PDA

View Full Version : I am soooo f**ing tired of Severe Weather!!

gatorsmom
06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
I just needed to say this. 10 days ago a suburb near us had a tornado rip through it which killed a 2 yo boy and his 4yo sister. The parents just didn't get to the basement in time. 7 days later we get another tornado warning and end up in the basement. 3 days later, tonight, we get a tornado watch until 5am. All 6 of us sleep on the 3rd floor of our house. Imagine how easy it is to get both babies, a 2 and 4 yo down to the basement really quickly in the middle of the night in case this turns into a Tornado warning? Imagine how easy it is to hear a weather siren when the white noise machine is playing over the baby monitor, and the air conditioner is on?

Guess how much sleep I"m going to get tonight? I hate being afraid.

heatherlynn
06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you're going through this. I am absolutely terrified of thunderstorms, and the tornado watches when we lived in PA turned me into a total mess. I hope this all ends soon. Take care of yourselves! (((Hugs)))

bubbaray
06-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Many hugs!

And here I am complaining about June-uary. It was 10C here today and that is what a typical January day is for us (north of Seattle). But, man, yeah, I can't complain when people are dying because of weather.

Stay safe.

cimberdog
06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I just needed to say this. 10 days ago a suburb near us had a tornado rip through it which killed a 2 yo boy and his 4yo sister. The parents just didn't get to the basement in time. 7 days later we get another tornado warning and end up in the basement. 3 days later, tonight, we get a tornado watch until 5am. All 6 of us sleep on the 3rd floor of our house. Imagine how easy it is to get both babies, a 2 and 4 yo down to the basement really quickly in the middle of the night in case this turns into a Tornado warning? Imagine how easy it is to hear a weather siren when the white noise machine is playing over the baby monitor, and the air conditioner is on?

Guess how much sleep I"m going to get tonight? I hate being afraid.

And...lucky for us the next SEVEN more days are forecasting moderate to severe thunderstorms. I am SO with you on this - it makes me want to scream and we can't even get outside hardly at all. Today my kids nearly blew away in the yard it's so darn windy.

Jacksonvol
06-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I know what you mean. It can be really scary and can keep you up nights. About a week ago, we were in the closet (no basement) while the sirens were going off. I recommend a good weather radio for alerts and perhaps altering sleeping arrangements when the possibility exists for after bedtime bad weather. For me, I know I feel a little better when I know I have the closet ready (pillows, blankets, purse, flashlight, cel phone) and that I monitor the weather at least loosely. (check NOAA website, t.v. on to local station or weather radio after bedtime). At that point, I've done everything I can. Our house is pretty small and we only have DD, so I know I can get her pretty quickly. Our old rental duplex was 3 stories (damp basement), and while I would not sleep down there, I did sleep on the first floor a couple of times, just to cut out a set of stairs. Hang in there!

casey0729
06-08-2008, 02:11 PM
The weirdest thing was while the tornado was ripping through Hugo it was sunny and beautiful in my suburb. Bizarre. I felt so bad for everyone there.

Luckily for us, our remodel has us all living in the basement right now. Lisa, did you actually have a siren? I can hear the sirens in the other cities across the river on some nights. Even with all the things on.

babyready
06-08-2008, 10:29 PM
The weirdest thing was while the tornado was ripping through Hugo it was sunny and beautiful in my suburb. Bizarre. I felt so bad for everyone there.

Luckily for us, our remodel has us all living in the basement right now. Lisa, did you actually have a siren? I can hear the sirens in the other cities across the river on some nights. Even with all the things on.

It was sunny here too! We're South a ways. I'm with you guys. Every time I wake up at night and it is storming I feel compelled to check the TV and then I can never get back to sleep until things pass...

Happy 2B mommy
06-08-2008, 11:06 PM
I hear ya. And this is the week that our city's sirens are 'down for maintainance'. Who decides to do that during tornado season???

Tonight I'm sleeping with the radio on.

MontrealMum
06-09-2008, 12:11 AM
I hope it gets better soon. I still remember spending nights in our basement during tornado season when growing up in MI. And the goosebumps you'd get on your arms when "tornado weather" was happening. Or trying to get all my bears down there fast enough. For me it was like camping out with the flashlight and the radio - but I can't imagine how I'd feel now as an adult responsible for herding everyone down there in time.

gatorsmom
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM

We were camping in Wisconsin on Memorial Weekend so we weren't home (which was ALSO under severe weather alerts so unfortunately we didn't really escape it much). But I was told by neighbors that the sirens around here went off only a few minutes before they heard the "roaring train" noise that accompanies tornadoes.

And still in the forecast for this week is more bad weather. grrr.