PDA

View Full Version : Do you let DC sleep with toys/dolls?

WatchingThemGrow
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
If I read this question, I'd reply with a no. I don't think it is a particularly good practice. I want them to be so bored they sleep. A lovey is fine, but she's currently flinging little Lambie across the room.

For some reason, DD has been allowed to sleep with her two Corolle dolls. Well, I take that back. They've made it to the crib with her. She's not napping with them. She's quiet in there most of the time, but now with my new Summer Infant Handheld Video monitor, I realize there is a world of play going on in her room.

The Tidoo and Poupette girls are playing see saw on the crib rails, marching, jumping, reading, getting diaper changes, pottying, singing, you name it. It has been rather fun to watch, but it is not okay she's awake. She's so much more pleasant after a nap.

Usually I'd be all about taking them away, but she throws a leg up over the side (in a sleepsack) to go capture the girls and bring them back if I take them. In the past few weeks, she has demonstrated proficiency in jumping out and getting back into the crib. With the dolls, she's staying in there, but not sleeping, usually. WWYD?

citymama
06-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Yep - my 2 y.o. DD gets to choose a friend to take to bed at night - she talks to Tigger or panda or whoever until she falls asleep! She doesn't "play" with them in the way she does during the day. And she absolutely loves cuddling them to sleep. Unlike many other kids, she never attached herself to one toy or lovey. And she doesn't care much for the innumerable dolls she has received as gifts - just cuddly toys! It doesn't seem to hurt in the least in our experience - but every kid is sooo different, so obviously, it's your call!

SnuggleBuggles
06-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Past a year, due to SIDS, I am ok with it. Really, I am more than happy to let dss fall asleep playing. I also know that ds1 likes to have "someone" to talk to while falling asleep and his toys fill that role.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
06-09-2008, 09:52 PM
But what if she's not actually sleeping? I'd feel better about it if she actually napped!

SnuggleBuggles
06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
But what if she's not actually sleeping? I'd feel better about it if she actually napped!

Naptime for ds was like 4 hours- an hour of playing, 2.5 of sleeping, then some more playing. If he was happily playing then I consider that to be good enough. Sleeping is great but at least a bit of time for all of us to just have some down time is a good thing.

Even now that he is almost 6yo we put him to bed at 8-8:30 but it isn't uncommon for him to still be playing in his bed, reading or talking to a stuffed animal till 9:30 or later. When he is tired he goes to sleep. I can't make him fall asleep and I don't think the presence of toys makes a big impact on how or when he falls asleep. Knowing my ds he would find something to play with, even if it was a blanket, if he wasn't ready to go to sleep.

Beth

maylips
06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
I do.

Started with one bear (Theodore E. Bear - my name for him). He's still her favorite.

Then moved to another (Mason, named for the baby who "gave" it to her for Valentine's day).

Now, she LOVES stuffed animals and has 5 or so in her crib. And yes, I sometimes hear her playing with them when she should be napping. She also plays with her mobile music (the mobile is down, but the music box is still attached and she loves punching the buttons). But she eventually falls asleep and I figure she's learning to play by herself too, even if it does mean a lot of fun in her crib.

It is hard not to laugh when I hear her "talking" to them -- TOO cute.

TraciG
09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Jacob has toy's in his pack n play ( where he sleep's ) I like when he wake's up ridiculously early that there for him to play with ! I think it's cute when he wake's up from a nap & I find him playing, WISH that would happen more, these day's he wake's up still tired & cranky !

ahrimie
10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
my baby's a bit similar... i'm trying to get her attached to a lovey, but i think she just likes to chew and hold something. my lo is 4 months old... while i normally would say no as well, my lo seems fine with it in her crib. she's pretty mobile so i'm not worried about sids.

with our video monitor, i also see that my lo will play/talk for 2-20 min sometimes and then falls asleep.. she might also wake up and play a bit more before she starts fussing. i think that's like her down time and honestly, i think it's good for my lo to learn to play by herself--this playing though does seem different than when we are downstairs in the living room.

how long do you leave her for? i leave my lo until she starts fussing.. UNLESS she's been alone for 6 hours and it's daytime.. hahah, then i wake her up. i've just got a sleeping monster.