PDA

View Full Version : how old for Europe?

HGraceMom
06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
DH & I are having a debate...

We have the opportunity to go to Switzerland this summer. It'd be a 9 day trip to 2 or 3 cities & a classical music festival.

Excluding cost as an issue, how old would your minimum age be to take a DD & why?

TIA...

BeachBum
06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
We took DS to Italy for vacation when he was 13 months. It was not a problem. I probably wouldn't do it now (age 2.5) because I feel like we would really have to seek out kid centric activities. I think he would be fine again in another year or so.

If you are asking what age will your DD get something out of the trip (verses convenience of traveling with a kid), I don't know because my kid is so young.

bubbaray
06-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Well, if the trip is something that DH and I really wanted to do, we would *have* to take both DDs as we have no one to look after them in our absence. So, in our case, age wouldn't be an issue.

DH used to live in Germany and FIL/sMIL live there 6m of the year. We have discussed when we will take the girls and we are holding off. There is no urgent need/festival/event for us to attend. So, we're probably going to go when DD#2 is around 4-5 -- mainly b/c it is a 9hr flight for us (WestCoast) and I don't relish the idea of that with their current ages. In that regard, its the flight issue and not the activities while *in* Europe that are our issue.

egoldber
06-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Well, I think it very much depends on 1) the temperament of the child and 2) your expectations for the trip. If you expect to do things as you would without children, then I think its not going to be a fun trip. And even if you have child-centric expectations and your child is fussy, easily distressed by travel, sleep disturbances, etc. then that wouldn't be a fun trip either.

HGraceMom
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
DD is 6 1/2. More than her being "able" to travel, I'm wondering how much she'll "get" out of this trip.

DH spent 2 weeks abroad as a 10 year old and can't tell 10 minutes worth of stories from the trip. He spent months at a time in high school & college, and remembers the silliest details! I think that's proving my point that she's just too young. He argues that this type of trip helps mold who she might become - more of the "building block" argument.

Thanks so far - any input is much appreciated!!!

I have tickets reserved for all of us but can cancel until Sunday night.

pb&j
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
I'd go! Even if she doesn't remember everything, it will still be a valuable experience. And if *I* had that opportunity, I wouldn't want to give that up just because I didn't think DS would remember it all. I think as long as you have appropriate expectations for the trip, then why not?

FWIW, my parents took me to England and Germany for three weeks when I was 9. My mom hemmed and hawed about it, and didn't want to take me out of school. I remember so much from that trip, but I don't remember anything about the 4th grade, except for the grouchy teacher I had.

bubbaray
06-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I'd go. I wouldn't be worried about her dealing with the long flight and I think she'd find things to be interested in there. It might not be what you think she should be interested in, but I think she'd enjoy it. Switzerland is beautiful and seemed very child-friendly (though I haven't been there with children).

I agree with your DH on the trip influencing your DD more than creating actual memories for her.

KBecks
06-06-2008, 05:23 PM
There are only so many opportunities in life to go to Europe. I'm not wealthy enough to go whenever I please.... so..... I would go with a DC at any age. You are bringing DC along, right?

I would not leave my kids at home for more than a night or two, but if they're coming with, I'd take them anytime.

egoldber
06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I would take Sarah without a second thought. She would enjoy it immensely and get a lot out of it.

deannanb
06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
put asided that it is a trip to Europe -
if you were taking her to any state in the US - what would she "get" out of it? She is going to get out of it, whatever you introduce to her before you go - and while you are there.

you can go with her to the library to check out books about the cities you are going to see - and look at pictures on the internet - I think she could "get" so much out of the trip (or any trip for that matter).

If money isn't a factor - take her with you -

when you are there - make a bingo card for her of the places you will see -
give her her own camera and a travel journal - buy postcards of what you see

hth

Thatchermom
06-06-2008, 05:37 PM
DS says you should take her! He still talks about his trip to Czech almost three summers ago. I think part of the difference of our kids "remembering" vs. our generation is the literally thousands of pictures and video we brought home. He sees so many more triggers for his memories that they are kept fresher. He can expound on the minutae of our trip still.

And your DH is right. Our travels with DS have been a major building block in DS's life, and we are already traveling with DD as well.

trales
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
DD will be 17 months when we take her to Iceland in the fall. We plan to take her with us whenever we travel. It will be great memories for us and building blocks for the future. We will take lots of pictures and video and buy her an Icelandic toy and some books.

kozachka
06-06-2008, 09:03 PM
I travelled with my parents since I was 3.5-4. I have some really bright memories since I was 5-6. We just took DS to Hawaii, which for us was further away than Europe for you. We took extra time getting there and back via San Francisco and we were fine. DS has great memories of the trip and we were able to do most activities with him that we would have done ourselves. He is 4.5. We are now talking about taking him to Netherlands to see cheese market and windmills.

StantonHyde
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
We went to France last year and left DC for a week with a very trusted babysitter. WE wanted to get something out of the trip!!!! My kids are still young and traveling distances with them is a LOT of work. I do know someone who took their DD and did very well with loading movies on the ipod--it was very portable. Do what would be the most fun!

mamicka
06-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Go & take your DC with you. I both traveled with my parents overseas when very young & have taken my own DC very young. No regrets on either end.

elephantmeg
06-07-2008, 08:47 AM
we went every couple years on our way back to the States from Africa so at 3 years old, 7 years old, 11 years old. I remember nothing of 3 years old but some from 7. We went to England/Scotland/Whales and I remember: sheepdog trial, crown jewels, changing of the guard/train station where I left my backpack, staying at a bed and breakfast type place when mom got pleurasy and the woman running it got out all her kids old toys and was super nice to us, a wooly lamb with a scotish scarf (lamby) that we got in Scotland. I actually have more vivid memories from then than when I was 11 and we did Switzerland-I remember spaghetti and whole milk (we drank powdered in Africa), the lake tour (I was terrified of boats and seasick), and the flower clock. Take lots of pictures and continue to talk about the trip, it will indeed help shape who she is.

hillview
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I'd go. We've taken DSs at 2 months old. They won't remember but we have fun. The fun is different than when we were kidless ;0

/hillary

american_mama
06-09-2008, 02:02 AM
If cost isn't an issue, I'd take a child at any age, I think. Each age has plusses and minusses, but the important thing is that if YOU want to go and the timing and finances are right, then you have to find a way to do it with kids. It will be some work, but also fun, novel, exciting, and a very special family trip.

Here are two links that I posted on in the past about the subject:

About living abroad - still good advice
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=237343&highlight=child+europe+trip

About traveling in Europe with a child
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=231718&highlight=child+europe+trip

chlobo
06-09-2008, 07:41 AM
We went to Italy when DD was 22 mo. the trip mostly worked out fine. For the first part we had a villa. For the last few days we had a hotel in Rome & that was harder.

I'd have to say the hardest part (besides keeping her entertained on the flight) was respecting a sleep schedule. DD was never a good sleeper so we didn't have an actual schedule to go on. We just had to make sure she got naps during the day. Now, I doubt she remembers any of it but DH & I do so that's important.