PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing this right?

boolady
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm just looking for general advice on where to go with DD in terms of pottying. We are and intend to be a "no pressure" house, but we now have a potty for DD because she was fascinated with the toilet, since she's always in there with me. She'lll be 20 months on 6/20.

Anyway, we got her potty, she wanted to sit on it, and first time out, tinkled. We made the appropriate big fuss, and for two or three weeks, she would like to sit on it at night when we went in to brush her teeth, but no more pee or poo. Last week, one night, she wanted to sit (and we let her indicate whether she wants to sit with or without diaper/pjs/whatever) without dipe, said "poop," read a book for a while (like father like daughter...), and pooed in the potty. Again, big fuss, yeah Anna, etc.

Since then, she has started to tell me when she has to go. I ASK her if she wants to sit on the potty, I don't tell her she has to. Yesterday, she was able to tell me that she had to just tinkle vs. poo. Since she said she did not want to sit on the potty, I let her go in her diaper.

So, is this right? I don't know if when she actually tells me that she has to go, I should put her on the potty or if I should let her choose. What do you learned mamas think? TIA!

clc053103
06-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Since this board doesn't get a lot of responses, I posted for tips the other day on the lounge- here's the link, I have found a lot of what people suggested to be helpful, hope you do too! But i think in my limited experience, any time she says she has to go, I wouldn't give the choice where- I would just put her on the potty. If she then rejects using the potty, put the diaper back on and let her go in the diaper, and praise her efforts to try the potty anyway.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=294674

boolady
06-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the link. I started reading your thread the other day, but I didn't keep current. I appreciate your help!

Clarity
06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
I'd give her the choice.
My nearly 2 year old dd potty trained at about 22 1/2 months and we used a no pressure technique as well. We never made her sit on the potty, but made a huge fuss whenever she did. We started about 19 months, so it did take a bit, but we weren't rushing her because she was so young. What really helped us was naked time. If dd and I were home, she was usually naked from the waist down. After a couple of accidents she peed in the potty whenever she was naked. It took her a bit longer to want to have a bm in the potty and would frequently request a diaper for those. Quiet encouragement and expaining that everyone pooped on the potty did the trick here.
Good luck and don't get disappointed if she takes awhile!

boolady
06-17-2008, 09:08 AM
I'd give her the choice.
My nearly 2 year old dd potty trained at about 22 1/2 months and we used a no pressure technique as well. We never made her sit on the potty, but made a huge fuss whenever she did. We started about 19 months, so it did take a bit, but we weren't rushing her because she was so young. What really helped us was naked time. If dd and I were home, she was usually naked from the waist down. After a couple of accidents she peed in the potty whenever she was naked. It took her a bit longer to want to have a bm in the potty and would frequently request a diaper for those. Quiet encouragement and expaining that everyone pooped on the potty did the trick here.
Good luck and don't get disappointed if she takes awhile!

Thanks for the advice-- DD is in the same age range as yours was. Since she's on the younger side, we don't feel any need to pressure her. I appreciate you sharing that.