PDA

View Full Version : Did *you* get a gift on DC's first birthday?

elizabethkott
06-03-2008, 10:40 PM
A friend of mine's DC will be turning one shortly. Over the weekend, she asked me what my DH got *me* for DC's birthday. When I said, "Ummm, nothing. Why?" she looked at me like I had twelve heads.
I have nevereverevereverEVER heard of this practice.
Did your DH give *you* something for your DC's birthday?
Heck, I'm lucky to get a card on *my* birthday... but that's just me.
Thoughts?

bubbaray
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
Nope, never heard of it. Then again, I didn't get a "push present" either. And when I asked DH about it, he replied "Well, you didn't push, they cut them both out of you." Nice. Not.

Laurel
06-03-2008, 10:48 PM
*Putting on flame-proof suit*. Um, in our family the kids have two parents who are responsible for them. If DH gave me a gift on DC's birthday, I would frankly be insulted by the implication. It would feel like a "bonus" from the boss, YKWIM? I expect recognition on my birthday, anniversary, mother's day. DC's b-day is for celebrating DC.

And call me crazy, but I kind of feel the same about "push presents".

lilycat88
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I didn't even get flowers in the hospital from anyone...not even DH...we were there 5 days... I'm not bitter or anything. Seems strange that mom would get something on DCs birthday.

LarsMal
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I'm in the WTH? group! I'm pretty sure if I had mentioned something like this to DH he would have called me selfish! I agree with the pp who said it's about DC, not about me, and there are two of us- so would DH get a present, too?!

I did get push presents for both of my kids, but I feel like I deserved them! Nine months of hard work cookin' up babies and then all that work to get them out (okay, cut out the second time, but that hurts like H&LL!).

Oh, and Liz, if you're lucky to get a card on your b-day, just have your DH do what mine did over the weekend...

We were out at the grocery store on my birthday and DH was in the card aisle. I walked up to him and he said, "Okay, close your eyes. Here's the card DD would get you, and here's the card DS would get you. Okay, now put them back and we just saved 6 bucks!" NICE!!! JERK!!!

elliput
06-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I have heard of this practice, but it definitely does not happen in the company I keep.

kransden
06-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Was this from Mrs. Jones??? ;)

mom2binsd
06-04-2008, 12:38 AM
Never heard of this....then again when there was a thread awhile back about "push presents" I thought they meant...what kind of toys you could get a child that they pushed around"....had never heard of those either....both of these really seem like someone fishing for gift...or folks with lots of extra $ to spend, but that's just me.

veronica
06-04-2008, 06:30 AM
I never heard of a gift. But, I did hear that someone's DH gave mom a card on the 1st birthday and I thought it was really sweet. it was more along the lines of "look at where our life has come, thank you for sharing in the journey" type card-not "our child is 1, thanks for extracting him from your body so I have someone to play football with"

Happy 2B mommy
06-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I've never heard of this either and I agree that it seems selfish. DC's birthday is about the kiddo! I've never heard of 'push presents', either. I admit, I expected flowers from DH, who didn't get them, but honestly I hated lugging the 'extras' from the hospital so he's off the hook the 2nd time around.

About a week after we brought DD home, DH gave me a note, basically thanking me for giving birth to dd and telling me how much he loved both of us (I was on Lovenox and DH really couldn't handle watching me give myself shots and all the bruising) That was sweetest 'push present' I could imagine. Unfortunately, I left it out and DD spit up all over it and it really reeked and couldn't be saved.

brittone2
06-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I've heard of this, but it is something that I personally consider a bit over the top (JMO). DH didn't get me a "push present" either. He does however chip in a lot with the kids and household stuff, and I'll take that any day over a material possession in place of a less-involved dad/husband.

ShanaMama
06-04-2008, 11:36 AM
He does however chip in a lot with the kids and household stuff, and I'll take that any day over a material possession in place of a less-involved dad/husband.

:yeahthat: I never heard of a first birthday present & although I know many people who've gotten 'push presents' I didn't want one. I don't need a reward from DH! He has thanked me a couple of times lately for carrying our baby. That appreciation & acknowledgement felt great, especially when I've been feeling particularly yucky.

elizabethkott
06-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Was this from Mrs. Jones??? ;)

It WOULD be fitting, would it not?
But no, this was from another friend.
So glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking...
:)

HIU8
06-04-2008, 02:32 PM
When DS and DD were born DH got me a pendant with their birth stones inside which I wear on a necklace. Other than that, I have never heard of this practice. It seems silly to me actually. DD will be turning 1 on Monday and we are getting her a few gifts (and DS wants to get her a gift from him). It's her day, not mine.

mamicka
06-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I've never hear of this & I hate the "push presents". It just seems so... inappropriate. I understand that there are things in life that you celebrate, sometimes extravagantly, sometimes simply. But does every.single.thing as a mother warrant a reward? (I say mother because I don't hear about fathers getting these presents) I'm a mother. I was heavily involved in bringing our children into our lives. Want to get me something? Mother's day or my own birthday would be appropriate. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point mothers are getting "sleeping through the night presents", "tooth presents" for surviving bouts of teething pain, "tantrum presents" for surviving the terrible twos, the list could go on. At some point, it's almost insulting. Being a parent is hard & very important work. Let's not minimize that by a material possession, as if in payment.

Just my .02.

s_gosney
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I've never heard of it being widely done and I certainly didn't get anything from dh (add me to the no push present with a dh who doesn't get that idea group), but I did get a small gift for one of my friends when her dd turned one. It was nothing big, I think some chocolate, a magazine, and maybe a CD....basically a happy mamiversary/congrats on getting through the first year. She was totally surprised and really appreciated the thought, but I've never heard of it being a widespread "practice." I definitely think it's odd to expect a gift...

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds 05/08

kijip
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
There is no way I would feel right about getting a present from my husband on my son's birthday. Materialism is one factor against it and the other is the idea that I am supposed to be compensated/paid for something that is both of our jobs. I'm with Beth- I'll take my husband doing the laundry, washing the dishes, playing everyday with T, dealing with tantrums and diapers etc, in general being a DAD over a pair of earrings or a necklace any day of the week. Also, isn't there MOTHER'S DAY?

mdb78
06-04-2008, 03:14 PM
I did.. well, thats because dd birthday falls around mother's day and this year we celebrated her 1st birthday on mother's day and i got a few gifts (and so did the other mothers in the party). Aside from that, I never heard of a parent getting a gift on a childs birthday.