PDA

View Full Version : Did you throw a party for your DC when they turned 1?

HIU8
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
DD turns one on Monday. We were going to have a party for her with friends from the neighborhood and other friends plus family. The party was going to be outside so all the kids could just play and we were going to have just cake and ice cream. Also, this was going to be a "no gifts" party. We decided not to do it though, b/c we are going away a few days after the party and need to have the time to get ready. Plus, it means about 20 adults and 20 children. We have no patio furniture (it got ruined over the winter) and we cannot afford new right now. We have chairs and folding tables for the adults, but nothing for the children to sit on their size. I feel bad b/c another little girl on the street just turned one and we were invited there for pizza and cake (also no gifts). We went and had a great time. I really wanted to have something for DD and reciprocate the invite to the neighborhood. I think we may do a combined birthday, July 4th get together. It will be almost a month after DD turns one though.

ellies mom
06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Yeah, but it was mostly an adult thing because not many of our friends at the time had kids and our families aren't nearby.

Piglet
06-04-2008, 02:53 PM
We had a party for DS1 when he turned 1. He slept through it. We didn't have a party for DS2 or DD. Heck, by the time DD was 1, I didn't even giver her her gifts on her birthday. She was cranky and ready for bed. She got them the following morning. To add insult to injury, the only pictures I have of her and her presents, she is wearing DS2' PJs and looks like a boy. I know that people love to throw 1st birthday parties, but I am not a fan. The kids don't know the difference and it is stressful for the parents. Sure, you might chalk it up to subsequent kids getting "ripped off", but I chalk it up to wisened parents realizing that birthday parties at young ages are not really required.

LarsMal
06-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I think a combined party later would be fine. Or even just singing Happy Birthday to her at a later date. She won't know the difference- either way!

For DS's 1st birthday we combined his party with my grandfather's b/c their b-days are close. My grandfather was very excited to do that (we did it for his 2nd b-day, too, and probably will again this year). Nothing fancy, just a family get-together and we sing to both of them. On DS's actual birthday we had his one buddy over with her family for dinner and cupcakes.

My grandmother lucked out and DD was born around her b-day so she gets the same treatment DS and my grandfather do. Combined party/sing happy birthday on her 1st b-day and had a close friend over for dinner/cupcakes on her actual birthday. No big celebration though.

hez
06-04-2008, 02:56 PM
We did-- it was family, friends from church, and a few friends from work/college. The kids who came were there because their families were invited. In fact, every birthday party so far for DS has been this way, and he enjoys them because all of the adults are 'his' friends, too.

I expect that we'll do the same for DD, especially since DS is old enough now to have parties for kids his age vs. the family/friends style we've been doing.

I think you'll be fine doing a combined party for the 4th. The decorations will be easy :)

bubbaray
06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes, we had 1st b-day parties for both DDs. For DD#1, my DH got ahold of the invites and we ended up with over 100 people! It was INSANE and embarassing b/c EVERY SINGLE PERSON brought at least one gift. I went back to WOTH shortly thereafter and never did get written thankyous done. It was embarassing.

With DD#2, *I* controlled the guest list. We had FIL/SMIL, our closest friends (who are also the girls' guardians upon our death) and three friends/families with little kids. That's it. I served veggie & fruit trays and cake.

Personally, I would have a party, but keep it small. I mean, its her b-day, even if she won't remember it. People won't care about your patio furniture or lack thereof. And, don't worry, the kids don't need chairs. They likely will just race around anyway!

I've never found the no gifts thing successful. Inevitably, some people bring a gift anyway and then the people who respected your wishes feel bad.

CiderLogan
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
We do family-only 1st birthday parties. I get the fun of picking cute outfits for the girls and decorating, our family gets a chance to celebrate the child, and no extra people are dragged into getting gifts (since family would buy gifts regardless). These parties can still get large because I invite grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc., but they've been fun. (Then we do a big party with friends at home for the 2nd b'day, when the kids understand what's going on more.) I probably wouldn't do the combined July 4th/bday party, since it's so far after her birthday.

brittone2
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Yes, and it was the only "big" party we've had for DS (when I ask him what kind of party he wants he usually just says our immediate family and his grandparents).

We did brunch foods (make ahead/overnight french toast and strata, just had to pop in the oven that day, and fruit, some interesting/fancier juices from Trader Joe's, etc.)

It was mostly adults in our case as we were some of the first of our friends to have kids.

SammyeGail
06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
When our twins turned one we had cake and bought nice deli meat/cheese/breads since it was around 2PM. Their B'day is 11/20 but we had the party in early Nov because my MIL was visiting. We thought we had some kids coming (2-3) but it was all adults, about 20 or so of us. (Friends, we didn't live in a neighborhood).

Do you know the mom of the other little girl well enough to ask to borrow the seating she used for the children? That might solve your seating problem.

I see no problem with not having the B'day party on the exact weekend thats closest to the actual birthday, but I would try to plan something just for her, instead of combining it with a 4th of July party. That way she'll have her own pics, etc of her 1st b'day for later in life.

Whatever you choose, I hope you all have a blast!!

Samantha

StantonHyde
06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Absolutely!! It is a celebration for you more than the kid, but hey I needed one! I have always just done grandparents, aunt/uncle, cousins. Then I added DS's best friend and family when he turned 3. I just do pizza and cake and let them run wild. For DD, I am inviting 2 of her friends from day care and saying no gifts.

Borrow chairs from the neighborhood if you need too. And doing it the 4th will be fine. Heck, my poor DD has not had a party on her actual birthday yet!! It is always a week or 2 later. She doesn't mind.

mdb78
06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes. Originally it was going to be a carnival theme party, but some things happened the weeks before the party that when it came time to concentrate on the party, I just didn't have it in me... We end up just having the close family. It came out to be about 20 people. We put up a few streamers and we made our own banner. For the food, we just ordered a few different things and I made the cake and dd cupcakes.

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Yep, and like Melissa it turned into a gigantic affair. It was quite a bit of fun but ds started to get tired midway through and was a bit overwhelmed when it came time to sing HB to him.

For ds2 we will be keeping things smaller and simpler but still plan to do something.

Beth

kijip
06-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Yes! But I think a late party is fine if that is what works for your family!

sidmand
06-04-2008, 05:19 PM
I think having the party combined with July 4th is absolutely fine!

Yes, we had a 1st b-day, but it is mostly for the adults, but still, it's nice to do. I know people that rented out a music place for their kids' first birthday and maybe that's what they do in their social circle, but here we just have everyone over and it's pretty low-key.

I think we just did the family. If we did friends too, we combined it with our playgroup...I think that's what we did for his second birthday. That's what everyone did. We had our typical Friday playgroup (just kids, moms, playing) and then had some cake/ice cream and lunch. It was really nice.

And then we have a family one. For his 1st birthday, people did buy presents. For his second birthday we asked for no gifts and it didn't work out so well though.

ThreeofUs
06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
We had a blast of a party for DS when he turned one. We only had three other kids over (that he was comfortable with), and only for an hour, but it was fun and made it into a real celebration that DS understood and participated in.

Now, turning 2 was a HUGE party with 12 kids and a ball pit - that was an entirely different kind of fun!

Corie
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
No. We didn't have a 1st birthday party for either child. My son didn't
get a 2nd birthday party either.