PDA

View Full Version : 4YO birthday party planning HELP needed!

cleo27
06-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Hello,

I think I could search this forum all night and not find what I am looking for...

We are having a party for DD's 4th b-day this weekend and having about 8 kids, ages 2 - 5 (and my 9 yr old nephew). We don't really have a theme, just having everyone over at our house. I would like to have an activity or craft but am having a hard time deciding. I vaguely remember previous posts about decorating pails, but I have been unable to find them. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well. I don't know what we will do with the kids for 2 hours!

Also, I think I will put together little favor bags for the younger kids with play-doh, bubbles, goldfish or fruit snacks, stickers, chalk or crayons, etc. Any ideas for the 9 year old?? I don't want him to feel totally out of place. I have a feeling he might end up playing DHs video games, lol.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!!! I am so not a good party planner. Hopefully DD won't notice or care!

octmom
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM
You might try searching for "bubble party". I remember a post with pics here a year or two ago about a great party with a bubble theme. You can get a cheap bubble machine that your DS will play with all summer, have containers of bubbles out for everyone, and even do something like put homemade bubble solution in a kiddy pool or large container, along with several large bubble wands. I think you can often find the really big wands at dollar stores. The older kids might like to make the really big bubbles and the younger kids will love a bubble machine. HTH!

ETA: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235267&highlight=bubble+party

cleo27
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks - that is a really cute idea!

Any other ideas out there? I just want everyone to have a good time, but I am getting so stressed about it!

MMMommy
06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I saw an assortment of inexpensive plastic sand pails/buckets at Diddams. They had a variety of colors and styles.

Wife_and_mommy
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
I get stressed out too. ;)

Believe that the fun things you're planning will be enjoyed esp. considering how much thought you're putting into activities for each age group. They'll love it!

More ideas are sidewalk chalk(for all ages), sand play, or water play via a sprinkler.

2 hours isn't long at all. The kids could probably free play for that long and have a blast.:)

Have fun!

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I agree with the pp...2 hours isn't all that long especially if you do things like cake and presents at it- that will take up about 30 minutes of the party. Almost all of our parties have just been like playdates with the above mentioned b-day activities and starting at age 4 we added 1-2 activities.

I bought a bunch of buckets last year for my party favors and found them for $1 at Toys R Us.

Water balloon toss? Decorate your own cupcake? Freeze dance? Scavenger hunt? We played a version of "hot potato" called "pass the parcel" (I think) where everyone passed this parcel around and when the music stopped the guest holding it could unwrap a layer and there would be a small prize inside. That was a hit for the kids (age 2-7).

Family Fun magazine and website has been a great resource for me. I have also checked out many b-day party planning books from the library.
http://familyfun.go.com/parties/

B-day parties are always fun! Enjoy!! :) Oh, and as a mom whose kids' dentist put the great fear into her about the teeth rotting potential of raisins and fruit snacks might I throw out a request to go the goldfish route? :)

Beth

cleo27
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your advice. I don't know what I would do without these boards and all the helpful mamas here!! I was seriously jones-ing when the boards were down a few days ago.

bubbaray
06-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Last year for DD#1's 3rd b-day, I did a "green" loot bag: small watering can, packet of seeds, small pot, garden pinwheel. I can't remember the food part, probably goldfish. I had a coloring station set up for that b-day, but many kids skipped it. The entertainment was a magician/clown lady. Each kid got a special balloon from the entertainer. Two hours flew by. No one had time to be bored!

For her 2nd b-day, we did sand pails and that was also the craft as the kids decorated & personalized them. Most of the kids were too young for that craft -- the parents ended up doing them.

This year for DD#1's 4th b-day I did playdoh, playdoh mats, bubbles and sidewalk chalk, along with some fruit chews. I was really limited on the food treat due to allergies of the attending kids. This year her party was off-site at a local YMCA, with a gym activity and huge bouncy castle. There was no craft. 2 hours flew by.

So far, I think the green loot bag was my favorite.

cleo27
06-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Last year for DD#1's 3rd b-day, I did a "green" loot bag: small watering can, packet of seeds, small pot, garden pinwheel. I can't remember the food part, probably goldfish. I had a coloring station set up for that b-day, but many kids skipped it. The entertainment was a magician/clown lady. Each kid got a special balloon from the entertainer. Two hours flew by. No one had time to be bored!

For her 2nd b-day, we did sand pails and that was also the craft as the kids decorated & personalized them. Most of the kids were too young for that craft -- the parents ended up doing them.

This year for DD#1's 4th b-day I did playdoh, playdoh mats, bubbles and sidewalk chalk, along with some fruit chews. I was really limited on the food treat due to allergies of the attending kids. This year her party was off-site at a local YMCA, with a gym activity and huge bouncy castle. There was no craft. 2 hours flew by.

So far, I think the green loot bag was my favorite.

I LOVE the idea of the green/ garden loot bag!! Unfortunately I already went to Target and got stuff tonight. I will have to remember this for next year - such an excellent loot bag idea!

And just so you know (Snugglebuggles :) ), I went with the goldfish and skipped the fruit snacks on your recommendation! :)

Thanks again!! I will not be stressed out, I will not be stressed out, I will not be stressed out......

Jen841
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
We did a bubble party. I bought just about any bubble toy I found and had them all over the backyard. Even the adults were doing them. It was so much fun!

What about decorating foam visors? The foam sticker things are priceless for ease and the kids all seem to love them. We decorated swords with them at our pirate party last weekend. Adults could decorate kozy's for their canned beverages... I made adults do that on vacation a few years ago for use that week. It was a riot!

I agree with checking FamilyFun.com.