PDA

View Full Version : Bus Riders: A ?, please!

Wife_and_mommy
06-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I know it probably depends but any idea on whether or not city buses allow *open* strollers inside? Or must they be closed.

I'm getting a wild hair to have a field trip tomorrow and wonder what I'm getting myself into re: the stroller situation. I have a mind to take the double but not if I'll have to carry it around while I shepherd two kiddos!

Anyway, thanks for any insight!

SnuggleBuggles
06-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Where I live the stroller must be closed on public transportation.

Beth

Wife_and_mommy
06-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Argh. I was afraid of that. My DD is a great walker but I feel bad not giving her the option of sitting/resting. The 2yo is definitely not walking.:ROTFLMAO:

Thanks for the answer!

s7714
06-05-2008, 12:14 AM
All the public bus systems I've ever traveled on have required the strollers be closed up.

MontrealMum
06-05-2008, 03:02 AM
I'lll admit, I've never seen a double on the bus or metro, but I've seen plenty of singles - and every type - large joggers, and small umbrellas. Certainly it's allowed, but the other passengers aren't always courteous about it (moving out of posted areas, giving up seats etc)...our busses have special places for strollers and wheelchairs, as well as older people, pregnant women, or people with canes/crutches. It's well posted, but people in Mtl. can be quite rude.

I've even been on the bus where the driver (or other passenger) has gotten off to help a mom on and off with a stroller, or lowered the wheelchair-adapted bus (we have a few on off-peak hours) to allow a stroller on. So, it's definitely allowed...sometimes people are very helpful, sometimes very much not.

mamabelle
06-05-2008, 06:38 AM
In nyc strollers must be closed. I take the bus daily with 2 kids and have never managed a double on the bus. I would bring a single and guess your older child will proably want to walk with her firends.

Wife_and_mommy
06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the replies, ladies.

I ended up taking the Zippy so it would hold the backpack. It worked well and was easy enough to roll around while folded. Didn't really need the double since DD was able to hang fine.

I did this as a field trip, nothing more. Had only ridden mass transit once before many years ago. Yes, I'm a suburbanite. ;)

Anyway, the kids and I had a blast. We did one transfer and went to a mall where we played, shopped, and had lunch. Not spending $ on a couple gallons of gas was a major bonus. We'll definitely do it again. I got a big bang for the 3 bucks I spent.:D

mamabelle
06-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I posted above about taking the bus daily. My kids love it and it is their preferred mode of motorized transportation. There is usually someone friendly who chats with them, the view is very good from a bus so there are a lot of interesting things to see. Except during rush hour it is actually a great activity with kids.

Glad you had a nice day.