PDA

View Full Version : Which pacifier do you love?

luv2bmommy
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm having a hard time deciding which paci is the most 'natural' for baby? Any thoughts?

JBaxter
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Is your baby here yet? You may not GET to decide. Its more like which one if any will the baby take. You may go through 5 or 6 before finding one the baby likes Ive had 2 that wouldnt take any ever.

LarsMal
06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Is your baby here yet? You may not GET to decide. Its more like which one if any will the baby take. You may go through 5 or 6 before finding one the baby likes Ive had 2 that wouldnt take any ever.

:yeahthat:

That said, I was once told by a playgroup mom whose FIL is a dentist that the NUK should be the only paci to touch a child's lips (if one is necessary). Luckily both of my kids took to the NUK, but DD didn't like it right away. I went back and forth between the Avent and the NUK before she finally decided to stick with the NUK.

Now...if I could just get them away from my kiddos!!!

luv2bmommy
06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
I definitely agree the paci will be one of the baby's choices; I also would rather never introduce one, but just as a back-up when nothing else works, or in public... I also used the NUK ones when I worked in the hospital, but not sure between them and the orthodontic ones!!!

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Nuk is what we used with ds2. I went with the silicone ones. Ds1 didn't take one at all.

Beth

amandabea
06-04-2008, 02:30 PM
We weren't planning on using pacis, but bought the Nuk silicone ones to have on hand at the recommendation of our pediatrician. She and the dentist said to avoid other types/brands. Never asked why as that was good enough for me and our DD ended up using them...still does at 16 mos.

mamaoftwins
06-04-2008, 02:51 PM
We started with Gerber Nuk Orthodontic Silicone, then went to Mam orthodontic pacis, which we loved. The boys kept getting their hands caught in the ring on the Nuk pacis and would pull it out of their mouths. Mam has a plug on the end to grab, instead of a ring.

We introduced pacis at abt 2wks b/c Baby B was a sucker, would eat and eat and eat, then spit-up and want to suck again. So we gave them pacis b/c they obviously just wanted to suck more than being hungry.

We took the pacis away cold turkey at 5.5months. That night was bad - they cried a lot, but next day, they seemed to have forgotten about them. Yay! Now they suck their fingers on occasion, and now that they're teething, they always seem to have a hand or two in their mouths, as well as any other object in the vicinity.

(They were both laying on the floor next to each other the other day, and I stepped out to get the phone, came back 30sec later, and Baby B had Baby A's thumb in his mouth and was sucking away, as Baby A was giggling. Super cute. I ran to get the camera, but they stopped when I got back.)

egoldber
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Amy uses the Soothie paci. Its the one she got in the NICU and the only one she would ever take. I actually like that its all one piece and all silicone. Many pacis have some pthalates in the hard plastic that holds the nipple (or whatever its called on a paci....)

WatchingThemGrow
06-04-2008, 03:07 PM
DD had problems BFing and was referred to a speech pathologist who specializes in BF'ed infants to develop a better suck (she'll never hear about THAT when she grows up!) She recommended the Soothie brand, and said that it puts the tongue in the correct spot for BFing. The orthodontic ones push the tongue back and to the roof. I know kids who've sucked on whatever and been fine nursers, though. They worked well for us, though.

scoop22
06-04-2008, 04:06 PM
we started both boys with nuk. ds1 refused a paci. we are still working with ds2.. we are using the soothie paci. he is liking it more. like a pp they will help you decide.

daniele_ut
06-04-2008, 05:36 PM
DS used a Soothie in the NICU and then wouldn't take one much at all until he was 5 months old and then took a Mam from then on.

With dd I had to try 4 different kinds before she settled on a Nuk, but I keep hoping she'll eventually take a Mam for the same reason the pp mentioned. She keeps hooking her fingers in the loop on the Nuk and pulling it out.