PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal behavior?

LarsMal
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
For the past 6 months or so, DS (almost 3) has been dressing himself. It's been great. Most of his clothes are mix-n-match, so he just goes in his dresser, picks out what he wants and dresses himself.

Lately he's gotten into "matching". At first we thought it was cute and we were proud of what he could do. But now it seems more like an obsession. For example- he'll watch me get dressed in the morning, or even try to pick out my clothes. Then he'll go into his room and find something that matches what I'm wearing. It doesn't stop there, though. Then he'll want whatever color we have on as his plate, cup, bowl, or whatever while he eats. If we don't match he gets very upset.

Yesterday we went out to lunch. DH and I ordered an ap that cam with tri-colored corn chips. DS had a red sippy cup so he would *only* eat the red chips because they matched his cup. He's constantly on the lookout for things that match, and if I don't praise him when he points it out, he won't let up until I acknowledge the match.

Is this normal? Is it just a phase? Is it just that he's realized he can do something so now he's just enjoying this new skill? And when will it stop? I'm getting a little tired of building my wardrobe around my 3yo just to avoid a meltdown if we don't "match"!!!

Thanks!

deannanb
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I think it is the age - DS isn't obsessing about things that match - but he does get excited when he sees thing that are the "same."

elephantmeg
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
wow, no experience (since I don't have a 3 yo yet) but that would seriously suck to have to color coordinate with a 3 yo :)

LarsMal
06-09-2008, 11:45 AM
wow, no experience (since I don't have a 3 yo yet) but that would seriously suck to have to color coordinate with a 3 yo :)

Luckily I have a pretty basic wardrobe- I wiped JCrew out of their solid color V-neck cotton T's last year so I pretty much have every color he could have!

Weekends are my favorite- then he wants to dress like daddy!

cono0507
06-09-2008, 11:51 AM
My 3 yo loves matching things. He doesn't like to wear things that "don't match" in his eyes. We have lots of Hanna long johns and on occasion, a random top or bottom might be MIA and he'll wear a mismatched pair which he thinks is hilarious and "mommy you are so silly." He doesn't do it with all things but he is intrigued by the principle of matching lately.

sarahsthreads
06-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Normal. Well, it is here anyway! DD insisted I pick a different shirt this morning because the red one I was going to wear didn't match the colors of the flowers in the dress she already had on. Generally I humor her, because I don't really care what colors I wear, and if it's really important to me (like on a day when I have to go into the shop later and want to at least look "put together") she's learned to accept that she can't always pick mommy's clothes.

Bowls, cutlery, cups - all those things must match when she's in certain moods. Though I have to say that it doesn't matter nearly as often now (DD is 3.5) as it did a few months ago, at least there are fewer meltdowns if certain things are in the dishwasher waiting to be cleaned. And I could totally see the whole "chip color must match sippy color" thing happening around here too.

Lately it's evolved from color matching to some other criteria - stripes for both shirt and shorts, even if the colors clash horrifically, or both of us have to wear the same number of pigtails, braids, barettes, etc. (That would probably be less of a problem with a boy!)

Sarah :)

LarsMal
06-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Lately it's evolved from color matching to some other criteria - stripes for both shirt and shorts, even if the colors clash horrifically, or both of us have to wear the same number of pigtails, braids, barettes, etc. (That would probably be less of a problem with a boy!)

Sarah :)

You don't know DS!!! I tried to put pigtails in DD's hair today and at first he had to find 2 pink ponytail holders so they would match her shirt. Then he found 2 for himself b/c he wanted pigtails, too! It's all about matching and fairness around here!

bubbaray
06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
DD#1 LOVES LOVES LOVES it when she and DD#2 match exactly. Down to the socks.