PDA

View Full Version : DS doesn't seem to like the sling -- anyone else?

beansprout13
06-07-2008, 03:12 PM
DS is now about 10 days old. I got a Hotsling (since I have a 3.5 yr old to chase after as well) and I've tried it about 6 times with DS and he doesn't seem to like it at all. He either screams as I'm putting him in or he starts fussing and kicking his legs after about 2 min in the sling. I thought the sling would be a lifesaver, but now I don't know what to do. Anyone else have this problem??

MontrealMum
06-07-2008, 03:33 PM
We had the same problem and it was very frustrating. We tried on and off for the first month or so, and after that first time - which must have been a fluke - he screamed his head off over the Hotsling. He loved the Bjorn, but it was too painful for me to wear him in that after about the first month. If it helps you with justifying your Hotsling purchase, my DS began to like it around month 5 or 6 for some odd reason - but that's none too helpful now I know. We tried a Moby-like wrap too, and he liked that initially as well, but then screamed and fussed so we gave up on that too :( There are other options out there, so wait until some of the more experienced mommies chime in. I just wanted you to know that we had lots of sling-hatred around here too. Maybe you can return it and try another type?

bubbaray
06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Neither of my girls liked the Hotsling. DD#2 liked the CuddlyWrap, but it was way too much fabric for me to deal with. ditto the BabyHawk MT. I love my Ergo. I had a Beco 4G too, but sold it and kept the Ergo as the Ergo was the most comfy.

ThreeofUs
06-07-2008, 04:24 PM
DS hated slings - they seemed to aggravate his reflux, because he would wake up screaming if not in *just* the right position.

s7714
06-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Both my DDs went through phases of liking or not liking a particular carrier. My older DD hated slings with a passion but loved the bjorn (which I hated with a passion ;) ). My younger DD loved slings and pouches when she was little but hated being in mei tais or the bjorn until she was about 4 months or so.

Honestly though I contribute some of my younger DDs willingness to be in the pouch or sling to the fact I was a lot more confident in my wearing abilities when she came around. With DD1 I was always hesitant, nervous and anxious about getting her into the carrier just right so she'd be comfortable--I think she might have fed off that negative energy and felt insecure.

I'd try different positions and if none of them work, a different type of carrier all together if possible. He may change his mind later on!

new_mommy25
06-07-2008, 04:45 PM
What posistion are you using? Both of my children really only liked upright, tummy to tummy posistions as newborns. Neither could tolerate the cradle hold. I agree that it could aggravate reflux. Unfortunetly the tummy to tummy hold is hard to acheive with a pouch. You might want to try a ring sling instead since you can tighten the top rail agains baby's back. The Maya padded sling is great for beginners because they are easy to use, come with an instructional DVD, the fabric has a great hand, and the price is fairly inexpensive.

The BabyHawk Mei Tai is also really great with newborns because of the shorter back. You can do that tummy to tummy posistion that they love.

If you really want to stick with pouches, the Kanagaroo Korner fleece pouch is awesome (but can be hot in the summer). It's a lot more supportive and roomier than regular cotton non adjustable pouches.

http://www.babyhawk.com/
http://www.attachedtobaby.com/Maya-Wrap-Lightly-Padded-Baby-Sling-P95.aspx

SnuggleBuggles
06-07-2008, 04:54 PM
We had that problem too and so we used the Bjorn we already owned with success. I am chalking up the Hotsling to one of my many things I bought and didn't need. We do use it some in the hip carry position now th\at he is older at least. Try out the Ergo or Moby.

Beth

ellies mom
06-07-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty new to baby wearing because all I had with DD1 was a Bjorn and it hurt my back so I just carried her. Now with DD2, I've got a pouch and an Ergo. I like the pouch for quick trips and the Ergo for longer wearing.

What I definitely recommend is either visiting a baby wearing group or stopping by one of the small stores that sells a good variety of slings. I went into one the other day and the woman was incredibly helpful even though I bought my pouch at another store. She reassured me that the way I was carrying the baby was fine and showed me a couple of other ways to carry her as well.

carolinamama
06-07-2008, 05:28 PM
DS was the same way and I tried so hard with the sling b/c I wanted it to work. But he LOVED the Bjorn and then the Ergo. I know lots of people aren't into the Bjorn, but honestly, it was a life-saver for the first few months. The Ergo is great too, but I've never used it for a newborn although I plan to give it a try this Sept when ds #2 comes along.

beansprout13
06-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will keep trying with the sling for a few more times and if not, then try it when he gets older for the hip hold.

I do have a Bjorn that I will try when DS gets big enough (only 7lbs now -- I think the baby has to be 8lbs to go in the Bjorn).

If those don't work, I'll have to explore something else!!

Momof3Labs
06-07-2008, 07:53 PM
At that age, DS2 only liked our KKAFP in a tummy-to-tummy position. He never liked the cradle hold in the sling. Try different positions, but you also might want to try a different carrier (he may not like his face hidden, for example, or he may prefer it to be hidden).