PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for thank-you gift (something that I can travel with)

CiderLogan
06-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I am flying to DC to give a presentation for my part-time work-at-home job, and I'm staying with my boss instead of at the conference hotel (because she offered....so I accepted both to be polite and because ultimately it's the job, not me, who'd be paying for the hotel, so I felt I should defer to her on it). I consider it sort of a favor that she's having me go at all, because they are flying me up there to do something that benefits me career-wise...so it sort of helps me more than it helps them, kwim?

Anyway, I want to take her a thank-you gift, but it needs to be something small, that I'm allowed to carry on a plane in just my carry-on bag or my one piece of luggage (which I'm not planning to check) (so no wine, etc.). She has two tween kids - I guess something for the whole family would be ideal but not necessary. Any ideas?

TIA!!!!

ha98ed14
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
If it was me, I would just go to the conference and then when you get home, or even maybe the day before you leave, go on line to Harry and David (or some place similar) and have a food basket delivered to her house and have it arrive after you leave. I think this is both tasteful and appropriate. Her family can remember you fondly. Have fun on your trip :)

SAHMIL
06-05-2008, 12:39 AM
I would bring something that is a local favorite. Like is there a local chocolate shop that is a favorite of yours? Or something unique to your area.

I'm in the Chicagoland area and I usually bring a box of Fannie May chocolates or Marshall field's Frango Mints wherever I go.

ThreeofUs
06-05-2008, 12:40 AM
Take chocolates, if you want a hostess gift, as in a small box of truffles.

If you want a thank you gift, I think the food/fruit/popcorn/whatever basket delivered after - and after you've had a chance to scope out her preferences - would be very nice.

CiderLogan
06-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks!!! I decided to go with a cookbook from a local restaurant. This way I don't have to travel in the heat with food! I loved the idea of sending a food basket afterwards, but since I waited till the last minute, it would be too long until it arrived (thus the tag would basically have to read 'thanks for letting me stay with you two weeks ago' which seemed lame). Next time I'll plan ahead! :)