PDA

View Full Version : Tipp-Topp v. Tripp-Trapp for Babies

MeISOE
06-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I know this is posted a lot, but in my quick search and read, I mostly saw reviews from use with older children point-of-view. I was wondering if anyone had used either of these chairs (or any of a similar style) from the beginning - 6 months or so. I would prefer to buy one chair (if possible) that I can use with a tray or without, and that would be useful for longer than a year. Is this too much to ask? Oh, and for a bargain too!

Thanks for your help! :)

JdrKuhnert
06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
We purchased the Tripp Trapp when our son was 6 months old and used it from the beginning. He is over 2 now and still uses the chair. I plan to buy another one for DS2 and use the baby holder from DS1. It's really a great chair. It slides in under the table so that he can eat with us and we don't some big ugly plastic thing cluttering up our dining room. We've never had any problems with him in the chair. I felt that it was important that he was with us at the table. I did not miss having a tray. I just bought an easily cleanable placemat for him to minimize the mess on the table.

brittone2
06-08-2008, 04:53 PM
DS is 4 and has used a Kinderzeat since he was about 15ish months. DD started using a Tipp Topp when she was 7-8 months maybe?

I much, much prefer DS's KZ. I don't have a Tripp Trapp, so I can't compare 100 percent, but the surface of the KZ (the finish) is easier to clean. The 3 pt. harness on the Tipp Topp was never good at containing my little monkey and we eventually cut a 5 pt harness off of an expired carseat and attached it to the Tipp Topp because it was the only way to keep her in the chair (she routinely escaped from the 3 pt harness. YMMV. For whatever reason, it just didn't work for us).

DD is now almost 18 mo and seems to prefer DS's KZ. I prefer the look and find the KZ easier to clean. JMO. I got DD the Tipp Topp because it was about 100 shipped from Amazon, but I wish I had waited and gotten a Tripp Trap.

MontrealMum
06-08-2008, 05:07 PM
We purchased our Tripp Trapp with babyrail and harness when DS was 4 mos. and began using it at about 5.5 mos. - feeding him in it from 6 mos. It's great for containment, and keeping him safe at the table when he refuses to nap, and it's everyone else's mealtime. I also put him in it if I am cooking or cleaning. He's quite a little escape artist but he's not going anywhere in that harness. We, too, bought it with the goal of purchasing one chair only. It slides under our table also, and is easy to clean. We did start out using the pads, but he's just too messy at this point, so we took it off the bottom and will put it back later when he's a little neater.

MeISOE
06-09-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't see it anywhere, but does the Tripp-Trapp have an optional tray? I thought I saw that the Tipp-Topp does, which I'm thinking might be nice, but I have no idea as I have not quite begun solids yet but am rapidly nearing the time to start (DS is 6 mo tomorrow).

We don't sit at a table regularly (still couch dwellers) so I'm thinking the tray would be good to start with. But at the same time, the Tripp-Trapp seems to get higher marks, mostly because of cleaning/finish.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

brittone2
06-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not aware of the Tripp Trapp having an optional tray, but we have a KZ and so I'm not really 100 percent up to date on the Tripp Trapp.

Our Tipp Topp came w/ a tray, and I used it with the tray (and still do much of the time). The tray is wooden and needs to be removed completely if you really want to wipe it down thoroughly. Some people are bothered by this. That wasn't a big deal for me, but I had issues w/ the harness not restraining DD well at *all* and more difficulty in cleaning the finish of the Tipp Topp vs. the Tripp Trapp.

MontrealMum
06-09-2008, 10:11 PM
If the Tripp Trapp has a tray, I am not aware of it. We just pull DS up to the table (we're still feeding him ourselves) and let him play with his toys and things there. It's a little tricky because we had to take our tablecloth off since he tried to pull it, and everything on it, onto the floor. We're now using either the plain wood, or picnic tableclothes with clamps! We're hoping this is just a stage, and that we'll be able to put the normal one back on again at some point. We tried the Kiddopatamous "sticky" mats too, but no luck. It's a bit of a trade-off, the no tray thing, but it's pretty easy to clean our table with a wet washcloth so we're putting up with it.

amycoh
06-10-2008, 07:30 AM
The tripp trapp does not have a tray, because the companys philosophy is that everyone should sit together at the table.

The Tipp Topp has a tray, but my friend who owns one with the tray doesn't seem to use it with the tray, and pulls her daughter up to the table.

The tipp topp has nice arms on the side, while the tripp trapp does not, but I feel the tripp trapp will last longer in time since it can become a computer seat for adults too when done with its dining service.

JdrKuhnert
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
There is a tray called the Clic Clac that fits the Tripp Trapp. It's not made by Stokke, however. I have seen it for sale in Germany and the UK. I have no idea if you can purchase it in the US. If you are interested, you might check on ebay .

doberbrat
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I prefer my tipp topp over the trip trap. The back is higher and it has arms since my dd is a flipper, I like the high back option as an extra measure of safety. The downside is that I could see a small baby sliding through the arms (between the arm & the back) and getting their head stuck. I warned dh not to leave dd unattended in the chair for this reason. We often have her start eating and run downstairs to switch a load of laundry etc.

The surface seems just as easy to clean as my friend’s trip trapp. It wont last as long w/the lower weight limit but I’m still happy w/the purchase.

amycoh
06-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I also should point out that I bought my tripp trapp used - and would not pay full price for it - not because its not worth every penny - but because I am cheap! ;-)

It came with the seat cover, which I would not recommend purchasing, because it can slip easily

The baby rail is needed if you want to put 6 months - 18 months in the seat, and it really easy to take on and off.