PDA

View Full Version : what is max height for Roundabout? or what new seat for seldom use?

stillplayswithbarbies
06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I have a friend who is coming to the U.S. from Germany for the summer. They don't have a car there, so they don't have carseats. She does have two Roundabouts here that the grandparents bought last year.

She has twin boys, 2 years old. One is 30 pounds and 36" tall and the other is 33 pounds and 37 inches. Seated height is 15.5" and 16".

Will they still fit in the Roundabouts? (She can't try them because the seats are here in the U.S.) If not, what is a good replacement seat, keeping in mind that they will only use them about once a year for a few days? And that they have to go three across in a rental car with a Parkway for her older son.

Would Sceneras work? I would say Radians, but that's a lot of money for a few weeks of use.

Also, what rental cars will fit three across in the backseat? (assume two Roundabouts and a Parkway) They are hoping to avoid renting a van, is it possible to fit in a "full-size" rental car?

Joolsplus2
06-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Leah's that height and weight, I haven't measured her torso...wait...let me <runs off to bribe 2 yo to sit still next to wall...>...OK, measured her... 13" torso (legs straight, crossed would be higher). The Roundabout is about 15.5", can she compare her current seats to that and see where the kiddos are in relation to the slots? I know it's definitely possible for kids that age and overall height to be too tall for the RA, but it's rather unusual (Leah's about an inch below the top slots in hers, maybe half an inch, and is wearing 3T/4T 90cm clothes).
Graco Platinum Cargos are quite narrow and might work (I haven't scoped out a deal lately, they are usually 99$ and have almost 17 inch slots). Scenera's a little shorter in the harness than the RA (but taller in the shell...go figure...).
I think a Taurus-sized car would work for that combination of seats... the RA's installed with seatbelts should fit next to each other...We rented something completely massive a couple years ago...a Town Car, and I think three regents would have easily fit in that beast...

bubbaray
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't know what the comparable model name is, but Britax sells under the name Romer in Germany. If someone knows the comparable to the Roundabout, then she could try them out in a store in Germany.

HTH

stillplayswithbarbies
06-10-2008, 10:47 AM
what about a Ride Safer Travel vest? Isn't there somewhere that rents those? Will that work for the 2-year-olds for a couple of weeks (if the Roundabouts are indeed too small)? Or are they too hard to deal with?'

she doesn't have seats now, they live in a city without a car.

o_mom
06-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Minimum weight on the small RideSafer is 35 lbs, so wouldn't work for the 2 yos. Depending on the size of the older one, I would be inclined to get one for him. Two Roundabouts and a RSTV would most likely work in just about any 'full-size' rental. A rental should also have a top tether in the center and most likely a shoulder belt center, which will work with the RSTV.

I think the 2 yos would fit in the RAs - FF if not RF. For the next trip, she will have to see if they are over 40 lbs and decide on something at that point. Cargo would be a great choice if they are not. If they are over, then the Graco Nautilus would be about the least expensive higher-weight harness seat. There may be something new by then, though.

Joolsplus2
06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh, that makes things tough (no seats to compare)... Wonder if she could pop down to the baby gear store and take a quick measure?

Ridesafers are only good from 35 and up (and some minimum height, but I'm not sure what).

Maybe she could just get here and see? I can't really imagine they are too tall for the RA (it's a rare huge 2 yo that is, and their measurements just don't seem that big, except for the torso, which it's easy to get wrong. If they are indeed truly too tall, then one trip to to the baby store or walmart to get Evenflo Chases or Graco Cargos would be ok (even if the torso measurements are right, then they are only a little bit over the top slots, their heads should still be well protected from whiplash injury and they aren't over the weight limit).
Ridesafer might be a good choice for the 7 yo if the PW is too wide next to two other seats, though...

o_mom
06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I wonder if she is measuring torso height or to the top of the head? I just measured DS2 - 3 yrs, 30 lbs, 36". His torso height is 14" and he still fits in the RA rear-facing (head an inch below the top, even).

Joolsplus2
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Or maybe taking a measuring tape on the body from bum to shoulder? That'd give you a couple extra inches...?

stillplayswithbarbies
06-10-2008, 02:58 PM
more information - they currently fit in a Romer King TS in Germany. Is that the same size as our Roundabout?

Joolsplus2
06-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah, from what I've seen of it, it's about the same size :)