PDA

View Full Version : Help! Buying new carseats...again

lishmom
06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
It's that time again - I need to buy two new car seats this month. Both for DH's car, a Civic Hybrid. Since it's a hybrid we do use it quite a lot for family outings to save gas. But it's not our every day car.

Currently DS is in a Snugride with the extra base in the Civic. Our DD (3.5 yrs) still uses our Britax convertible seat in that car FF because she is barely 30 lbs. But...

Now DS (7 months and 18.5 lbs) is quickly reaching the limits of the Snugride and we want to move the Britax into our primary car for him.

Anyone have experience fitting 2 car seats in a Civic or the like? What are good options for a smaller sized convertible car seat for DS and a smaller sized forward facing seat for DD? (She uses a Radian65 in our other car and we love it, but it is out of our budget for a second car seat.)

Budget would be somewhere around $250 to buy both seats. Can this be done?

bubbaray
06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Scenara or Triumph Advance are reasonably priced choices.

ha98ed14
06-06-2008, 01:23 PM

I second this. DD (1 y.o. 19.5 lbs) is in a Britax Marathon in my car. I needed a second seat for DH's car since he will be primary care giver this summer and because I needed a seat to take on a plane for next week. I got the pink Scenera at Walmart for $47.00. After getting adivce from the moms on here, I just followed their lead/ suggestions and didn't even research it. I spent hours researching the first one and spent $300 on it. We will prob move the Britax in DH's car for the summer and stick the Scenera in mine, then switch back when DH goes back to work...

lorinick
06-06-2008, 02:21 PM

I too think those two are good choices. I have a Britax BLVD. in my car and DH has the Triumph Advance in his car. It's tight it's rear facing in a Civic. DS in 10mts. 19lb. We just started using it. We put it in the center so we can sit comfy and still recline our seats. DS #1 sits in a trubo booster age 7 out bound. The Advance would not work in our Civic in the outbound position.

lishmom
06-06-2008, 11:33 PM
The Advance would not work in our Civic in the outbound position.

Thanks for this info on installing the Advance in the Civic. That is so helpful, because common sense tells me that the two seats that we will need will be too big to install side by side and will both have to be outbound. (And I really don't want to sit up front with my knees in the dashboard!)

I guess the Scenera is the way to go since it apears to be the most compact and is also not expensive. Thanks for your help!

Any thoughts on a compactly built 5 point harness youth seat/ booster for DD?

bubbaray
06-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Any thoughts on a compactly built 5 point harness youth seat/ booster for DD?

Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier.

ETA: Wait a sec, though. What is the expiry date on your BV? Why not give the BV to the baby and get your DD#1 a new seat?

lishmom
06-07-2008, 04:17 PM
ETA: Wait a sec, though. What is the expiry date on your BV? Why not give the BV to the baby and get your DD#1 a new seat?

Yes, that is the exact plan. I'm looking for a small sized convertible seat for DS and a smaller sized youth/booseter for DD (both at lower price points) so that I can fit both of them into the back seat of DH's Civic.

I hadn't looked at the Nautilus, but am going to right now, Thanks!
Britax is a budget-buster for this secondary seat, unfortunately.

bubbaray
06-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes, that is the exact plan. I'm looking for a small sized convertible seat for DS and a smaller sized youth/booseter for DD (both at lower price points) so that I can fit both of them into the back seat of DH's Civic.

I hadn't looked at the Nautilus, but am going to right now, Thanks!
Britax is a budget-buster for this secondary seat, unfortunately.

I wouldn't worry too much about the fit in the rear of the Civic as long as you don't also expect to fit a third person/adult back there too. 2 seats should fit just fine.

bubbaray
06-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Here ya go:

Nautilus $150: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8112222

Scenara $44: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8054497

If you can go a bit higher than $250, here are some choices for the RFg/FFg convertible. Personally, I'd go with something a bit more padded than the Scenara if you will be using it often.

or Triumph Advance $130: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5933974

or TrueFit $180: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7941659