PDA

View Full Version : Silicone bakeware

SAHMIL
06-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone here have silicone bakeware and what do you think of it?

Does anyone think it's trustworthy or do you think that it would be better to not use it? My fear being that somwhere down the road they're going to say that it is linked to cancer, etc.

egoldber
06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I got some as a gift and I really can't stand it. I think its very hard to use.

brittone2
06-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Currently solid silicone is thought to be very stable and heat-safe. It is different than liquid silicone.

I don't use it often and don't like it for most things, but I'll use the small muffin pans for mini quiches/quiche "muffins". For most things I prefer alternatives like glass, plain stainless steel, or stoneware.

SnuggleBuggles
06-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't use it often and don't like it for most things, but I'll use the small muffin pans for mini quiches/quiche "muffins". For most things I prefer alternatives like glass, plain stainless steel, or stoneware.

Ditto that. I love them for that baking purpose. Otherwise I just use other pans. I love Silpat sheets!

Beth

brittone2
06-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Ditto that. I love them for that baking purpose. Otherwise I just use other pans. I love Silpat sheets!

Beth

I don't have a Silpat sheet but I use a lot of unbleached parchment and that's coated with Silicone from what I understand. I really should spring for a Silpat since I use parchment a lot anyway.

Thatchermom
06-09-2008, 01:50 PM
While I do own some, I NEVER use it for regular baking. I wrap my springform in one for a water-bath drysuit for cheesecake. I freeze baby food in mini-muffin pans. I use them as ice cream cake molds. Those kinds of things. I think of them as utility pieces, not bakeware.

I don't think they have enough rigidity for uniform shape and I don't like the way they (don't) conduct heat and/or form crust. They're useful, but not great for baking.

Healthwise, silicone is considered essentially inert and is even used as a wound and burn dressing. Not that anything is perfect, but it is pretty low-risk.

gatorsmom
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone here have silicone bakeware and what do you think of it?

Does anyone think it's trustworthy or do you think that it would be better to not use it? My fear being that somwhere down the road they're going to say that it is linked to cancer, etc.

I've stayed away from it for that reason too. Well, ok and because any silicone stuff I've seen was pretty expensive. But it was reassuring to read Thatchermom's post. I've always been interested in making the little miniquiches in them for breakfast brunches. Maybe now I"ll do that.

Globetrotter
06-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Healthwise, silicone is considered essentially inert and is even used as a wound and burn dressing. Not that anything is perfect, but it is pretty low-risk.

Good to know! I avoided it thinking it may eventually be found unsafe!

Kris

amycoh
06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Love my silicon muffin cups - they work great, and its a breeze to pop out the muffins and then clean. - throw in the Washing Machine and done! They dont seem to disintegrate. I would never broil with them - but for baking 425 and below they are great.