feeling...if you're baby seems extremely fussy with nothing there, then roll up two blankets about long-burrito size and put them on the sides of baby's head like an |0| equals sign. But nothing is really necessary, and a proper recline will prevent the forward head-flop that is dangerous...sideways head flop isn't a big deal).

:)

lorinick
06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I know they say not to use anything. I'm not sure why I can't see what could happen using one. I used the Snuzzler in my Snug Ride. We love it! It worked much better than the head rest that came with. The baby's head looked lost in the one that came with. His whole body was supported with the Snuzzler.

o_mom
06-04-2008, 02:06 PM
The big reason is that the strap holes don't always line up with the width of the straps. This can push the harness off their shoulders or make it hard to tighten. An improperly fit harness can be very dangerous in an accident.

lorinick
06-04-2008, 02:10 PM
The big reason is that the strap holes don't always line up with the width of the straps. This can push the harness off their shoulders or make it hard to tighten. An improperly fit harness can be very dangerous in an accident.

That makes sense but the Snuzzler was just open right down the straps. The straps didn't have to go through any holes and nothing to line up. If that makes any sense. It velcoed so you could make it work with where ever the straps were.

MommyAllison
06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
We used a couple of rolled up prefolds like Julie described for the first few weeks to keep DS's head off his shoulder when he slept :)

Joolsplus2
06-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I know they say not to use anything. I'm not sure why I can't see what could happen using one. I used the Snuzzler in my Snug Ride. We love it! It worked much better than the head rest that came with. The baby's head looked lost in the one that came with. His whole body was supported with the Snuzzler.
Graco prohibits those things in their manuals. Is it dangerous? Maybe, maybe not. But we know it hasn't been tested that way. But as long as you understand that the harness must not be compromised, then there may be bigger dangers to worry about. I'd rather see parents buy seats that have adequate infant inserts, so that the carseat companies have a reason to design and test them with their seats so we can be SURE they are safe (I was thrilled with the infant inserts that came with my Combi and Chicco, IMO Graco has some improving to do on most of their head/infant supports).