PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket - what should I do?

Drag0nflygirl
06-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I got pulled over last week doing 53 in a 35. Of course dd was in the back and I got scolded for speeding with a toddler :rolleye0014:
I haven't had one in 12 years. The cop said if I plead not guilty and went to court he'd at least drop the speed so I wouldn't have the points - but I'd rather just pay and be done with it.
So, will one speeding ticket raise my insurance rates?

StantonHyde
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I have terrible luck with speeding tickets--I get caught at least once a year. (ok, so if I didn't speed I wouldn't get caught...) In our city, you can plead guilty, pay $30 and go to traffice school for one or 2 hours and the points don't go on your drivers license or insurance or something. I go every year :loveeyes: Go, because if you ever get in a big accident (God forbid) then you don't have something else on your record.

cmo
06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Your insurance company would not necessarily know about points on your record. They have no reason to look at your driving record at this time. However, if you were to be in an accident before the points dropped off your record (the number of years varies by state and offense), they would then have a reason to check, and not only would your rates be affected by the accident, but also by the speeding ticket and related points from the past.

If you can get no points, it may be worth the effort!

BillK
06-05-2008, 04:28 PM
The above poster is correct - unless you give your insurer a valid reason to check your MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) - for the most part they're not going to (they have to pay for MVR's in most states).

Some things that will trigger and MVR check are an accident (as posted above), adding a car, adding a driver, moving and changing your address, buying an Umbrella policy, getting a cancellation notice and having to get a policy reinstated if it's lapsed. Normally just trading in and replacing a car won't trigger an MVR being run though. Just don't give your insurer a reason to check (see below for exceptions) and they'll most likely never know.

There ARE exceptions to that rule - I think you're going to find most of the "online" and 800 number insurance companies like Progressive, Geico and others will do a check at almost every renewal - and will increase your rates based on what's on that report - assuming there's been more than just 1 minor speeding ticket.

Most companies don't even raise your rates based on a speeding ticket though. Unless you have a laundry list on your MVR - a simple speeding ticket (so long as it's not excessive like 75 in a 35 or something nutty) isn't going to have any affect whatsoever on your insurance.

Also - please keep in mind that points have nothing to do with what shows up on your MVR. I can't tell you how many times someone's told me they had nothing on their record only to have a ticket show up that's 2 years old. Just because points fall off over time - does not mean the violation does. Violations stay on your record for 5 years (most insurers only care about the prior 3 though) - so even if your "points" have fallen off - it doesn't necessarily mean the actual violation has.

Now - if you were switch insurers it could affect you.

lowrioh
06-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I would go to court. If the traffic cop doesn't show up in court then the ticket is automatically dropped.

When we went to traffic court, if you didn't have any points on your license and the violation wasn't too major, the judge reduced the fine significantly and didn't give any points.

Your insurance company might not know about your points but if you want to change your policy in the next few years it might catch up with you. Also, if you can get the points dropped and you get pulled over in the future, the officer may have more sympathy and give you a smaller fine or let you off with a warning.

carolinamama
06-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Funny you should ask - I just got back from traffic court this afternoon! I have had a few tickets in the last 10 years and I have never just paid it. There are several ways for you to deal with this ticket also depending on what the da's in your area offer. You can go to court and ask them to reduce it to 9 over the speed limit and then you don't get points. You pay the ticket and court costs and spend some of your time in court. Or you hire an attorney to do the dirty work for you. You pay the ticket/court costs and a fee to the attorney but you never step foot in the courtroom. I've done both of those options.

Currently, I requested a continuance, will do the driving school class thing (on-line) and then have it reduced to improper equipment to avoid the points. All this because I had a ticket last year on my record. That said, I will never do it this way again. I will always hire an attorney because I have spent too much time and gas money already and I still have to go back next month to present my completion certificate and go before the judge. Not worth it in my opinion. But not worth having the points on my record either.

In my opinion, it is worth it to get it reduced one way or the other.

KBecks
06-05-2008, 04:46 PM
It will probably raise your rates, yes, but I'd suck it up and pay it.

And slow down! :)

chlobo
06-05-2008, 04:58 PM
In Mass. they have safe driver credit based on points. If you get points it reduces the benefit of the safe driver credit. At least that was the way it was before they deregulated insurance.

ThreeofUs
06-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Fight it - you really can't lose if you do. Think about it.

-If you DON'T fight it, you'll have points on your license and a fine to pay.
-If you DO appear in court, at worst you'll have the points removed and have to pay court costs on a misdemeanor charge.

My insurance agents (in MD, CA, IL, and OH) pulled DL reports every few years on the folks they insured. If/when your insurance finds out about the points - and I'm guessing it's more than just a couple b/c of the speed difference - you will pay FOREVER. If you fight it, you won't.

ETA: Also, not having points on your license (as a pp pointed out) is much better for you next time you have dealings with a traffic cop, whether from an accident or just another speeding ticket.

Simple economics say that not having points is better than having points.

Twoboos
06-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Ugh, I also did traffic court this morning, for 45 in a 30. The magistrate said she would drop the ticket from $150 to $100, or I could appeal to a judge at a later date. I am appealling next month. I do not want the points, as DH got into an accident recently and I'm sure with these 2 things our insurance will go through the roof!

I think she should have dropped it out of pity for me, since I had to BRING MY DD's!!!!!! (Thank you DH, for saying you would watch them and backing out last night.) Actually, they were pretty good. Most of the people waiting were amused by their antics in the waiting area. Their favorite "toy" was the water fountain.

So, obviously I would say fight it. Yes it's a PITA but could be worth it. Nothing to lose. (If they didn't double my fine for bringing my DD's, you should be fine. :))

ETA: When I told the magistrate I would appeal, she said I might as well take a shot. So if those in "the system" are saying to appeal, seems like it can't hurt!

niccig
06-05-2008, 05:41 PM
I've only had one in the past few years, and I paid it. Doing 35 on my 25 street - I was just 2 blocks away from my home. I know better especially as 2 months earlier the crossing guard at the local school got hit. I was in the wrong, so I sucked it up and paid it. I'm not sure if my insurance went up, but if it did, then that's part of the consequence isn't it?.

Drag0nflygirl
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone! I expected a few replies but not that many. I probably will do the court thing...I just hate having to deal with it.

kransden
06-06-2008, 10:36 AM
When I lived in St. Louis, the standard practice was to hire a traffic attorney. There were lots of speed traps. You paid the lawyer by credit card over the phone and faxed them your ticket. Your charged was reduced to something silly and that was the end of it. It was easy, and no effort on your part. It was worth it to me from the time/money standpoint. So you may want to consider that option.

doberbrat
06-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Having had licenses in 3 states and speeding tickets in at least 6, I can tell you it varies greatly by state.

In my current state, your ins will automatically increase for the next 6 SIX YEARS. And not just by a little. So in addition to the 300 fine for speeding, I get socked a few hundred extra per year for 6 years in ins costs.

In one previous state, you can go to traffic school for 3ish hours and ins is not affected.

And then there’s everything in between. I ALWAYS take it to court.

I’ve only gotten it kicked twice, but the rest they generally knock the fine down to $100 which is a big savings.