PDA

View Full Version : Soft mattress pad?

lynchgmr
06-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Hi there! I know that you shouldn't put anything in the baby's crib - but....our 7 month old has been sleeping with mommy and daddy since she was about 2 weeks old. It was the only way any of us could get some sleep! Well I would like to transition her to her crib. I have a Colgate foam mattress that feels as hard as an ironing board She will not sleep in her crib but for only short amounts of time. I feel like she might if I could make it a little more 'plush'....Does anyone out there recommend a mattress pad that could make the Colgate mattress just a little more soft???? Thanks!

joyful mommy
06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Two suggestions that we've found helpful:

Lands End waterproof crib mattress pad. Not crinkly at all, seems a bit "plusher" to me than some others I've seen. Also, I often double sheeted (and matress padded) as DH travels at times and those middle of the night changes were much faster/easier this way. This double layer was, of course, plusher too. With the LE knit sheets everything fit easily and each layer was still snug and soft.

Our DS 2 has been even more sensitive to this than DS 1 was, even though I started him on the toddler side (slightly softer). I recently purchased a wool fleece crib mattress cover from allergystore.com. It was called Little Ewe Crib Mattress Pad (scroll down the following link to see package). I think I found a coupon code somewhere too -- check retailmenot.com and places like that.

http://allergystore.com/australian-wool-mattress-pads.htm

I was looking for a sheep skin cover, hoping it would be a little plusher -- while not what I was initially looking for, this is nice. It's a bit more awkward to put on matress as it has two long straps: one to velcro near top of mattress, the 2nd to velcro near bottom. It stays put though.

HTH and Good luck! :)

SammyeGail
06-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Some people might not agree with this, but our pedi suggested it when one of our twins developed 'flathead' (he's fine now).

Get a twin sized memory foam bed cover and cut it to size, about 2" shorter all around than crib mattress. Both boys love them, we just cut new ones when they get dirty.

Our problem was finding sheets that fit, the only ones that did was Pottery Barn crib sheets.

Good luck!!

Samantha

janine
06-06-2008, 01:20 PM
is it ok to have a mattress pad plus sheet plus ultimate crib sheet or is this too many sheets? coil mattress seems so uncomfortable with just a sheet..

joyful mommy
06-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Some people might not agree with this, but our pedi suggested it when one of our twins developed 'flathead' (he's fine now).

Get a twin sized memory foam bed cover and cut it to size, about 2" shorter all around than crib mattress. Both boys love them, we just cut new ones when they get dirty.

Our problem was finding sheets that fit, the only ones that did was Pottery Barn crib sheets.

Good luck!!

Samantha

I think it's a great idea ... and BTW would be surprised if LE cotton knit sheets would not fit this set-up also. I realize they seem to be phasing the knit ones out, but I think there are still some print ones.

I don't know if their sueded percale sheets would work or not, but they have an easy return policy. :)

joyful mommy
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I just received an email from allergystore.com with a coupon code for 10% off -- the code is below in case your interested in the wool fleece crib mattress pad:

Enter Promo Code WES0608 When You Check Out. Sale ends midnight 6/8/08. (I believe that's EST)

lynchgmr
06-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you everybody! I decided to try the pad from allergystore.com, and used the coupon code :) I figured if my daughter takes after me, she's may have allergy problems in the future, so I'd be better off with the wool pad that I could wash....Wish me luck!