PDA

View Full Version : Ergo or Beco?

MontrealMum
06-07-2008, 02:40 PM
So.......after months of me "discussing" the possibility/necessity of purchasing yet another baby carrier - apparently with myself, not with DH who was in the room for each and every discussion :32: - he has finally come up with the idea...on his own LOL...that we might need something to contain/corral DS as he approaches walking, and is now too big for the infant carseat. Something that will fit more easily into narrow stores than our Mac. Something that will pack easily for travel (squish). Something that works a little better that what we already have. Argh...all that talking, and finally he's come to the same conclusion. No, this doesn't belong in the B*%$&*&g post - I have a real question...

We have: 2 Hotslings that DS refused to ride in as a newborn, but I now sometimes use around the house when I need my hands free; a wrap -again, baby refusal; and a Bjorn Active which nearly crippled my back, and DS is too long for at this point anyways. We were planning on getting a Kelty-type frame carrier at some point in the future for when we resume hiking, but I had thought that we might not use this for another year or so since we have no immediate hiking plans, and certainly don't go as often as we used to.

So, I'd really like something similar to the Bjorn (the Hotsling isn't good for long distances/times), with MUCH more back support, that can be used front and back (front for baby #2 if there is one), and that will let us contain DS who is looking like he'll be an early walker...and jumper, and climber. :bouncy: What should I get? Should we really be considering something like a Kelty? Really, at this point I just want something for the grocery store, and for our trip this summer where we'll be doing lots of beach walking, trail walking (no hiking) or in places that are too tight for even the Mac. Instances where, as he grows, we may have to carry him when he's too tired. Considering how our lives have changed, even pre-baby, I'm not too sure we really need a frame carrier (we might rent or borrow instead for those rare hikes), but am willing to consider based on others' opinions/experiences.

Really, though, I'm thinking a Beco or Ergo would suit our needs best. Which one would be better? Does one give more support than the other? Is one more comfortable? Lasts longer (tall, not heavy, child)? I will admit that I am totally seduced by the cute designs of the Beco, but really need to get beyond that to function, comfort, and usability. For those who own or have tried both - which do you prefer, and why?

bubbaray
06-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I have owned both. I recently sold my Beco and kept my Ergo. I thought the Ergo was more comfortable *for me*. Just an FYI, Beco had a recall on their Butterfly. I have the Ergo in cranberry, but would have preferred to get the organic denim. Its super cute. I had the Beco in Carnival and it is the CUTEST fabric, but I just never found it comfy. I am 5'9" and short-waisted.

I buy my carriers from www.thebabyslingshop.com -- she's super nice and I like to support a mom business when I can.

MontrealMum
06-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks so much, I will check that store out. I am leaning towards the Ergo since the Bjorn was such a horrendous disaster - and the pain! - I have great fear about repeating that - but those Beco fabrics are just so pretty - what a decision! It looks like they are retrofitting the recalls with new buckles or something, so that's not as much of a worry, but still something to think about.

jbrandy
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I also own both and perfer my Ergo. I love this carrier -- I just felt like the Beco was too confining for my now 1 year old. It wasn't bad when he was little but...the Ergo gives him more freedom with his arms. I wore DS in the front up until 1 year. Now he rides comfortably on my back! DS weighs 22 lb now and it is easy to wear him on my back -- doesn't bother me a bit!

In fact I loaned my Beco to a friend with a baby and when I get it back, I'm going to sell it.

Best wishes with your decision!

Beth B
DS 4-4-03
DS 4-18-07

longstocking
06-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Still waiting for the baby to get here but from lots of friend recommendations, I decided to get the Ergo. I found used ones on this websight
http://www.myfavoritebabycarrier.com/used.html
for $79 The only problem is that it voids the 1 year warranty. But, I purchased and received one and there is nothing wrong with it, looks brand new in the box actually. We'll see how much I love it when I actually have a baby to put in it.

JacksMommy
06-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Both are great. ERGO is my preference, both for price and comfort (although Becos are cuter). Some petite and shorter mamas find Beco more comfortable.

MoveOverRover
06-17-2008, 12:04 PM
BECO BECO BECO.

I had an Ergo and just hated it. The bulky waistband pushed my pants down, the single-adjustable waist strap gave me "muffin top" when I wore in back carries, the height was too low for my DS who is a leaner, and I couldn't cross the straps in back for front carries (crossing straps makes for more comfy front carries for me). The shoulder straps were all poofy and bulky and DH hated them - he said he had to walk arms out like Frankenstein because the straps were so poofy. DH and I both gave it a resounding thumbs down.

Beco is better, but I prefer the 4th Generation over the newer Butterflies.

Even better than Beco I like APLX (Angelpack LX). They are similar to Beco 4th Generation but a little taller bodied, with a nicer hood. I have one and just adore it - it would be a good alternative option. They come in pretty prints, are lightweight, and the shoulder straps are super comfy.

wellyes
06-17-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a Beco Butterfly and love it. Haven't used the Ergo, I chose the Butterfly because of the ease of the back carry. (Plus, the demin-y harsh look of the Ergo it turned me off.) But I can list some pros and cons of the Beco:

PROS:
- Works for tiny babies well
- Taller back than Ergo, baby is more held in
- Makes back carry VERY easy, you just put babe in front then swoosh her around to the back
- Has straps that allow you to adjust how close/loose the hold is.

CONS:
- If you put baby in the internal pocket, it's not as easy to get her in / out (comparing this to my Moby)
- expensive and vendor forbids sales

It is comfortable for both me (5'4", size 18) and my husband (6'0, athletic build). I have NO regrets with this purchase.

firsttimemama
07-11-2008, 09:59 PM
based on your post I'm thinking Ergo
Most of my friends have ergos & love 'em (as do I)
One petite friend prefers the beco (narrower straps/frame)

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
I tried a Beco Butterfly and an Ergo today and I totally prefer the Beco! I liked the fabric. But what I loved was the infant pocket. I could put ds in the carrier then put the carrier on. It was so much easier for me to use.

Beth

shoremom
07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I went with the Beco 4th Generation. It is very comfortable and light. Patterns a plus. :)
Check out www.thebabywearer.com for more reviews.

MontrealMum
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
..............................after much debating with myself, and online research, I had decided to go for the organic Ergo, but they were sold out everywhere because I waited too long :( So, I ordered a Beco Butterfly and we've been using it for about 2 weeks. (it has the newer, safer buckles) DH and I both LOVE it. :boogie: I don't know if it's better than the Ergo would have been because it seems that they are both very good and well-liked, but it's so much better than the Bjorn that it doesn't really matter at this point. The waist belt makes a world of difference. I use it for bringing DS into daycare when I have to carry things, or from the car or stroller into our small butcher's shop where our Mac barely fits. Thank you everyone for your help - I'm usually not so indecisive, but with the disaster of the Bjorn I was very wary.