PDA

View Full Version : Q for bike riders

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I want to buy dh a bike for Father's Day. Nothing fancy b/c it will just be used for leisure. But, I will be buying a decent one from the bike store rather than one from K-Mart (kwim?). My question is, can I buy it for him so I can surprise him with it or is it something he really needs to sit on and try out? I'd love to surprise him with it.

TIA!
Beth

bubbaray
06-07-2008, 10:17 AM
IMO, even if you did know his size, the geometry of different brands and even models within brands, means you really need to try them out IRL.

I asked my DH and he said "if its a cheap bike, it d/n matter much" -- he's a bike snob. :( He did mutter as he walked away "its always better to try them out".

So, I guess the votes from this house are split. Good luck!

egoldber
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Maybe buy him a helmet or a bike accessory and include a "voucher" for a new bike too?

I think its a great idea. :)

hellokitty
06-07-2008, 11:51 AM
He needs to try it out for a bike that fits him right. I like the suggestion of the other poster, get him a bike accessory and then take him to the bike shop and let him pick out one that he likes and fits his body.

MontrealMum
06-07-2008, 11:54 AM
ITA with Melissa, but here's a bit of an explanation - a bike fanatic is always going to say it should be fit to you ... if your DH is going to do some really serious riding, a bike "fitting"/measuring is essential. My DH bought a heartstoppingly expensive road bike a few years back that required several fittings, and was customized to his height/weight/frame and other preferences (he used to be quite a competitive athelete). Even at the level that I cycle, I was fit to my bikes as well, and really notice the difference (I am tall for a woman, though, which has its own issues) it was also important for me to be able to lift it easily, on my own. Of course, the more I know, the pickier I've gotten ;)

I'm thinking, though, that if you're not doing that kind of cycling, you/your DH might not mind, or notice, as much if the fit is a bit off. If it's just weekends around the neighborhood or the like, maybe it's not as necessary - if he falls within an average height/weight. Bikes are sized, and even male/female. So, you might be able to guess at a good enough size. Having a bike that's geometrically a bit *off* isn't as much of a concern if he's not going to be doing enormous rides. Yes, being a bit off could cause back pain or other issues, but if he's only on it a bit on the weekends, it might not matter. This is barring your DH having unusually long legs/arms or the reverse.

Maybe all that is actually more confusing, now that I read it! The idea of a voucher is great - maybe you could cut a picture of a bike out of a magazine and glue it to a card, and let him know it's waiting for him at your local bike shop? You could always put a little deposit down beforehand and explain to the store what you want to do.

ETA: the two most personal "fit" items about cycling, IMHO, are the helmet and seat (saddle). Get one that fits the way you like and it can make a world of difference.

SnuggleBuggles
06-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Drat. I was afraid that you would say thay he needed to come with us. :) We have a terrible, terrible track record on both fronts when it comes to IOU gifts. But, since it really will be just for occasional rides around the neighborhood I might chance it. Thankk you!

Beth

tylersmama
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
You might check into your local specialty bike shop's return/exchange policy. I know mine is great...if you're unhappy with your bike for any reason, you can take it back and they'll work with you to find one that fits your needs better. Within reason, of course, you can't ride it for a year and then decide that it doesn't work! ;)