PDA

View Full Version : Seat for 1968 Conv. lapbelt only-edited

LisaMom2Allie
06-09-2008, 01:09 AM
We have a 1968 Olds Convertable and currently DD is sitting in a Decath. in the front seat(because she doesn't like so much wind blowing on her and the car is a TANK) she is 45"tall and about 46 pounds and we are looking for another seat as she is just about to outgrow the Decath. in seated height and I hate that darn push button adjustor.

My concern is safety and keeping her in a 5 pt harness-but we only have lap belt to install with-would the Frontier be a good choice so that she would have more room in the seat but it would still fit in the front seat(like a sofa) and we could tether. We have Regents in the other cars and a MA in my Dad's truck but I wanted something that would last.

I am also open to other suggestions, this seat will also be used in my husbands truck-full size Chevy with a bench seat and no head rest and installed with a lap belt. Is the Frontier one of those with the headrest requirements?

I have felt confident with out seat choices(Husky, Regents, Marathon's & DC) but am just wondering what to do now.

DH suggested a 'regualr' booster like my nephew uses-I veto the slip and slide cheap boosters but is there any other booster that can be used with a lap belt?

Sorry, for the multitude of questions!

EDITED: What are your opinions on these?
E-Z-On Harnesses. The 86-Y Harness can be used from 30-168 lbs. The Kid-Y Harness can be used from 30-80 lbs in school buses and from 40-80 lbs in family vehicles. The harness consists of a shoulder harness attached to single strap which attaches to a lap only belt; it must be tethered at all times. For young children, the Ride Ryte booster must be used with the Kid-Y and is recommended when using the 86-Y between 40-80 lbs. Suggested minimum use is 40 lbs. For more information and prices on the harnesses, contact E-Z-On at 1-800-323-6598. For information on the Ride Ryte booster, contact Michele Palumbo at 1-866-396-6776.

E-Z-On Kid-Y Harness

Ride Safer Travel Vest Safe Traffic Systems Ride Safer Travel Vests come in two sizes. The small vest is used for children 35-60 lbs (can be used with tether and lap belt OR lap/shoulder belt). The large vest is used for children 50-80 lbs (Tether & lap-belt to 60 lbs; special dual tether & lap belt required for 60-80 lbs. [Dual tether ordered separately.] Lap-shoulder belt 50-80 lbs.) Vest uses clips to hold seat belt in correct position despite child's movements.

Thanks for the other input and I am not opposed to drilling into the car for DD's safety! I did not get an exact measurement but she is not close to the dash at all-this car is a tank LOL!

Lisa

Joolsplus2
06-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Nope, no boosters are good with lapbelts... :( (though... if anyone's willing to drill a hole to add a heavy duty top anchor somewhere in the sheetmetal in the back, then www.ezonpro.com will sell a harness and anchor that would work with a booster.
Frontier might work, Radian might work (and it has this feature where the shoulders can go above the top slots as long as the ears are below the top of the seatback, so it would have fit my dd till almost age 8... Frontier would fit longer, but I'm trying to give you 2 options since I know the install might be tricky!)
Front seat with rear belt as an anchor is probably not a bad choice (be sure there's a lot of room between her head and the dashboard, at least 24'ish inches, so she doesn't risk getting radio dials implanted in her forehead....)
:)

LD92599
06-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Except we have a '70 LeMans and '58 Chevy. I am pretty sure we can get by w/ the MA for this summer and then that's it (plus the MA expires Feb 09).

The sunshine kids radian was recommended by....saferider vest? Yes...they recommend the radian because it doesn't require the top tether?

Speaking of which...does the MA *require* a top tether when front facing?

Joolsplus2
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Nope, MA doesn't require a top tether when FF :) (Radian just performs 'exceptionally' well without a top tether anchor).

boolady
06-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Nope, MA doesn't require a top tether when FF :) (Radian just performs 'exceptionally' well without a top tether anchor).

Not to hijack, but does that mean having it top tethered is unnecessary when FF? I have a friend with a FF Marathon that is not top-tethered, I think because she doesn't know any better, and I've been thinking about telling her to tether it. Does it make no difference?

caleymama
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe the Graco Nautilus? My 5.5yo is almost the exact same size as your DD and she has room to grow in her Natilus (harnessed). I've never installed it with just a lapbelt, though, so I can't comment on that. It's currently in DH's Wrangler with a lap/shoulder belt and is not top-tethered b/c there is not tether anchor and one can't be installed. No headrest on the Wrangler's rear seat and no headrest requirement for the Nautilus. I got a great install with the lap/shoulder belt and DD really likes the seat. Her main seat is a Regent.

o_mom
06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Not to hijack, but does that mean having it top tethered is unnecessary when FF? I have a friend with a FF Marathon that is not top-tethered, I think because she doesn't know any better, and I've been thinking about telling her to tether it. Does it make no difference?

Whenever possible, you should use the top tether. The head excursion standards for a tethered seat are stricter, so it really does make a difference in performance. If you don't have a tether anchor available, then the seat will still be very safe, just not as safe as a tethered seat.

Some seats (Regent and Frontier, for example) require a tether over a certain weight. This is because over 50 lbs, a seat is not required to meet an untethered standard. The Marathon does not require a top tether at any weight, however.

bubbaray
06-09-2008, 10:24 PM
The Marathon does not require a top tether at any weight, however.

Unless you are in Canada ;) All convertible seats must be TTd in Canada.

hipmaman
06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Unless you are in Canada ;) All convertible seats must be TTd in Canada.

But I think the OP is not in Canada, judging from the list of carseats she refers to ;)