PDA

View Full Version : So now that Obama is the nominee........

maestramommy
06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
How likely do you think it is that he will pick Clinton as his running mate? I hope he doesn't, and I didn't think he would, but I just read an article saying that he's getting a lot of pressure from within the party to do just that. Ugh!

I just think Clinton's rhetoric clashes with his, she's too divisive of a figure, and between the two of them, there'd be too much for the Republicans to work with for bashing.

kedss
06-04-2008, 01:19 PM
I think Obama's biggest problem would be with Bill.

If Obama is elected, maybe she would be a first choice for a seat on the Supreme Court?

kijip
06-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't think it is going to happen, especially with her not conceeding now that he has reached the number of delegates required to clinch the nomination. The MI and FL delegate issue is resolved, the superdelegates have split for Obama and she has NO viable path to the nomination. If she wanted to be VP, she would have conceeded. I don't think it will happen. I think she will stay in the Senate.

KBecks
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
She would be awful for the supreme court. There have got to be better, more qualified people out there for that.

I have no idea if she will be VP. It would be strange, but if they feel it's necessary to get her supporters on board, I could see it happening.

icunurse
06-04-2008, 01:40 PM
On paper, she looks good as a VP candidate - she attracts the voters that Obama doesn't and has strengths to complement areas where he isn't as trong. But I think her behaviors and tactics as of late might have killed her chance at VP.

LarsMal
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
What I gathered, after watching about 4 straight hours of coverage with DH last night (YAWN!) is that she wants him to ask her, but will decline, with a stipulation that he doesn't ask another woman to be VP. I haven't read anything today, though, and that was based on a lot of speculation.

As DH put it, if that's true and she says she'll only concede if those things happen, she is just proving that she's not doing this for "women", she's doing it all for herself. She wants to be THE one, not any woman. I agree with him to an extent.

I'm torn b/c I think her being on the ticket would help keep her 18 million voters in the right place, but I don't think it would be a good idea for her to be on the ticket with him. I just don't think they'd be on the same page, and I could see a lot of jockeying for position of who's really in charge. Plus, I'm not sure a lot of voters are ready for such an historic ticket.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. She needs to throw in the towel, though, seriously...

brittone2
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Personally, I think last night she crossed the line big time in her conduct. If I were Obama, I certainly would have felt compelled to cross her name off of his short list after that performance.

I agree w/ the PPs. I think she could bring a lot to the VP office, but at the same time, it seems there could be a lot of head clashing, a desire to possibly undermine Obama's success (intentionally or unintentionally), and then there's Bill. I think she'd be great in a Health and Human services type of roll, but I'm not sure that would satisfy her.

I have a hunch the Obama campaign will pick someone from a potential swing state, as many pundits are suggesting this is a possibility.

I have trouble seeing Obama and Hillary working together, particularly with Bill's influence in the mix.

kijip
06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Personally, I think last night she crossed the line big time in her conduct. If I were Obama, I certainly would have felt compelled to cross her name off of his short list after that performance.

Agreed. Nothing is worse than a sore loser. It was close, but she lost. If she cares 1/10 about the party and Dems winning in November as she claims, she would have conceeded last night. There is no road for her to get the nomination and she needs to accept that. I was flabbergasted with her speech last night. It sounded like a concession right up till...it wasn't.

LarsMal
06-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Agreed. Nothing is worse than a sore loser. It was close, but she lost. If she cares 1/10 about the party and Dems winning in November as she claims, she would have conceeded last night. There is no road for her to get the nomination and she needs to accept that. I was flabbergasted with her speech last night. It sounded like a concession right up till...it wasn't.

I agree, too!

I knew it wasn't going to be a concession, though, considering her introduction included the sentence, "Are you ready for the next president of the United States?!" (or something like that)

Not to mention she had everyone underground with no cell phone or monitor access so they wouldn't know Obama had actually officially gotten the count! And then to congratulate him on the race he's "run" not "won". Sore loser is right!

s_gosney
06-04-2008, 02:35 PM
And did you catch her speech today at the AIPAC (or something like that)? She was hinting at Obama being a good friend to Israel and him as the nominee, but it was like it truly pained her to even hint at it, much less acknolwedge the reality directly. The last few weeks I've been having a much harder time buying the whole true allegiance to the party bit. It's really become all about the Clinton dynasty it seems.

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds 05/08

Laurel
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I hate thinking this, but I am really starting to believe that she is hoping to run again next time and wants to keep Obama weak so that McCain will win. Selfish!

Also, I'm sappy, but thought this was such a cool moment:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/ceciliedove/Obamas.jpg

ellies mom
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I hate thinking this, but I am really starting to believe that she is hoping to run again next time and wants to keep Obama weak so that McCain will win. Selfish!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/ceciliedove/Obamas.jpg

Well, some of her supporters definitely feel that way.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/president/19416774.html?location_refer=Outdoors

And sappy or not that is a cool moment,

StantonHyde
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1. As much as I loved Bill Clinton's politics, it was always all about Bill, not about the party. And it has always been about Hillary--even if that was not good for others.

2. I am 43 yo--Title 9 was not enacted until I was 11. So, yes, I saw some of what the baby boomer women saw as far as discrimination. That does not mean I am going to vote for a woman just because she is a woman.

3. If you had a female candidate who was experienced, smart etc (e.g. Hillary's resume), I would vote for that candidate. I did not vote for Hillary because she can NOT win the general election. The Hillary Haters would come out in droves--and they are passionate.

4. After 8 years of what we have been through, I don't care who the Dems run as long as he/she/it can WIN the general election. I am so SICK of Dems doing the RIGHT thing vs. the EFFECTIVE thing. Sorry, but that is politics and you have to play the game the right way or you don't win. And I want the Dems to win.

As an afterthought--Michelle Obama would make an AWESOME First Lady.

s_gosney
06-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Incredible. I'm starting to wonder too. I've seen some pundits saying though that she must be very careful to not be seen as the reason that the dems lose in 08 if she wants a chance in 2012. I think she's awfully close to crossing that line.
And I noticed that little moment too! Definitely cool...maybe sappy moments like that are his plan to bring in some of the female vote? ;)

Sherri
dd 10/03
ds 05/08

brittone2
06-04-2008, 03:11 PM

DH shares this thought.

Last night made it absolutely crystal clear to me that she is in it for *her*...not the country, not the party, but for their dynasty. I had mixed feelings along those lines previously, but last night's speech made my jaw drop.

One of the CNN commentators mentioned there were rumblings that Bill may be given a position as a campaign manager (I don't think those rumors are all that serious, thankfully)...I could totally see him deliberately undermining Obama's campaign :(

Bill has just astounded me. I wasn't strongly opinionated about him before all of this began, but his behavior on the campaign trail has greatly saddened me.

citymama
06-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I wish HRC would just go away. Seeing just how sore a loser she is makes me even more glad that Obama is the Democratic nominee - and sure that he's the right pick. Please don't pick her as VP, Barack! (I don't think he will.)

So....now that Obama is the nominee, here's what I think: unless the R's are able to fuel another major controversy a la Rev Wright, I think Barack Obama will be the next President of the United States. :yay:

maestramommy
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I am really confused. If her behavior was that terrible last night (I didn't hear the speech, and I've only read a few quotes, something like "I'm not making any decisions.") Why would the Dems pressure Obama to pick her? Throughout the race I really respected the way she hung in there, even though I'm not a supporter. I felt like she had every right to run as long as she wanted. I also felt like she would never accept being 2nd banana. So now that she's saying she'd consider VP if it kept the party unified just totally makes me roll the eyes.

ThreeofUs
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm betting he'll go for a governor, to balance the ticket. I like Clinton quite a bit, but I don't think Obama will pick her for VP.

randomkid
06-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Can someone fill me in? What did she do? I've been horribly sick and went to bed last night without watching any TV, reading the news, etc. I work in a hospital, so the only thing I saw today was Obama giving a speech and the sound was off (I was in a patient's room).

jd11365
06-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I think it would be hypocritical if he chose Hillary. His whole campaign has been about change. All I can see are those blue signs around him with CHANGE on them in big letters, and his own name in little tiny letters, only for him to go with Clinton? Nope. I doubt that will happen.

SAHMIL
06-05-2008, 12:56 AM
The ladies on "The View' today couldn't even see Obama picking her for VP and I agree with them and how they all said that she is too powerful to settle for VP. I think it would be wise for Obama to offer her a cabinet position. She would be an awesome Secretary of Health and Human Services, which would be a great position for her b/c she is so passionate about health care. She could be a distinguised Senator or Cabinet member if she chooses to be.

She and Bill are too powerful for a VP position and they wouldn't be happy with second in command.

Whoopi mentioned that she was really disappointed in HRC yesterday. I am too. She could have exited with dignity, but didn't.