PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt installation vs. LATCH question...

Kyras mom
06-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Is one method "safer" than the other?

Why was LATCH invented if seat belt installation is perfectly safe? Maybe it depends on the particular car.

If your car has LATCH, is it better to use it instead of using just the seat belt?

When I install with the seat belt, it is very quick and very tight, but my car has LATCH. Should I use it instead? I am not so familiar with it.

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
It's supposed to be easier (and, by virtue of it being easier, it's supposed to be safer, since more people will theoretically get it right). In their original imaginings, carseats were going to come with metal clips on the back and you'd just shove and click it into place, but they got away with inventing soft straps (Glorified Lap Belts, the cynical among us call them...), and it's really quite hard to do in many cars.
If you are happy with the seatbelt, get a solid install, then keep doing it. AND the Top Tether, that's extremely important for all forward facing harnessed seats, LATCH or belt. :)

The top weight limit for the lower anchors in some cars can be as low as 40/48 pounds, so you'd have to use the seatbelt at that weight, anyway.