PDA

View Full Version : Hotsling or Zolowear Ring Sling for NB?

carolinamama
06-06-2008, 11:52 AM
DS2 is due to arrive in Sept. I have an Ergo Carrier and a Baby Bjorn. But I would love to have a sling for nip and wearing while I am chasing ds1 around. I can only justify buying one. Which one would you suggest - a pouch or ring sling? I've narrowed it down to the Hotsling and Zolowear but I'm not sure which would be more useful. And of course there is no where to compare the two locally.

Thanks!

sidmand
06-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Have you used either before? I only ask because I have both and although my Zolowear ring sling is absolutely beautiful, I never ever use it because I can't figure out how.

The Hotsling on the other hand is really easy, even for a mechanically challenged person like myself!

I think the RS can be a better fit (and you can definitely wear a newborn in both), but if you don't know how to use it, it does have a learning curve and especially in those sleep-deprived early days, it's too hard for me at least, to figure it out. I bought it years ago for DS and it sits in the closet still...

Piglet
06-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Ditto the above! I have both and honestly never use either of them, but if I were to use one, it would be the Hotsling. The trick with HS is to get the sizing right. Many people get them too big (since you often buy them PG). It should be really snug to fit correctly. My favourite newborn carrier is still the Bjorn (I know, I know...). After that, I love my mei tai. I thnk I am just one of those people that does well with a 2 shoulder carrier. I think you should look at the HS, but maybe try to find a used one. In fact, I am done with both of mine (Zolo and HS) - PM me!

Tondi G
06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Hotsling gets my vote! Love mine and wish I got it earlier! I'd go over to the babywearer and check their for sale or trade forum.... I got mine gently used from a mama over there for a good price!

There are other pouches out there for good prices too

Slinglings, Luckybabywear, peanutshell!

Good Luck

Clarity
06-06-2008, 04:07 PM
And, hey, the slingling is on sale at mamabargains at this very moment.

new_mommy25
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I will be the dissenter here because I don't like pouches with newborns. IMO they are just not supportive enough and they are almost impossible to nurse a newborn in. The ring sling is infintely adjustable which makes it so easy to nurse and to get your baby positioned just right. I love how you get a custom fit every time.

There is a little bit of a learning curve but these days there is so much information out there it shouldn't be that hard. You can watch videos on the Zolowear and Maya websites. Almost all sling websites will have a picture tutorial. You can also search Youtube for videos on how to use your sling. If you join thebabywearer.com there is an overwhelming amount of advice and thousands of people who will want to help you succeed. And the best support is support you get IRL. You can search to see if there is a babywearing group nearby. Many states have monthly meetings. They used to be under NINO but that organization has since disbanded so they might be harder to find. Check out the local section of Thebabywearer to find people near you.

egoldber
06-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I also agree that I don't like pouches for newborns. A good ringsling (and someone to show you how to use it :) ) is invaluable. I never really got ring slings with Sarah, but Amy practically lived in my Zolo sling the first year of her life.

DrSally
06-07-2008, 03:38 PM
I had the exact same question. I've heard pouches aren't great for nursing, and the zolo wrap is a little stiff for first time users (which is me, but not you). I've heard the maya is the best for nursing. I bought a hotsling and want to get a maya.

carolinamama
06-07-2008, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=sidmand]Have you used either before? I only ask because I have both and although my Zolowear ring sling is absolutely beautiful, I never ever use it because I can't figure out how.QUOTE]

That is what I am afraid of happening! And I was a sleep-deprived basket case when ds1 was a newborn. With only one baby to handle. Now I will have a preschooler and a newborn. I'll have to see about ordering from somewhere I can return it if possible.

tnrnchick74
06-12-2008, 07:49 PM
My Mom bought me a Zolo ring sling for Parker...and I haven't watched the video YET, but figuring out how to put him in a basic carry position across the chest was super easy and I love being able to adjust it easily. the "mommy pouch" is awesome as well!

My Mom bought that particular sling because it came in a very thin mesh material with UV treatment. Parker is a very hot natured baby, and living in FL, the light weight and UV protection are great!

Parker is 2 weeks old and I use my sling just about every day!